Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Food for Thought (and Discussion)

Page 52 / 58
Lu_valient
(@lu_valient)
NarniaWeb Nut

@valiantarcher pie isn't usually what we have at Easter, but its likely to only be my immediate family and they won't fuss about it. Also, chocolate!

Yeah, I think I will try the Bieroks without the cabbage.

made by katherine

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2021 5:16 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

@Lu_valient, both those are good reasons for pie at Easter! Also, if you're the one making it and not the rest of the family, they shouldn't complain anyhow, right? Wink (Or at least in theory! Giggle )
Let me know how your version of the Bierox go if you try them, please! Smile Also, since you mentioned venison a couple of times - do you have a favourite way to prepare it?

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2021 6:13 pm
Lu_valient
(@lu_valient)
NarniaWeb Nut

@valiantarcher I mostly make venison pie

made by katherine

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 21, 2021 6:20 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator
This thread has certainly been busy lately! Smile  
Posted by: @gracepevensie15

@snowangel Chocolate Covered Katie has some great recipes! I made this chocolate pudding recipe from her the other day, and it was SO good!

Welcome to NarniaWeb, @gracepevensie15. Oh, yum, I haven't tried that one. I'll add it to my list to try. 

For Pi day, my vegan pumpkin pie turned out pretty good. Before serving the pie I added toasted pecans to the top, the textures were great together. Love I did use a whole can of coconut milk and I felt like the pie had a just hint of coconut flavor. 

The siblings had a sour cream blueberry pie which they were kind enough to eat all in one day so that there were not any tempting leftovers in the frig. Tongue  

Ooh, apple-blackberry pie sounds yummy. @Rya, what would you change in the recipe?

I have been making Chocolate Nice Cream every 10 days or so, if I can get hands on the bananas before the siblings eat them. My dad really likes it and it is super easy to freeze individual servings. Tried blueberry instead of chocolate on Saturday, but the blueberry wasn't as flavorful or as much like ice cream as the chocolate.

I had gluten/wheat over the weekend, and I think I am good with it again. But now I have to go without it for several days. One of my sisters made bread on Friday and it was so good! Thumbs up  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2021 11:58 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I've been super busy lately (and abominably lazy 😛 ) and today I went and picked up some cinnamon rolls and orange rolls from a local small time baker. My van smells amazing and I can't wait to eat them tomorrow for my daughter's birthday. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 13, 2021 5:02 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

I have been wanting to use the oat graham cracker recipe for a pie crust for several months. I baked two crusts today, so tomorrow we will found out if it worked well. I filled one with chocolate chia pudding and one with an apple blackberry jello, I sort of followed a recipe for the chocolate, but the apple blackberry was truly from scratch. Giggle  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2021 10:14 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

"HASH BROWN CRUST VEGGIE PIE"

INGREDIENTS: CRUST

• OVEN: 450 degrees F.
  • PIE PAN: 9 inches is best.
  • 3 cups shredded hash browns. (If frozen, thaw them.)
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of salted butter, melted.

Squeeze as much water as possible out of the hash brown potatoes. You can use towels to wring practically dry.

In the pie pan, mix hash-browns and melted butter. Press into the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes until brown and just a little crisped at the tips.

INGREDIENTS: FILLING

• OVEN: 350 degrees F.
  • Large bowl.
  • Long wide baking sheet (rimmed is better).
  • 3 large eggs, beaten.
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
  • 1 1/4 cups (a little less than 8 ounces) broccoli in itty-bitty pieces. (Or substitute asparagus. Haven't tried it with spinach.)
  • 1 cup (about 4 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded.
  • 1/2 cup minced onion (about one small one)

Mix eggs, milk, and spices.

Add veggie, onions, and cheese.

If you want to sneak in bacon, do it here.

Pour the filling into the cooked hash-browns crust.

Make sure oven has cooled to 350 degrees. Put the pie pan on the middle rack and the baking sheet on a lower rack to catch any drips.

Bake 30 minutes or until done. A test form should come out mostly clean.

Cool outside the oven on a counter rack for 5 minutes before cutting and eating.

(Credit to Ann Maloney, newspaper columnist, food section)

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 19, 2021 5:24 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @the-old-maid

"HASH BROWN CRUST VEGGIE PIE"

!!!!! I'm not a fan of pastry — especially shortcrust (ugh) — but this sounds like a way to make a pie crust that I would actually want to eat! Grin Thanks for sharing this, Old Maid. I may have to try it some time. (Not sure I'd use only broccoli for the veg in the filling, though. I would envision more of a mix of vegetables.)

Meanwhile, talking of food, the National Trust (responsible for many of the best days out I've had during my nearly 10 years in Britain Love ) just dropped this in my inbox a couple of minutes ago: Strawberry Squares I am DEFINITELY going to have to try making those...

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 20, 2021 6:29 am
QueenSuTheGentle
(@queensuthegentle)
NarniaWeb Regular

A few months ago, I made these delectable cinnamon rolls. They turned out so fluffy and sweet. I totally recommend this dessert on a cold day with coffee.

Has anyone else made cinnamon rolls? If so, let me know some delicious recipes. 

Here is a picture Wink  

Just remember, don't worry about being the best, just never forget to try your best!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2021 8:26 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Yum, @queensuthegentle, I love cinnamon rolls. It's been ages since I made any. Today one of my sisters is making bread and she is making some monkey bread. Smile  

My graham cracker crust turnout really good. I would love to make another soon and try it with a different filling.

And my apple-blackberry jello was quite tasty, but should have been closer to set before I put it in the pie crust.

I tried a recipe from Trim Healthy Table for pumpkin pie this week. I made it without a crust, since it needs an S crust and I don't currently have one that works the food sensitivities of my parents. The pumpkin filling was terrific, I did reduce the amount of coconut oil in the recipe by half. It did not need a 1/2 cup of coconut oil, it was nice and cream with a fourth of a cup. 

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 12:35 pm
QueenSuTheGentle
(@queensuthegentle)
NarniaWeb Regular

Thank you! @snowangel 

I love monkey bread and hope to try it in the future. I'm sure it turned out well. 

A few months I made a different type of bread, Foccacia bread! (let me know if you've tried that Smile ) it was really crispy and was honestly great to make with any occasion. 

And I will definitely try that pumpkin pie and the filling, it sounds absolutely mouthwatering. 

QueenSuTheGentle 

Just remember, don't worry about being the best, just never forget to try your best!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 1:02 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

@snowangel, when you say you made the apple blackberry jello pie from scratch, do you mean you made the jello too? It sounds like a tasty combination.

@fantasia, this is the recipe I used for my rhubarb bars last night. I've made it a few times now, and the filling is really good. This time around, my shortbread crust did not do a good job as a crust (still paired nicely with the slightly tart topping). I may not have baked it long enough before putting the topping on? 

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2021 7:47 pm
QueenSuTheGentle
(@queensuthegentle)
NarniaWeb Regular

I was watching some videos on how to make Turkish delight, as it is one of the foods that come to mind when people think of Narnia ?. And just wanted to ask if any of you have made any Turkish Delight, and the tips you have for making it, so in the future, I won't have any mishaps. 

QueenSuTheGentle 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2021 8:38 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

@queensuthegentle, I made Turkish Delight years ago when our kiddos were young. This was my mom's recipe (she made it periodically). My attempt turned out quite well. Even though none of us care for the stuff LOL (I can only eat very small quantities), I wanted to give it a try. I do recall an unusual ingredient (to me) was a key in the recipe ... Rose Water. Years later now, I have tried to find my mom's recipe, to no avail. It must be somewhere, so if I do eventually track it down, I shall post it here. Smile

I don't have any tips, 'though, Su, as it was so long ago that I made it. Giggle Except, find a family or friend recipe, if you can, because those are usually the most reliable.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2021 10:10 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Yeah, I made it with my kids a few years ago when we read LWW for homeschool. The first day it was good, but after that it got.... soggy? Lumpy? It was NOT good. Giggle  

When Walden's LWW premiered in theaters, one of my fellow movie goers bought a couple boxes of the good stuff online and I did enjoy that. Smile So if you get a good recipe, it's quite tasty, but if not, then.... Sick And I'm a terrible candy maker so I can't offer any tips. Wink  

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2021 10:38 am
Page 52 / 58
Share: