Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

New three song Christmas EP from Brian Sauvé.  Cool

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2023 9:54 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

"Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" is one of my all-time favourite Christmas songs. One of the versions I love best is Fernando Ortega's:

But to me, this haunting, beautiful hymn is optimum when sung a cappella. I was a part (lower alto) with a chorale years ago, and we sang this in our tours, without any instrumental accompaniment. Talk about giving one chills!

Yes, @Narnian78, Pachelbel's Canon in D is another favourite of mine. Its beautiful simplicity is striking!

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 13, 2023 7:37 am
Narnian78 liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

There was a Christmas song years ago called "The Christmas Shoes", which reflects on a boy who wants to be shoes for his mom who has been sick and is about to go to be with Jesus.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2023 5:56 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

This CD by John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers is so beautiful!

Wonderful choral music!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2023 11:26 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@narnian78 Truly wonderful. Back in 2008, when I lived in Melbourne, I was in a choir that performed Rutter's Requiem — one of the most beautiful and moving choral works I've ever had the privilege of singing.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 19, 2023 12:43 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here is one of my favorite CD’s of Christmas carols by the Cambridge Singers:

I think it is absolutely beautiful! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 3, 2023 10:28 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Posted by: @jo

"Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence" is one of my all-time favourite Christmas songs. One of the versions I love best is Fernando Ortega's:

I love Fernando Ortega's version, his Christmas Songs album is a favorite at our house. Smile It was played at least twice yesterday afternoon/evening along with Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas 1984. Giggle  

We sang Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence at church yesterday, that's the first time I can recall having sung it at church.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 4, 2023 10:26 am
johobbit liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here is some great Christmas music from the Waverly Consort:

I saw them perform live twice in concerts decades ago at Hope College.  They played the music on antique instruments like those used in the medieval and renaissance periods. It is wonderful music to celebrate the holiday season!  🙂 

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 5, 2023 8:20 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Do you listen to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite during the holiday season?  I usually play my vinyl record and my CD (which also includes Swan Lake).  I have never been to a live performance of the ballet, but I have watched it on television.  I love that music each time I hear it.  I am really enjoying my vinyl and CD's of classical music on my new turntable and tuner on my stereo.  It makes my old records and CD's sound like new.  If you have old classical music and love it I would highly recommend listening to it on new equipment!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 20, 2023 1:54 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

The Nutcracker Suite was a significant Christmas tradition for our family since I was a wee tot. My parents introduced us to a variety of music as I was growing up, and every year took us to a glorious performance of The Nutcracker at Toronto's iconic Massey Hall. Some good neighbour friends came with us. In fact, that ballet so impressed one of the neighbours' kids that she became a ballerina!

To this day, when I listen to The Nutcracker (also Swan Lake or Handel's Messiah), I tear up with longing and joy (very much Sehnsucht!), partly from the great memories of my childhood; partly due to the absolute beauty of Tchaikovsky's amazing, moving music.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2023 9:39 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am listening to my CD’s of soundtracks from the original Star Trek series of the 1960’s. The CD’s sound great and listening to them separately from the episodes of the TV show a very different experience. I have owned these CD’s for over 30 years and still love the music on them. If you are a Star Trek fan I highly recommend them. 🙂

Here is some of the soundtrack music on YouTube: 

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 14, 2024 9:49 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wonder if the people here own the soundtrack music of the Walden films. I bought the music of all three films on CD and really enjoy it.  Some of it seems a little too modern for Narnia such as “Wunderkind” and “Can’t Take It In”, but most of it is very listenable.  I like it very much, and on the whole the soundtracks create a pleasant atmosphere as ambient music. 🙂

I also have always liked the BBC Narnia’s music by Geoffrey Burgon.  I have a CD of it, but the recording was made many years after the TV series. It sounds very nice with the modern technology.  But I wish that the original soundtrack music recordings which were made for the television series were available. It would be nice to hear the original music separately from the TV series. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 17, 2024 1:35 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

I didn't know I needed a TFK and RED collaboration until I heard this. Grin  

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 23, 2024 2:13 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

This music for Holy Week by King’s College Choir is so beautiful!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 24, 2024 11:30 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

There's a song that we sometime sing in our church "Another In The Fire". It's inspired by the famous story of Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego, where God was walking with them in the fiery furnace.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2024 3:19 pm
Glenwit and Narnian78 liked
Page 97 / 98
Share: