Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Camping- it's in tents!

Page 2 / 19
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

This to pass along to anyone in high mosquito, and tick areas. I was advised to spray down the camp with listerene, the old fashoned kind.
Even though it is no replacement for regular repellent, it does deterr the little pests. With the mist setting I noticed the mosquitos dropped in mid flight. As for ticks, I placed one in a circle made of it, and it would not leave the center.
I have also found that meat tenderizer, mixed with water to make a gritty paste can be rubbed onto mosquito bits to ease the itch. Warning though. Do not rub it into bites that you have scratched raw. The salt tends to sting.

Sandy, may you enjoy the camping experience. Whenever you can, just sit, watch, and listen.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 20, 2010 5:19 pm
sandyentersNarnia
(@sandyentersnarnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hey Boy Scout, I bet you know the basic knot-tying? The Square knot etc?

"Two sides of the same coin"

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 21, 2010 1:24 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Glacier is a beautiful place! When we camped there, however, we only had about 36 hours of nice weather (fortunately, we used part of that time to travel the main park road)...after that, heavy rains set in for the next week or so (the weather that summer, according to local newspapers, was very unusual, with an omega-block directing storms through northern Montana).

On our return we stopped by the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. Highly recommended if you're at all interested in history.

Ouch. Yeah I was there last year for a brief time and there was a forecast of snow one night! In August lol. So, I'm gonna really pack and prepare for anything this time.
What campground were you at? I was at Two Medicine last year.
Never seen that Monument, is it in Montana or Wyoming?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2010 2:41 pm
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hey Boy Scout, I bet you know the basic knot-tying? The Square knot etc?

The way my Scoutmaster taught me was to remember a little mnemonic. "Left over right...right over left".

I only remember a few knots from my scouting days and use em' on occasion. The clove hitch, lark's head, and the sheepshank. We also learned how to make a hangman's noose, but I'm keeping that one on the down low. ;))

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2010 3:02 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Nice knot diagrams there, Shadowlander.

Was I a Boy Scout as a kid?

I'm a frayed knot.

*runs from rotten tomatoes*

Ahem...back to the topic at hand:

What campground were you at? ...Never seen that Monument, is it in Montana or Wyoming?

We camped in the St Mary Campground on the eastern side of the park.

The Little Bighorn Monument is in south central Montana, just north of Wyoming, about halfway between Billings and Sheridan. It's conveniently located just off Interstate 90.

A couple of random camping stories:

Last Memorial Day, there were a lot of tent caterpillars all over the place and we were worried that 2 little girls in our group (age 9 and 11) would be rather afraid of them since they don't like bugs at home. Instead, they went around collecting them and wanted to take them home. ;))

Another time, some long-time friends brought their little daughter, maybe 2 years old, camping with us. During the night she woke up screaming, probably from a nightmare. Of course, sound really carries in those quiet nights, and the parents were trying to calm her down. "I don't want to be quiet! I don't want to go to sleep!" was her response.

That was about 20 years ago. It still comes up on occasion. ;))

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2010 8:09 pm
sandyentersNarnia
(@sandyentersnarnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

Nice Shadowlandwer, is that a square knot? Well, the knots are really confusing especially the advanced ones. I kinda like the sheep shank knot. It's cute.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2010 10:42 pm
Eagle Scout
(@eagle-scout)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Know my knots. I hate them, but I know them. I had to spend a extra hour just to get that reiqurment done! X(

memento mori

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 27, 2010 10:56 am
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Just got back from a rendezvouse. Just got there in my new 1800's style outfit, and I had to meet the camp character. Doc, (that's his camp name I found out later) apparently has a problem with people wearing new white pants. He promptly smudged them with mud from his moccasin.
Thankfully I was able to avoid any further anointings from himas the weekend went on, including some coffee. Nice guy.
Met up with my friend and set about getting gear in place. Now many rendezvouse are sticklers about period dress, and gear, but you can have some modern stuff out of sight. Lets face it, if you need to get up to see if the latrin door works in the middle of the night you are not waiting to light a candle, but make use of a flashlight ;)
While I enjoyed trading with folks, selling lucets, and such, most of the adventure is meeting the people. While I found some crude characters, most were very friendly. Though I was told I would never starve, I worried at first about meals, and prepaired for cooking my own. No worries, as our neighbors had plenty of extra, and were glad to share. I in turn shared the banana bread my wife made for the occasion, which quickly vanished. Need I say she is an excellent cook :D
One of my desires was to practice tomahawk throwing. I am hoping to be able to eventually compete. My hopes were dashed however. After seeing a young tadpole of no more than three years sticking his hawk into the target on every throw, I gave it a try. Not only could I not get them to stick, I threw one that bounced clear over the target, and backstop :((
Thankfully, one of the regulars, the blacksmith actually, came to my assistance. After much patience, he showed me how to improve my stance, and such to where I was able to stick them in the wood consistantly. Still jokingly innacurate, but they stuck.
The only real dissapointment was that there was no one having any form of service on Sunday morning. But after I mentioned this to the organizers I hope this will change.
I know I have been long winded, but as my wife has pointed out my more childish whims has been acheived.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2010 5:22 pm
sandyentersNarnia
(@sandyentersnarnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

Boy scout, well, I think it really is important to know those. Especially making tents?? Or climbing down a tree?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 27, 2010 11:25 pm
Elanor
(@elanor)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Ooh, camping is fun!!! I like best the informal, at someone's house, kind of camping. Getting together with a bunch of girls, crowding into one huge tent, talking till two . . Fun!!
But then when we get to the sleeping part - it isn't so great. :p
I've only gone 3 or 4 times, actually.

NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2010 6:56 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

^ Getting to Sleep the first few nights is always hard in a tent!

One time, in Colorado, me and my Dad were tenting and we were sitting by our campfire. Suddenly I heard footsteps on the road, and a muffled "rooo!" sound. Then a huge male elk walked right through our campsite about 10 ft. from the fire! =)) I almost jumped out of my skin LOL. He wasn't afraid at all.

Anyways, for Christmas my Dad gave me a backcountry backpack, I can't wait for summer! I'm a little nervous about bears though!

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2010 5:06 am
Valiant
(@valiant)
NarniaWeb Guru

The only time I've gone camping was with my school as a sort of retreat. It was fun. :)
Well I've also gone camping with my cousins in South Africa. That was
really cool as well!
I wish I could convince my family to do it but they aren't really in to camping. :(

Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2010 5:46 am
Lady Haleth
(@lady-haleth)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I've been camping in the Appalachians three times. And I have to tell the bear story:
It was the first time I'd been camping in years. We [me, my mom, and my little sister] were camping in Virginia, and we saw a bear--actually, two bears--in the distance, and we ran screaming to the car. Then, that evening, after we came back from a nature hike, we were in our tent with the light shining behind us so the rest of our campsite was silhouetted on the tent wall. I see this furry shape climbing on the campsite table, and I'm really scared for a minute because I thought it was a bear. Then my mom or my sister said "it has a bushy tail!" My supposed 'bear' was actually a raccoon! =))

The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2010 1:58 pm
Puddleglum
(@puddleglum)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Our Troop is actually sending some scouts on a cave camping trip in January. Yep, sleepng in a real cave. Long drive ( six hours ), but well worth it. Even though the scouts are mostly napping by the the time we get there (around 11pm ) they suddenly awake, and are crawling in, and over everything.
The biggest challenge is keeping dry. First year a scout didn't cover his sleeping bag, and the water dripping from the ceiling drenched it. Nice thing is the temperature is always around 52-55 F. So, if it's freezing outside we can actually warm up in the cave.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2010 6:37 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

camping at Soulfest this year (in August) was way better than it has been. :D no rain!

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 30, 2010 4:59 am
Page 2 / 19
Share: