Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Books: 2nd Edition

Page 200 / 201
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

I've read several of Dorothy L. Sayers' books about Lord Peter Wimsey, but never Clouds of Witness.

The Norwegian National Library launched a great project several years ago - they would scan, and make available for online reading, every book that had been published in Norwegian (even translations) in Norway in the last century (subject to the publishers' consent, and meant to be read-only).

So I checked this morning, and Clouds of Witness has been translated and is included in that project, so I've opened it in my browser and have read the first chapter (in Norwegian).

Is this one of her first books? So far I think that it is no less brilliant than some of her later books that I've read.

Btw, if I'm not mistaken, this is my first post in this thread, and I haven't even read it much. But I noticed Dorothy Sayers, who is one my favorite crime writers, and was inspired to finally have a go at Clouds of Witness.

Is the thread only about fiction and poetry?

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

Posted : March 19, 2023 8:40 pm
SnowAngel liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

@Varna, welcome to the Books topic. Grin I'm glad you ventured in here. Some of us read Dorothy Sayers, yes. My dad, was a big Sayers devotee, alongside Dickens, H.V. Morton, Agatha Christie, and numerous non-fiction authors. Yes, Clouds of Witnesses was an early novel of Sayers'.

This thread has both fiction and non-fiction included. I, being a huge non-fiction person (specifically biography and autobiography), mostly post about that genre. But many here read more fiction, so it's quite an eclectic thread. As for poetry, there is another thread dedicated to that subject: https://community.narniaweb.com/index.php/community/postid/667/. Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : March 20, 2023 4:48 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

A fine biography of Lewis is The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis by Alan Jacobs. I am reading it now and I would recommend it to anyone. There are so many details of his life in this book which I never knew before. It begins with Lewis’s early and tells the complete story of his life. The writing is lively and interesting, and it is almost as if Mr. Jacobs knew Lewis personally.  Being published in 2005 it has been in print for a while, but I only found it only recently in my local library.  I recommend it highly. 🙂

Posted : March 22, 2023 9:08 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@narnian78 I've got that book and I really enjoyed it too! I had previously tried reading a couple of other Lewis biographies that I found very dry and slow-paced, but The Narnian was excellent — not too long and not too short, and a very engaging and insightful read. Glad you liked it too.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : March 22, 2023 10:49 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

A few years ago, I've read the Anne of Green Gables series. I've seen the three movies before I read the books. And after reading the books, I've discovered that the books were different than the movies. One that always stick out to me is "Kindred Spirits". For the time I was on Narniaweb, I've never realized I would meet kindred spirits on here.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : March 26, 2023 7:48 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

@Jo, glad you enjoyed the BBC Wimsey dramas!

@Cobalt-Jade, I was aware of the 'human computers', but hadn't heard about the women at Edwards Air Force Base before - impressive!

@SnowAngel, how are you coming (and enjoying) with the Wimsey series? I'm glad you enjoyed Clouds of Witness!
It was good for discussion! Giggle But I do appreciate the further clarification and examples - it sounds like at least part of the issue is that they didn't realise/appreciate their lack of basic life skills, which would drive me crazy. Tongue ...oh, wow, that stew example is pretty bad - one would hope she would have enough conceptual understanding of heat transfer to think that one through a bit more. XD Giggle
Do you have any recommendations for books about the Reformers' wives? And neat about the Puritans in your family geneology! Grin Hope you can find some good books!

@Varna, I hope you enjoy Clouds of Witness! Grin

@Jasmine_Tarkheena, did you have a favourite book in the Anne of Green Gables series?

I'm currently trying to finish a reread of The Silver Chair and a first read of The Secret Garden - would like to finish both this week, but we'll see.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Posted : March 26, 2023 8:04 pm
johobbit liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @valiantarcher

@Jasmine_Tarkheena, did you have a favourite book in the Anne of Green Gables series?

That is a tough one. I lean towards the first, though. The first 6 books is mostly about her, then in the last two, it focuses more on her children. So that's an interesting transition there.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : March 26, 2023 8:19 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@Jasmine_Tarkheena, the first Anne book is actually the only one I made it through. Giggle It's a good one and I understand it being your favourite!

I managed to finish both The Silver Chair and The Secret Garden this week! Grin I'm hoping to start working through some books on my library to-read list in April, but we'll see how it goes.

Posted : March 31, 2023 7:50 pm
johobbit liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

It's been so long that I have forgotten who else was getting chapters for the Silent Bells with me? I haven't received a chapter update in forever. I got an email tonight reminding me of my subscription and when I looked it didn't appear I've been charged since 2020. I had this awful thought that my credit card is out of date and I've missed a whole bunch of issues, but I would have thought they'd have emailed me about that. 

On the other hand, I haven't seen anyone on here mention that book in forever, so I was just wondering what's going on? I couldn't find any info on the website or FB page either. Or did he complete the book and I missed that too?

Posted : March 31, 2023 8:38 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@fantasia, I'll have to dig up the email but I got one late last year, I think, with an update. Basically, N. D. Wilson has continued to have some heavy health complications (he mentioned daily severe migraines, I think) from the brain tumour he had removed a few years back and it sounded like he's been unable to write much if at all since then. Sad I think Mel or SA could probably speak better to when the last installment came out, but it has been a couple years at least. But as far as I know, it's still ongoing - just a bit on hold right now.

Posted : March 31, 2023 9:09 pm
fantasia liked
johobbit
(@jo)

I managed to finish both The Silver Chair and The Secret Garden this week! Grin

Grin Oooh, really curious to know your thoughts on The Secret Garden, Valia! Have you any of Burnett's others, such as A Litttle Princess or Little Lord Fauntleroy? A Little Princess is a favourite of mine.

I finished The Boys in the Boat, and definitely recommend it. The author focuses most on one of the rowers, Joe Rantz, but covers the entire crew too. Interesting history!

I have just started Amazing Grace: the life of John Newton and the surprising story behind his song. Years ago I read Newton's own autobiography, Out of the Depths (fascinating), but as more detail of his life has come to light, Dr. Bruce Hindmarsh and British author/story-teller Craig Borlase collaborated on this brand new biography. Very good thus far, particularly the facts in Newton's life (1725-1807) of which I had previously been unaware.

I finished a fun read on our family holiday recently, Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson (published in 1934). It is charming, fun, insightful, with a few twists. A humorous, lighter read!

Posted : April 1, 2023 4:25 am
Courtenay liked
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@Jo, I'm glad you enjoyed The Boys in a Boat! I've read Little Lord Fauntleroy but not A Little Princess yet.
Overall, I enjoyed The Secret Garden but felt the first 2/3rds or so were better than the latter part.

Spoiler
I struggled to make it through Burnett's quasi-spiritualism in her handling of Magic (I was especially disappointed in Mrs. Sowerby's chalking it up to the Big Good Thing or whatever instead of pointing children to God - she should've known better), and the garden dream that turned Archibald Craven around was a bit much. But the children and Ben and Martha were great, and I really appreciated Mrs. Sowerby except for that major failing. I enjoyed the humour, especially in sharing the robins' viewpoints and Mary and Colin trying to eat enough without giving up the masquerade of Colin being ill, and her descriptions of the garden and the way the children interact and learn and grow were wonderful. The handling of Magic was really the only major complaint I had, but it overshadowed my enjoyment more than I would've liked.

Posted : April 1, 2023 11:04 am
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @varna

I've read several of Dorothy L. Sayers' books about Lord Peter Wimsey, but never Clouds of Witness.

Guess which book I just found on my shelf?  And I didn't know I had it.  Now, for time to read it.

Posted by: @jo

Oooh, really curious to know your thoughts on The Secret Garden, Valia! Have you any of Burnett's others, such as A Litttle Princess or Little Lord Fauntleroy? A Little Princess is a favourite of mine.

Overall, I enjoyed The Secret Garden but felt the first 2/3rds or so were better than the latter part.

Yeah, Burnett got even weirder later on; particularly after her elder son died.  I still enjoy most of her books, my all time favourites being T. Tembarom, The Shuttle, and The Lost Prince.  But The Secret Garden and A Little Princess hold a special place, too, probably because they were the first ones I read.

Posted by: @jo

I finished a fun read on our family holiday recently, Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson (published in 1934). It is charming, fun, insightful, with a few twists. A humorous, lighter read!

Oh yes! I love D.E. Stevenson; I'd call her genre Vintage Domestic Fiction, I think, for lack of a better description.  Vittoria Cottage and The English Air (both set in WWII) are my favourites, again probably since they were the first. (I think I see a pattern emerging 😉 )  I have all of her books now, though some are newer copies, and heavily abridged apparently (some editors ought to be keelhauled).

Do you ever stop to think, when reading a book by an author you enjoy, and yet this particular one doesn't come up to scratch: "What if I had read this one first?"  You might never have tried any other, and what a loss that would be.  I wonder how many times I've done that?

Currently, I hate/ought to hate books thoroughly; I'm in the middle of boxing up my extensive library, and it's a big job.  The worst of it, really, is how often I'd like to stop and reread some treasure, and must grimly force myself to keep packing.  Hard, hard life!

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

Posted : April 1, 2023 2:08 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

@Valia, I'm right with you there on what you wrote in your Spoiler re The Secret Garden. Focus on the Family's wonderful radio theatre version does not include this concerning aspect (understandably), 'though they do include the dream. Martha Sowerby has always been one of my favourite fictional characters, and I especially love the way FotF's adaptation portrays her.

Posted by: @aileth

my all time favourites being T. Tembarom, The Shuttle, and The Lost Prince

I read The Lost Prince years ago, and must refresh my memory on that one. The other two I have not yet read ... but will, now that you have recommended them. Smile

I'd call her genre Vintage Domestic Fiction, I think, for lack of a better description.  Vittoria Cottage and The English Air (both set in WWII) are my favourites,

Good description of Stevenson's genre. I must get my hands on Vittoria Cottage and The English Air. Thanks for the hat tip for these too! Have you read the rest of the Buncle books? I have heard the first one is the best.

The worst of it, really, is how often I'd like to stop and reread some treasure, and must grimly force myself to keep packing.

Truly, a massive job! And the trickiest part is, as you say, determining not to sit down and re-read any number of books. Giggle Say, are you moving? (PM me. LOL )

Posted : April 1, 2023 3:48 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@aileth, yeah, I've heard some things that make me suspicious of Burnett's work in general. But I'm glad to have read the two I have and think I will get to A Little Princess sometime still.
I too have probably given up on authors because I've read their weaker books, but unless it's really egregious, I do try to give authors a second chance if other books sound good. Giggle All the best with packing up your library!

@Jo, I've heard FotF's adaptation before and did think about it and the fact that they reduced the Magic element while reading the book, though I don't remember too much about their portrayal of Mrs. Sowerby.

Posted : April 1, 2023 8:13 pm
Page 200 / 201
Share: