Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Books: 2nd Edition

Page 189 / 201
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @narnian78

I’m just saying that people should not say that biographies and historical fiction are tricking kids into learning about history.

OK, I think I understand what you're saying now. 

FWIW, while I wasn't attracted to historical fiction as a kid, I also wasn't attracted to books set in modern day focusing on ordinary kids dealing with teachers, parents, siblings, etc. Since I could experience all those things in my everyday life, I saw no reason to read books about them. Seemed like a waste of imagination. My tastes ran to the melodramatic, the fantastic and the comedic. So maybe I'm just not the target audience for realistic fiction at all. Giggle    But now that I'm an adult, I can admire the realism of those books when they're successful. Making something that feels exactly like it could in real life is a very tricky balancing act for a writer. Still probably not my favorite thing to read but I admire the skill. 

FWIW, aren't large parts of the Little House books just describing the living conditions of the characters? (The housing, furniture, food, chores, games, etc.) I don't see how that can't be described as a history lesson for kids posing as a novel. No idea  

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Posted : July 13, 2022 7:46 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

I have not read as much this month as I was hoping to, but I've still read The Keeper of the Bees by Gene Stratton-Porter, The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare, Double Minds by Terri Blackstock, and Wolf Soldier (Lightraiders Academy #1) by James R. Hannibal.

I'm currently reading Predator by Terri Blackstock, another library book that Scarlet recommended. Smile  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Posted : July 23, 2022 1:50 pm
NarnianRose
(@narnianrose)
NarniaWeb Regular

I am an avid reader. When my life allows, I can easily read one 300-page book in a day. Right now, my current interest in Christian romance mysteries. However, give me about a week and I'll be reading a totally different genre Smile  

@col-klink You articulate your point well. Like any genre, historical fiction is not for everyone. I guess that is why there are so many genres and subgenres. Smile  I would agree with you about historical fiction. Specifically, "making something that feels exactly like it could in real life is a very tricky balancing act for a writer." I am a historical fiction fan, mostly due to my mom using great historical fiction as a part of our history class. Now as a young adult, I still enjoy picking up children's historical fiction. Some books are extremely well written and draw me into the story so well that I believe I am a part of the adventure. However, I have also read historical fiction books that left a lot to be desired.

Posted : July 23, 2022 4:33 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I’m reading another lighthouse book. It’s Guardians of the Lights: Stories of U. S. Lighthouse Keepers by Elinore De Wire.  The stories of the lighthouse keepers and the hardships they had to endure is fascinating reading.  In the nineteenth century they were often isolated and without medical help or companionship in their loneliness.  They often lived so far away from other people.

Posted : July 30, 2022 4:10 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've read the Anne of Green Gables series a couple of years back. Before reading the books, I've watched the movie trilogy produced by Sullivan (though if I remember correctly, the second movie was a combination of Anne of Avonlea, Anne of the Island, and Anne of Windy Poplars). I've also watched the animated series on PBS when I was a kid. After reading the books, I've realized the movies were so different.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

Posted : August 12, 2022 2:02 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am rereading an old paperback book from the 1970’s Star Trek: The New Voyages. The last time I read it was many years ago so to me it is almost like a new book. The “new” in the title comes from the stories being new ones at the time that the book was published. They were newly created adventures based on the original series of the 1960’s. There is also a second volume of more stories that I have never read before, which I think will be well worth reading. If you are Star Trek fan these voyages are certainly worth it. 🙂

Posted : August 13, 2022 7:59 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I am pretty sure I read that book at one point! Was one of the stories called "The Procrustaean Petard"?

Posted : August 13, 2022 11:39 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@cobalt-jade

That story is in volume 2. I’m pretty sure that I haven’t read it before since I only read volume 1.

Posted : August 13, 2022 12:47 pm
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

I just went on a book buying spree at the local thrift store. They had a sale where you'd get one book free if you bought so many, and they were already so cheap and I lucked out in finding some interesting ones!

One such luck was a very good used copy of "The Screwtape Letters". I had wanted to read this for SO LONG, and just started reading the first two letters, and this is just such an interesting book already from a very interesting perspective so I am excited! It's also so weird how relevant Lewis' writing always seems to be, despite being written decades ago.

Posted : August 24, 2022 4:56 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@kokoro-hane Hope you enjoy it! I love the dark humour and sharp insight in The Screwtape Letters. Apparently Lewis got the idea for it when he was sitting in church (I think it was his local parish church at Headington Quarry, which he usually attended) listening to a rather boring sermon from the minister, and his mind was wandering and he found himself starting to imagine how a devil would advise an apprentice devil to make use of this sort of moment... Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : August 24, 2022 5:29 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@kokoro-hane I always find myself described in that book. Oh dear! Lewis knew what he was writing about -  humans are so weak.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : August 24, 2022 5:51 pm
Kokoro Hane
(@kokoro-hane)
NarniaWeb Regular

@courtenay Now that is an interesting story behind the inspiration! I do think such entities probably do take advantage of times like that!

@coracle That we are, which is why I am thankful God is strong ^^

Posted : August 25, 2022 9:18 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

If you love ghost stories and lighthouses I recommend Haunted Lighthouses by Ray Jones. The book tells of stories of light keepers who died many years ago and their ghosts still haunt the lighthouses. It’s like something out of the Twilight Zone. I am assuming that the stories are just folklore, but sometimes one wonders if they might be true. 🙂

Posted : August 25, 2022 10:17 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

I've been reading in spurts again, earlier this month I read a bunch of Dashiell Hammett stories and then I read A Gown of Spanish Lace by Janette Oke and Romanov by Nadine Brandes. I had read the Dashiell Hammett stories and A Gown of Spanish Lace before, but Romanov was a first time. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read Romanov because I didn't enjoy Nadine Brandes' previous release Fawkes. But little sis liked it, so I read it and, yes, it is better than Fawkes

Right now I am reading Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski because I enjoy reading classic kids books again. It's the only longer Lois Lenski book that my library has, I would love to get my hands on some of the other ones like Corn Farm Boy. I know I read several others has a kid, but I don't remember for sure which ones I read versus the ones I wanted to read.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Posted : August 26, 2022 9:36 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

@snowangel I liked the blurb for Fawkes but was not impressed at all by the execution. Romanov would have to be significantly better to make me try again, though it's good to hear there's improvement. Maybe if the next book sounds interesting. Giggle  

I'm currently reading a biography of Julia Child. I have the impression that the author was working with interviews with people who knew Julia and her family, but so far it doesn't seem like there's much about Julia from Julia's perspective--only speculation. Her life makes for interesting reading but I think I'm coming away with more questions about how one goes about choosing what to include in a biography--and what I expect to see when I pick one up. 

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : August 26, 2022 2:46 pm
Page 189 / 201
Share: