Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Books: 2nd Edition

Page 177 / 201
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I finished Piranesi (and The Prayers of Jane Austen). This is the fastest I've worked through a Christmas book haul in years. Giggle  

I knew I was in for a treat with Piranesi when the epigraph was from The Magician's Nephew! I kept looking for other Narnia references as I went.

Spoiler
I think overall this is much more of a Ransom-style book than Narnia, although obviously Uncle Andrew's mindset and character had a great deal of influence on the story--Ketterly, the multiple worlds, the high-minded "lonely destiny" of the magicians/scientists. I noticed a reference to Tumnus and Lucy, and it seemed there were some other references to the Inklings and their books, but I didn't stop to keep track.

I was much more pleased with the ending than I feared I would be. I kept expecting the narrator (I'm not sure what to call him at this point in the story) to choose the House forever, and I'm very grateful he didn't. This synthesis of Matthew Rose Sorensen and Piranesi is the perfect ending of the story--blending the elements of identity that have been woven throughout the story into a new whole. That he and Raphael (not an idle name choice, with her biblical imagery of lanterns and her role as Ariadne) are able to visit the House whenever they like is just icing on the cake. This is definitely one I'll need to reread. I don't think I got nearly a third of what is going on here. It reminds me of Borges and Gene Wolfe--lots of intellectual aerobatics going on beneath the surface.

My next reading goal is to catch myself up on Dresden, as I have a story collection and two novels from that series to read now.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

Posted : December 28, 2020 3:30 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

Turns out Wintersong is not a retelling of Tatterhood but more inspired by a combination of The Goblin Market by Christina Rosetti and Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst's violin version of Franz Schubert's Der Elkonig. I didn't dislike it as a whole, but there were a lot of things that I didn't really like. And pretty much everything I wanted to happen didn't happen. It's the sort of book I probably would have liked when I was 16 (the author said she wrote it for her 16-year-old self), but as an adult there were too many parts that I wasn't comfortable with.

Also finished Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir. It's a good sequel to Gideon the Ninth, but the stylistic issues I had with the first one were somehow more bothersome in the second. And most of the narrative was in second person which I generally prefer in small doses. The lore continued to be intriguing, but I'm not sure I'll be reading the third book when it comes out.

Up next, YA's January book is Jane, Unlimited by Kristin Cashore. The main character goes to a magic house where she experiences five different paths her life could take and she must then choose one. The reviews make it sound like a continuous story within a story sort of narrative.

I also got several books for Christmas, including Diana Wynne Jones' Reflections, On the Magic of Writing and the first Temeraire book. And the deadline for voting for next year's scifi books was on Monday so hopefully I'll know what book to order for that soon.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : December 30, 2020 4:17 pm
Carley
(@carley)
Member Knight of NarniaWeb

For Christmas, I was given a special edition of Pride and Prejudice.  It is the whole novel, but with pockets throughout that hold replicas of nineteen letters from the story.  I was also given a book about the making of the 1995 Pride and Prejudice tv series.  I can't wait to read both of them! Smile  

Posted : December 31, 2020 6:24 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@carley Ooh wow! I've heard of the new edition of P&P with the replica letters in it, but haven't seen it yet. It sounds like a wonderful way of getting "into" the story, as of course there are several points where a letter provides a crucial twist in the plot. (Especially Darcy's explanations after his disastrous proposal, and Jane's announcement of the dreadful news about Lydia...) Would love to hear your thoughts on this version when you've read it.

I also have a "making of" book about the 1995 TV series, possibly the same one you've got — it's really interesting and worth reading. Smile Happy New Year to you!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

Posted : January 1, 2021 1:39 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @mel

@fantasiaMary Emma and Company is one of the series I haven't read yet. So my vote is that you read it as soon as possible. Giggle  

I have now officially read it and enjoyed it ALMOST as much as the first three. But I think I'm going to take a break from the series for a bit now. As much as I really love every single book I've read in the series... 

Spoiler
...with the exception of The Home Ranch, every book is a start-over-from-scratch story, and I want things to be stable for a bit.

And reading through the reviews without reading through spoilers, I think the general, overall favorite books are done and it goes down ever-so-slightly from here. Wink But I DEFINITELY plan to come back and finish this series later on.

Today I picked up my husband's brand new copy of Dune. I've been wanting to reread this one for years and hadn't as his copy was lost. But he got a new one for Christmas and I stole it. Devil Not really, he gets first dibs, I'll just pick along on it as I can. Smile  

Posted : January 6, 2021 3:51 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

@shastastwin, I'm glad you enjoyed Piranesi! I do feel like a reread would be useful to try to ferret out some more references and allusions.

@dot, Jane, Unlimited sounds like it could be a lot of fun - hopefully it is!

What great gifts, @Carley! Grin If that Making-Of book is what I think it is, my mom has it - unfortunately for her, it's been well-loved and is not in great shape anymore. But we've enjoyed it. Giggle

@fantasia, did you get your husband Dune for Christmas? Wink

I speedread through a reread of the Percy Jackson series over the past week - I'm actually quite surprised because I never make it through rereads of series. Giggle It held up well to my memories; they were fun, though I liked the first half better than the second half. I have now moved on to something completely different - the complete stories of Edgar Allan Poe. Tongue I don't think I'll be speedreading it, but I had to start something while I waited for my library books to come in, and it's been sitting on my shelf for a while.

Speaking of, Rhythm of War is supposed to be heading my way now. Granted, that doesn't necessarily mean much because there's another book that must've gotten stuck in the corner of the truck or something since it's been listed as "in transit" for two weeks now. Tongue

Death is swallowed up in victory.

Posted : January 6, 2021 8:15 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

I should put A Christmas Carol on my list to read since I have never read more than a snippet, I only have 150 other books on my Goodreads to-read shelf. Giggle  

I finished Chosen People by Robert Whitlow, and even though I enjoyed it, instead of starting the second book, I started reading Civil War Commando by Jerome Preisler. But then I had to switch to Promised Land because it's due back at the library on Saturday. However I was enjoying reading Civil War Commando way more than I am Promised Land.

Oh, great, chapter 9 arrived yesterday, I am getting so far behind on The Silent Bells. And the siblings are getting a little crank because I won't share what I haven't read. I would love to know how many chapters it is going to be.

I have set of my Goodreads goal for the year at 130 books. I finished 144 total books in 2020, but missed my goal of 24,000 pages. I am going to try for it again this year, but I am already off to a slow start.

These are my books finished in 2021 so far:

• God's Very Good Idea by Trillia J. Newbell - 4 stars
  • Grandfather's Christmas Tree by Keith Strand - 3 stars
  • Just Right For Christmas by Birdie Black and Rosalind Beardshaw - 3 stars
  • Grace Canceled by Dana Loesch (audiobook) - 4 stars

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Posted : January 7, 2021 2:01 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @valiantarcher

@fantasia, did you get your husband Dune for Christmas? Wink

Nope, his parents did. Wink  

Posted : January 9, 2021 11:46 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

SnowAngel, last time someone asked, N.D. Wilson didn't even know how many chapters it was going to be. Giggle He thought maybe up to 30. I just got Chapter 10 - have you gotten it yet?

Gotcha, fantasia. Giggle

Rhythm of War did actually arrive and I started it Saturday; it's been slow going so far due to my schedule (I haven't even made it to the first Interlude Crying ). I'm kind of regretting not actually rereading or at least thumbing more through the preceding book - it turns out I remember pretty much nothing about what's been happening in the world, just some of what has happened to the characters. Tongue My favourite thing so far is

Spoiler
is Adolin dragging Kaladin out to the bar and Kaladin realising he's been outmaneuvered a few times. Giggle Also, surprisingly to me, I enjoyed Navani's flying ship and her joy at it and the fabrial research - she's always been low on the list of characters for me.

Posted : January 13, 2021 6:08 pm
SnowAngel liked
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I caught up on Dresden Files (Battle Ground was a rough book emotionally, more so than I'd anticipated, and I'm still not sure I'm happy with how everything panned out).

I'm currently reading Dark Disciple, a Star Wars novel based on unproduced episodes of the Clone Wars TV show. It focuses on Asajj Ventress, who's been a favorite antagonist of mine since she was introduced in the original Clone Wars animation that aired between Episodes II and III.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

Posted : January 14, 2021 1:37 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

SnowAngel, last time someone asked, N.D. Wilson didn't even know how many chapters it was going to be. Giggle He thought maybe up to 30. I just got Chapter 10 - have you gotten it yet?

Oh, I hope it's not quite that long. Nope, I am still waiting for chapter 10.

I'm still reading Civil War Commando by Jerome Preisler and I started Fortitude by Dan Crenshaw. I had hoped to finish Civil War Commando yesterday, but I ended spending Sunday afternoon playing board games with the siblings.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Posted : January 18, 2021 1:52 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

stwin, hope Dark Disciple is more rewarding for you!

SA, well, the first three books are either 20 or 22 chapters, so maybe The Silent Bells will hit closer to that length. Smile

Still working on Rhythm of War - I've just started Part Three but I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to return it unfinished and then get back on the hold list since it goes back end of the week. :/ A few thoughts.

Spoiler
The invasion happened a lot faster than I thought it would!! My guess is Kaladin is still awake and somewhat active since he's at Ideal 3.9 or something, since he almost swore the fourth one. I've lost count of Lift's ideals, but she's probably pretty close too - or it's because she's special.
I can't believe that Navani is having my favourite perspective right now. Also, the engineers are finally getting appreciated but it's by the Lady of Wishes/Pain? Gah! And I'm not even sure what's going on with Kaladin now (though I am somewhat relieved to find out the killing of the Regal in the clinic happened here and not at the very end of the book as I thought since I accidentally ran across that spoiler) - he just needs to hurry up with the Fourth Ideal, I think, and then take a really nice break when everything is sorted, maybe go on vacation with Adolin and Shallan or something...
Speaking of - ADOLIN!!! He was wonderful in saving the captain, and then demanding to stand trial so that the honourspren will talk to him. AND NEITHER HE NOR SHALLAN GET A PERSPECTIVE IN THE THIRD PART? WE HAVE TO WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON??? Not sure what's going on with Pattern either - I wouldn't put him doing stuff secretly to help Shallan past him, but I also don't remember what's going on with the Ghostbloods enough to know if he could possibly be helping her.
At any rate, at least we'll be getting a Renarin perspective in this next part.

Posted : January 18, 2021 7:46 pm
SnowAngel liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

@valiantarcher, I got chapter 10 a couple days ago and of course the siblings all saw it. I still haven't gotten caught up on the four most recent chapters and the siblings are antsy. Edit: Ooops, I forgot to add...I hope it's around 20 chapters, I think that would be a nice length.

I finished Civil War Commando, it was a fascinating read. I was thrilled to get the end of the book and realize it will be a great read for teens especially boys. My teen brother is reading it now, I think he will really enjoy it.

I have started reading You're Not Enough (And That's Okay) by Allie Beth Stuckey. It's pretty good, I have to say I do want to like it because I like Allie Beth's podcast and the cover is such a pretty shade of pink....silly, I know. Giggle  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

Posted : January 22, 2021 12:32 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

All the best with catching up, SA! And I guess time will tell on the length. Giggle

So, I technically finished Rhythm of War before it had to go back (is it late if you return it between when the library closes for the day and when it opens the next day?). I'm not sure about everything, but a few more thoughts.

Spoiler
I wasn't sure how Adolin's trial would end, but I was pretty happy with how victory was snatched from the jaws of defeat. It was incredibly fitting that Maya found the words to vindicate the Radiants and Adolin, and of course Adolin was immediately protective when they brought her in. I had been kind of hoping that all the Deadeyes at the Honor fortress were there because Adolin was somehow awakening them - but the fact that he slowly had rebuilt Maya's trust and helped her heal was excellent. Grin I don't know that he should or could ever bond with her - on one hand, I love him not being a Radiant. On the other hand, helping a Deadeyes heal and become willing to bond again, and becoming an Edgedancer would be interesting (I don't know if that order would entirely fit but a) flexibility and grace and b) healing abilities  - he keeps trying to help the people he loves who are hurting, and mental ailments couldn't be healed by Edgedancers, but the heart is still the same).
I was a bit slow but I did figure out that Shallan had killed her first Cryptic before it was revealed; I wonder if Shallan can rebuild her trust? Can she be bonded to two spren? It was mentioned that she had two Shardblades, but I don't think the second one has ever come up, has it?
I am still a bit surprised that some of the most interesting parts to me involved characters I don't really care for that much. I thought Venli's parts would be boring - and I struggled a bit with the flashbacks - but her parts pretty quickly were entwined with the others, and it was good to see her growth. I'm not at all convinced Navani was the correct choice for the Sibling (I had been hoping for Rlain, but I'll be interested to see where he goes with being a Truthwatcher), but I did love that brief second of her starting to get distracted by the Tower's building systems (finally, someone understands! Wink Giggle ) and I appreciated how important engineering, science, and, yes, project management were to the resolution. I also really enjoyed the scene with Wit and Kaladin in the storm; Wit showed a kinder side than I remember seeing before.
Kaladin's parts were hard to read at times, but I was very happy to see him say the Fourth Ideal (and it was along the lines of what I thought it would be) and realise some of the ways he needed to heal still. And his Shardplate can protect others? Of course it can! XD It was great. Giggle
We never found out how Raboniel had spied on Navani and the Sibling, did we? I still have no idea what's going on with Mraize and his green chicken, nor have I figured out the importance of the red chicken. XD Did Lift's legs heal once her powers came back? The next book is gonna be crazy if it's really taking place over +/- 10 days - are Adolin and Shallan going to spend all that time trying to travel back through Shadesmar? XD I'm curious to know how the first half of the series will be complete enough to kind of stand alone, but still be connected to the second half of the series.

Now back to the Poe stories - I'm about a third of the way through the collection and am currently rereading Fall of the House of Usher, which I think was either the first or second short story I ever read by him.

Posted : January 23, 2021 4:34 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

So, I technically finished Rhythm of War before it had to go back

Hooray! I have been eagerly anticipating hearing what you thought of it. Giggle  

General spoilery Rhythm of War stuff

Spoiler
Yes! Maya standing up for herself and other Deadeyes made me so happy. It's probably one of my favorite parts of the book. I don't remember if Shallan's other sword has come up before, but I am already imagining her dual wielding and it will be awesome. I'm a bit conflicted about Navani and the Sibling as well. It kind of works, but I also liked how she was a significant character that wasn't bonded. As for Kaladin, apparently Shallan's storyline was initially a lot heavier as well, but the beta readers said it was too much so he lightened up the parts with Adolin and Shallan so Kaladin could have his depths of despair moments without overwhelming the reader. I definitely appreciated that. I love the journey he's been on, but it is hard to read sometimes. Hopefully once book 5 is over he can take a long nap on a beach somewhere.

Jane, Unlimited was a lot of fun. I'm not entirely certain the main character was actually aware that the significant choice she made would affect how the rest of the story would go, but it was fun to put together all the pieces of the different storylines. The house itself is almost the main character and the different genre stories are all taking place at the same time. Beware the Gothic Horror story in the middle though. It will be awhile before I can read Winnie-the-Pooh.

Up next: The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune for scifi book club. One friend reviewed it as Umbrella Academy meets Sound of Music and that sounds exactly like my cup of tea.

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : January 24, 2021 2:40 pm
Page 177 / 201
Share: