Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Susan and Narnia

Page 5 / 5
Valiant_Nymph
(@valiant_nymph)
NarniaWeb Junkie

The only thing I would have liked to see regarding Susan was an 'on stage' scene where she refuses to believe in Narnia. I felt the fact that she didn't believe in Narnia anymore was dropped too randomly at the end. I wonder if that is why so many people are off put by this fact.

Posted : May 4, 2018 1:32 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think Lewis intended something positive for Susan with her title "Susan the Gentle". She got caught up in trivial things, but her gentleness was an admirable quality. Would that make her more receptive to Aslan? I think it would have been something that the Lion could have used to bring her back. We aren't told about her future as it happened after The Last Battle, but she might have given up up her childish ways after that book. I think that Lewis referred to that being a possibilty in his letters. We don't know for sure, but that is Susan's own story (and Aslan's) not ours. I would rather have her gentleness continue if she ever arrived in Aslan's country. To have a gentle person (her female chivalry) lost would be seem to be something that Lewis wouldn' t want. :)

Posted : May 22, 2019 10:12 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Have you ever heard someone argue that Susan's gentleness was supposed to be a bad thing, Narnian78? I always it was agreed that Lewis meant that as one of Susan's good qualities. (I say "Lewis intended" because it sounds like you're talking about authorial intent, not because I myself think its a bad thing.) It sounds like you're rebutting the argument that gentleness was Susan's downfall. I've never heard anyone make that argument. Interesting.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Posted : May 23, 2019 6:03 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Col. Klink, I'm glad you thought that that her gentleness was one of her strengths. I have thought about this quality for years but never actually expressed that opinion on any forum. How could Susan the Gentle be lost? She could make some mistakes and be silly, but would that keep her permanently out of Aslan's country? I don't think it would. Once a gentle queen of Narnia, always a gentle queen. I'm changing Lewis' words a bit from what he actually said (of course it's my interpretation of his ideas and not an an exact quote from him). But I don't think he would have disagreed with the statement. :)

Posted : May 23, 2019 12:50 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: