Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

C.S.Lewis performed by actors

coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Many of us have seen the 1990s film Shadowlands, starring Anthony Hopkins as Lewis.  Many of us have also seen stage productions, and some of us have enjoyed the original BBC Television play of the same name, which began them all [my personal favourite].

A number of actors have portrayed C.S.Lewis in different parts of his life, giving his lectures, telling his own life in monologues [eg The Most Reluctant Convert] and so on.

I noticed this on our local TV channel's website, and I plan to watch it soon; the few minutes I have looked at seem to be documentary as much as performance.

https://www.shinetv.co.nz/just-landed/videos/the-shortest-way-homecs-lewis-mere-christianity

I don't know if people elsewhere can access New Zealand TV online, but you could search for it elsewhere. 

If you have seen this, or other performances as Jack Lewis, how well and accurately did you think the actor portrayed him? Did it make you want to read or re-read the books? Did the ideas challenge or help you?  And do you have a favourite portrayal, either on stage or on film?

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 26, 2021 1:05 am
coracle
(@coracle)

It's also available to stream on Redeem TV.

https://watch.redeemtv.com/videos/c-s-lewis-onstage-the-most-reluctant-convert

This is the solo performance.  The new film is not being shown here yet.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 6, 2021 3:30 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I haven’t seen The Most Reluctant Convert yet, but I will be watching it soon since I ordered the film on Blu-ray.  The movie looked so good I decided to own it, and now that may be the only way of seeing it.  Shadowlands with Anthony Hopkins is quite a good film, although it is not as accurate to C. S. Lewis’ life as the older television film Through the Shadowlands from the 1980’s with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom. Anthony Hopkins was quite good at playing Lewis but the Shadowlands movie is too much like a Hollywood production. These films are all well worth watching in spite of their imperfections.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2022 7:36 am
coracle liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Having watched The Most Reluctant Convert I really like the film.  Max McLean’s acting is really great. I was glad that they found an actor that looks a lot like Lewis (at least a lot like the photographs of him). It does show Lewis’ skepticism very well, and the conversion was accurately portrayed.  It was well worth buying the film on Blu-ray.  I think it is about as good as the BBC’s Shadowlands, another great biographical film about Lewis’s life.

Here is another interesting video about C. S. Lewis’ life which is on YouTube:

It is well worth watching, and it is quite accurate to Lewis’ real life. I kind of wish it were longer though.  An hour doesn’t seem like enough time to cover the life of a great man. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2022 9:14 am
Sir Cabbage
(@sir-cabbage)
NarniaWeb Regular

The only film I have seen about C.S. Lewis is the 1993 Shadowlands, and that was pretty recently. I didn't know quite what to expect, but imagined it might have a few nods to the Narnia books. What I hadn't expected was how sad it became! I think this film was pretty well done and very much of its time. Anthony Hopkins played him decently, though I haven't got a lot of reference to judge him with!

Would like to see The Reluctant Convert.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2023 10:21 am
coracle liked
coracle
(@coracle)

@sir-cabbage its also a stage-play. All very sad, but with love and happiness interwoven.

If you can access it, I recommend the original Shadowlands. It's a BBC TV movie, made in the 1980s. I consider it better in many ways. Redeem TV has it available. Jos Acland is a more convincing Lewis than Hopkins.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2023 2:04 pm
Sir Cabbage
(@sir-cabbage)
NarniaWeb Regular

Thanks, Coracle! Not sure if I can access Redeem TV, but I will certainly keep an eye out for it. (Although... do I really want to feel so sad all over again? 😛 )

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 3, 2023 3:02 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@sir-cabbage share it with a friend? Provide English tea and tissues?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2023 4:04 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

This afternoon I saw Max McLean perform as C.S. Lewis in the play Further Up & Further In.  He was performing his play in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which is near where I live.  I was amazed at how much he looks like Lewis.  It was such a wonderful performance. I would encourage anyone to see him in person and watch his movie, The Most Reluctant Convert. He is a wonderful actor.  I was so glad that I attended the performance. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 24, 2023 6:22 pm
coracle and johobbit liked
Share: