Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Words Modern Readers May Not Know (from the Narnia books)

Page 2 / 2
fireheart209
(@fireheart209)
NarniaWeb Regular

I assume from context that an order mark is a form of discipline. But I find it interesting that I could not find a definition for it. The only thing I got when googling the term was a facebook page for a private girls school in which there was a discussion topic entitled "funniest thing you ever got an order mark for" Obvioulsy the term is still in use. Now I'm really curious as to what type of punishment this was.

Posted : February 13, 2011 9:43 am
TheGeneral
(@thegeneral)
NarniaWeb Junkie

haha thanks for the lists, guys. I hope this thread is still here the next time I read through the chronicles, there's quite a few words that I didn't know and when I'm caught up in a story I'm too lazy to find a dictionary ;) . A lot of them seem like British words.

Posted : February 22, 2011 1:37 am
Graymouser
(@graymouser)
NarniaWeb Nut

My first post at Narniaweb :)

pleasantlie -just a variation on 'pleasantly'. Before spelling became standardised the "ly" ending on adverbs was often spelt this way e.g. 'trulie', or 'Verilie, verilie, I say unto you'.

gentleman-in-waiting - the male equivalent of a lady-in-waiting. A person of high birth, as opposed to a servant, who waits in attendance on a king or queen. Basically companions, though available for service as in this case. Usually the sons or daughters of noble families introduced into court to gain royal favour.

dappled Pomely- 'dappled' means spotted white, as in a fawn (with a"w'!) or a "sun-dappled glade"; pomely is an old word meaning the same thing. A 'dappled Pomely" means a gray horse with white spots.

order-mark- a mark against a student's name showing they have behaved badly, though good order-marks are also possible. If a person gets too many they are punished or, at the end of a week/month/term, they are added up, either individually or to a house, just like the marks handed out at Hogwarts.

The difference is that people wanted to hear the stories, whereas I never met anyone who wanted to read the essays

Posted : February 23, 2011 10:55 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: