Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Old Professors House

Page 1 / 3
LadyOfAutumn
(@ladyofautumn)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Okay so this is something that’s bothered me for a while. In the books they only call the professors home in LWW The Old Professors House, which really bothers me because the way it’s described really sounds like an Estate. Estates in England, especially ones as old and well known as the Professors usually have names right? In LWW it’s mentioned several times that the place is mentioned in guidebooks of the area and is very well known, so well known in fact that people come to the area just to tour the place. It’s practically a historical landmark. I know naming places like that often applied to the homes and lands of nobility and landed gentry but the way the mansion and the estate it was on was described sounds like something a noble would have lived on. And it’s stated at the end of MN that Digorys paternal uncle had died and left his fortune, land, home, and everything in it to his nephew, ie. Digorys dad, who then left it Digory when he died. 
So to me that implies one of two things:

1) The Kirke family either is or was at some point a part of the Nobility or the Landed Gentry, in which case the estate would definitely have a name. 

Or

2) The Kirkes were simply very wealthy but did not have an official rank or title and then bought the house from someone who did. It wasn’t uncommon for Nobility to sell of their estates when the coffers dried up. But even if that is what happened it would still have a name. 

So what’s it called? Why do we never hear a name mentioned? Or even a title? Unless I’m missing something and it was mentioned? If anyone knows what the professors home was called I would love to know. 

I know the home where Digory and his mother stay in London with Uncle Andrew is referenced to as the Ketterley house, but that’s not an official name it’s just what the characters call it.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 27, 2024 6:56 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@ladyofautumn Thank you for bringing up an interesting topic!

Larger English houses are not always called mansions; the usual term is 'stately home'. Whether they are always named is beyond my knowledge, but I'm sure a named property (like Pemberley in Jane Austen) could have its name changed by a later owner. 
I think the simple answer is that C.S.Lewis didn't give the Professor's house a name!  It is just referred to as 'the Professor's house'. The houses where Polly and Digory lived in London were just nice terraced houses of probably three storeys plus a basement, and referred to by the owners or occupants.  (terraced houses are joined in a row, as you have read in The Magician's Nephew).

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 2:46 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

At the end of The Last Battle the Pevensies actually see the Professor’s house from the new Narnia.  Apparently it still existed since nothing good there is ever lost or destroyed.  It was considered a unique home and people came from miles away to tour it.  It makes you wonder if as an historic home it would always have been preserved. At least that is way that places like that are regarded here in America, and I think it would be the same in England. Often historic homes are restored to look like they did decades or hundreds of years ago. Why wouldn’t it be the same with the Professor’s house? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 4:50 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I think the logical answer is that, as @coracle says, Lewis simply didn't give the house a name. In real life — if it existed in real life — it would certainly have had one. Stately homes in Britain always do, as far as I've ever seen, regardless of who built or owned them in the first place. (I've lived in the UK for 12 years now and have a National Trust membership, so I've visited a lot of historic houses!)

But as the name of the Professor's house isn't important to the story at any point, it simply isn't referred to. Giving it a name might then raise questions of where abouts it is in England and who built it and what its history is, none of which is important to the story either. I get the impression Lewis didn't want to distract his young readers with invented details like that, but just to keep the focus on the plot — on what happens there once the four children are staying there. Everything else about the house is entirely up to our imagination!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 9:17 am
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

Lewis himself owned an estate named The Kilns. He was doing well, but I don't think he was what we would call wealthy. In England, it seems, even modest country houses can get names. It doesn't matter if they were built by nobility or not.

In Dawn Treader, wasn't it mentioned that the Professor had to sell the house? That wasn't explained.

As for the house later being destroyed, that wasn't explained either, but since it was old, fire was the most likely culprit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 11:06 am
coracle
(@coracle)

@cobalt-jade The Kilns wasn't a Stately Home, but a small-medium sized house with some land. His friend's mother and sister lived there, as well as the two Lewis brothers. They added an extension to make enough space.

Lewis gave a lot to charity, but he only had a university lecturer salary. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 12:14 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I never got the impression that the professor's house was a Stately Home. Most stately homes (the likes of Chatsworth House etc) are absolutely massive, like the size of palaces, and as you say, would probably be on a named estate, with hundreds of staff, and be owned by a member of the nobility.

However large mansion houses of the size described in LWW are much much more common. My village is a pretty average and anonymous village of zero noteworthiness in England, ... And yet it still has 4 big manor houses. Not just big houses, but houses with big estates too. They aren't named, were never owned by Lords or Dukes, but they are still sizeable things (just not on the scale of a Stately Home).

It's also worth noting that in the early to mid 20th century (around about the time that Lewis was writing LWW) many of these large country houses were falling into disrepair, and for various social and economic reasons were even burned down by their owners who could no longer afford them... Wikipedia says around 1200 houses in England were destroyed during this period, and one documentary I watched on it said it was hundreds a year being destroyed at one point.

Many house owners at this time did turn towards house tours as a means to help pay for the upkeep, and for a while, particularly in post-war Britain where people were keen to experience a slice of luxury,  it was quite popular for even in the smaller country houses to run tours... However once the big estates got in on the action, and the post-war middle class started to become more affluent, the smaller country houses couldn't compete... And burning them down for the insurance money was often the inevitable last resort.

I guess which is all a way of saying, that in 1950 when Lewis was writing, a large country house would not entirely have been seen as an extravagant luxury, but would perhaps even be considered as an inherited financial burden 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 4:03 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I think giving the professor's house a name might have actually made it less mysterious somehow. Maybe C. S. Lewis wanted it to be so that whenever kids were taken on a tour of an old house out in the country, they could imagine that it might be the house. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 28, 2024 8:39 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @col-klink

I think giving the professor's house a name might have actually made it less mysterious somehow. Maybe C. S. Lewis wanted it to be so that whenever kids were taken on a tour of an old house out in the country, they could imagine that it might be the house. 

Good thought — I reckon that's quite likely, and there's certainly evidence that that's how Lewis's own imagination worked and how he liked to encourage children to think. I can't remember exactly which book I read it in, but Douglas Gresham recalled that when he first met the man who was later to become his stepfather (and was disappointed to discover that the author of Narnia didn't wear a suit of armour and carry a sword), they were being shown into The Kilns when young Douglas noticed a big wardrobe and asked Lewis, "Is that the wardrobe?"

And Lewis simply smiled and responded: "It might be..." Wink  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 29, 2024 12:27 am
Narnian78 liked
coracle
(@coracle)

@cobalt-jade VDT says that somehow the Professor had become poor, and had moved into a cottage with only one spare bedroom. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 29, 2024 12:29 pm
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator
Posted by: @coracle

@cobalt-jade The Kilns wasn't a Stately Home, but a small-medium sized house with some land. His friend's mother and sister lived there, as well as the two Lewis brothers. 

And as far as I remember, his friend's mother was the owner of the Kilns, and the Lewis brothers only had a legal agreement that they had the right to live in the house for all of their lives.

I guess that Lewis wanted the place to be a bit anonymous and not a place anyone would try to locate, and therefore never mentioned a name for it.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2024 6:43 pm
Col Klink liked
coracle
(@coracle)

@varna Lewis paid quite a bit too, but it was put in Mrs Moore's name, and yes, with lifetime residence for both brothers.

(After Warnie died, Jack's friend's sister sold it. In the late 1990s, an American trust bought and restored it. Postgraduate students can rent a room there, and they act as tour guides for groups of visitors. I went in 2019)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 1, 2024 9:24 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Is there any reference to the age of the Professor’s house?   I am assuming that it was built in the Victorian era, which is the approximate time setting of part of The Magician’s Nephew.  This would be about the time of Charles Dickens’ novels, although the house may have been even older than that.  At the time of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe the house was probably at least a hundred years old (or older), although I am not sure of the exact age. Was there any hint of when it was built in any of the books?  

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2024 4:23 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie
Posted by: @narnian78

Is there any reference to the age of the Professor’s house?   I am assuming that it was built in the Victorian era, which is the approximate time setting of part of The Magician’s Nephew.

I assumed from the way C. S. Lewis described it that it was way older than that. (Of course, Queen Victoria's reign did last a very long time.) I got the impression that the house was old when Digory first moved in as a boy.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2024 8:02 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@col-klink 

There are houses in England that date back to the time of Shakespeare. But I am not sure if the Professor’s house is from that period.  I thought there were some references to things like suits of armor and other items of the Middle Ages in the house, but they may have just been eccentric things that the professor owned. There were many books, although books that people owned were less common in Shakespeare’s time since fewer of them were printed. It is possible that the house was built in the 1600’s or 1700’s, but the 1800’s does seem like a time old fashioned enough for the way it was described. The Professor who lived there in the 1940’s certainly had his own library. More people owned books in the nineteenth century, and it is very likely that the Professor kept all of them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2024 8:31 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: