Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Eastern Ocean

WishingThereWasMore
(@wishingtherewasmore)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I'm trying to find out more about the edge of the Eastern Ocean. One description I found was on the Wikipedia page, which in my humble opinion could really use some love from the people of this forum (the page needs it, not the quote to be clear).. which said,

"The sea becomes progressively more shallow the further East one travels, eventually terminating in a gigantic standing wave. Beyond the wave can be seen as the "impossibly tall" mountains of Aslan's Country."

So to be clear.. there is a perpetual and stagnant tidal wave blocking anyone from getting through?

Also, if there is a perpetual tidal wave, how can people see past it to the "'impossibly tall' mountains of Aslan's Country?"

I guess I do have another interest here: the giant lily pads. What's the situation with those? Any information on why they're there, or their meaning?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 27, 2021 8:39 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

So in answer to these questions about the Eastern ocean they are probably a bit easier to answer since it doesn't require any extrapolation of the text:

• Yes, there is a perpetual wave that arcs upwards from the edge of the world blocking further passage.
  • Whilst the mountains are described as "impossibility tall" the wave is not, so you can see over the top to some extent.

I don't believe the Lillys have (or need to have) any deeper symbolic meaning, however I believe their inclusion in the description is intended to achieve a few things:

• They indicate that we have moved away from the rough waves, and the harsh unforgiving sea, to a place where the waters are calm enough for Lilly's to grow.
  • They also indicate that the water is freshwater, not salt water.
  • The above two points contribute towards a sense of "other worldliness" as these are not things one would normally except in the ocean.
  • Lillys are evocative of peace and tranquility, which again helps with the juxtaposition against the previous scenes of danger and risk on the high seas, and also sets the tone for the reveal of Aslan's County.

In terms of a few minor points regarding your question:

• "Stagnant" is probably not the right word, as that usually indicates a pool of water which is not flowing, and has subsequently gone bad - in this case, whilst the wave itself is not moving, I believe the water within it is still flowing.
  • "Tidal Wave" is probably not the right word either, since a flat world would not have a tide. Potentially you are thinking of a Tsunami, though that's not technically correct either since the wave was not caused by tectonic activity. I think it would just be enough here to describe it as a regular wave.
ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2021 1:11 pm
Courtenay and coracle liked
Share: