Notifications
Clear all

Telmarines using Old Narnian currency?

Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

Hello Narnian friends, 

My Narnia-crazed  brain randomly thought of something the other day:

Why is it that when the Pevensies and Caspian find Lord Restimar on Deathwater Island, he is found to have been carrying coins that are recognizable as "Narnian lions and trees?" 

It seems unlikely that the Telmarines would have willingly used coins named after trees (which they probably feared) and lions ( one of whom they DEFINITELY feared LOL ) after conquering Narnia. If Restimar was a Telmarine subject, what was he doing with these questionable coins?

My only guess is maybe Lord Restimar held to the old ways (perhaps a contributing factor to his banishment) and secretly held on to some ancient Narnian coins he'd got hold of. Maybe he was hoping to use them in the Lone Island markets, assuming they still used Narnian currency either....

What do you think best explains this?

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 14, 2020 9:33 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Hmmm, that's a good point — I'd never thought of that issue. I suspect it's another of the little inconsistencies Lewis himself never picked up on as he was writing — just like Reepicheep having a Dryad singing that song over his cradle when, at the time he was born (obviously before the action of Prince Caspian starts), all the tree-people were asleep and no-one was ever able to wake them before Aslan returned... Tongue Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 15, 2020 6:06 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

Good point! I wonder if maybe the dryads were just slowly falling asleep and Reep's nurse was the only one of the only ones left... still, it's more likely an accidental inconsistency! 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 15, 2020 9:29 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @cleander

Hello Narnian friends, 

My Narnia-crazed  brain randomly thought of something the other day:

Why is it that when the Pevensies and Caspian find Lord Restimar on Deathwater Island, he is found to have been carrying coins that are recognizable as "Narnian lions and trees?" 

Is that basically the Narnian equivalent of 'heads' and 'tails'??  LOL I keep coming back to this, but I have a feeling that the 're-working' of the Chronicles that Lewis wanted to do but never could before his death would have probably addressed some of these continuity hiccups. 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 11:25 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

My only guess is maybe Lord Restimar held to the old ways (perhaps a contributing factor to his banishment) and secretly held on to some ancient Narnian coins he'd got hold of.

Not exactly where you were going with that, but I kind of love the idea of him being a coin collector. Giggle I imagine one could find some very interesting stuff in Narnia if you had a metal detector with you instead of a torch. Tongue

In seriousness... it's not inconceivable to me that they might have some old Narnian coins somewhere in the treasury at Miraz's castle, given that Telmarines surely plundered the Narnians during the takeover. The Telmarines are practical and it wouldn't be very practical to destroy currency that might be the only legal tender in certain lands. Maybe the Seven Lords were given a portion of them for their voyage in case they encountered islands where Trees and Lions were the dominant currency?

Good point! I wonder if maybe the dryads were just slowly falling asleep and Reep's nurse was the only one of the only ones left... still, it's more likely an accidental inconsistency! 

Out of all the dryads in Narnia, surely one of them suffers from insomnia. Tongue

Perhaps it was more of a dream than something that occurred in waking hours... I can imagine him cradled in the boughs of a tree, and hearing snatches of a lullaby as he falls asleep and having the sense that it is a dryad singing to him, but he never hears it when he is fully awake.

(For the record, I do agree that these are probably inconsistencies that slipped past Lewis's notice when he was writing the books, but that doesn't mean we can't come up with clever ways to make sense of them. Wink )

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 17, 2020 11:52 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I've heard that Lewis had some intentions of making The Voyage of the Dawn Treader the last Narnia book. If so, it's possible that he really wanted to establish what images Narnians use on their coins and believed this was his last chance to do so, even if it didn't make much sense on reflection.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 18, 2020 8:08 am
Share: