Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Favorite and least favorite chapter titles (for each book)

NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

I don’t know if there’s ever been a topic for favorite and least favorite chapter titles in the books, so I thought I’d make one listing mine. So, in publication order, here goes.

LWW

Favorite: Probably “Lucy Looks Into a Wardrobe”. It has that sort of “Through The Looking Glass” feel to it that instantly  makes you curious to know what happens (after all, the Alice and Wonderland stuff is definitely curiouser and curiouser). I guess my second favorite would be “Back On This Side Of The Door”, it’s one that definitely gets your attention.

Least Favorite: “What Happened About The Statues”. Part of it is the (I assume) British prose of “what happened about” instead of “what happened to”, which doesn’t quite work in American editions; and partly because with the return of Aslan in the previous chapter, it’s not hard to guess what does happen to (about) the statues in question. 

PC

Favorite: Probably “How All Were Very Busy”. Really, that could literally be the title of the climatic chapter of just about any book, but it works perfectly here. However, “Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance” has to be a close runner-up, since it’s a catchy and intriguing title, and when looking back through the titles even after not having read the book for a while, you’ll likely be able to go, “Oh yeah, that’s the one where the hag and the werewolf show up.” 

Least favorite: “The Dwarf Tells of Prince Caspian”. Mainly because it’s not even correct. While Caspian’s story is told as a flashback, we’re not actually experiencing the Pevensies hearing Trumpkin tell it—I mean, Lewis outright TELLS US he’s not going to do that at the end of the previous chapter! And of course the fact that the flashback portion of the book continues on for three entire chapters afterwards. Yeah, it just doesn’t work. 

VDT

Favorite: I’d have to go with “The Picture in the Bedroom”. Like LWW, it’s an opening title that just makes you curious to know more, and definitely doesn’t disappoint.

Least favorite: I guess “The Dufflepuds Made Happy”, it just doesn’t have the right ring to it.

TSC

Favorite: “How They Discovered Something Worth Knowing”. Definitely the sort of title to help get the reader wanting to know what happens.

Least favorite: “The House of Harfang”. This just doesn’t sound interesting enough, even “The Giants of Harfang” would be a more interesting title.

HHB

Favorite: Probably “The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler”. It’s another title that definitely makes you want to know more.

Least favorite: Um, I guess “The Fight at Anvard”. It’s one that you know before you read it is going to cover a battle, and isn’t very creative.

TMN

Favorite: “The End of This Story and the Beginning of All the Others”. An overly-long and very clever title to give the first chronological book of the series. (Fun fact: when I first saw the title, I thought it would literally feature “previews” of all the  beginnings of all the other books, I guess cause some kids chapter books would occasionally tease future books with an opening chapter at the end.)

Least favorite: While this book’s chapters were all fairly well titled, I thought “The First Joke and Other Matters” was a bit weak (the first joke in question, although amusing, being a bit of a throwaway moment overall and not really something that you’d think would be mentioned in a chapter title).

TLB

Favorite: “Farewell to Shadowlands”, a great way to sun up the book’s overall happy ending while also acknowledging how depressing it really got.

Least favorite: “Mainly About Dwarves”. Just describing what the chapter is about, well  I guess it could be seen as amusing, but to me it just feels kind of lazy.

Well that certainly took a while to go over, but I still enjoyed doing it. I hope you enjoyed hearing my thoughts on the titles, and will be interested to see what other fans favor and dislike.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 12, 2023 12:41 am
Courtenay and icarus liked
Share: