Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Narnia on Netflix?

Page 2 / 2
AJAiken
(@ajaiken)
Member Moderator Emeritus

I don't think I can say whether I'm positive or negative about this until I know who's actually making it (if it happens). From what I've heard Netflix is fairly hands-off with regards to their original content, so though I trust that whatever they produce will be high quality it's likely down to the writer, director and producer what the series will be. I think Netflix does a good job at letting people who have a passion for something go for it - like the Duffer brothers with Stranger Things - so I want to know, if this is true, who the ideas-person is.

I would like to see the later books adapted - particularly The Horse and His Boy - but I think that anyone making a TV series would want to start at the beginning. In a sense I feel that a standalone film for HHB would work much better than starting a new TV series with a story that isn't LWW.

In terms of style ... I would love to see it animated. As long as it's animated well! I think there's so much great new animation out there, and it could make it stand out from the other adaptations - even the earlier animated LWW. However, there is the danger that people read animation as childish and kid-only. I think that attitude is shifting but there's still a weird thing where it's either for children or decidedly adult. It would be amazing to see an animated series that's family/adventure.

Posted : September 19, 2018 11:22 pm
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

This is looking very likely considering Richard Rushfield's connections and reputation. I tweeted him asking what this means for The Silver Chair film adaptation which he quickly responded saying he wasn't sure and that he'd inquire.

I'm now just wondering when we'll get an official announcement...

I don't think I can say whether I'm positive or negative about this until I know who's actually making it (if it happens). From what I've heard Netflix is fairly hands-off with regards to their original content, so though I trust that whatever they produce will be high quality it's likely down to the writer, director, and producer what the series will be. I think Netflix does a good job at letting people who have a passion for something go for it

It's an eOne/Netflix production, so I'd assume Mark Gordon (he's President and Cheif Content Officer at eOne) would remain a producer on this project. I could see Vincent Seiber and Douglas Gresham on board as well considering their positions at the Lewis Estate.

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

Posted : September 20, 2018 8:39 am
Glumpuddle
(@gp)
News Poster, Podcast Producer

For what it's worth, here's a production timeline of Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events...

Nov 2014: Netflix and Paramount announce plans to develop series
Sept 2015: Showrunner and director announced
Jan 2016: First casting announcements
May 2016: Production begins
Jan 2017: Season 1 premiere

Season 2 premiered in March 2018. The final season is in the works.

YouTube.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle

Posted : September 24, 2018 6:42 am
SSBN_Dawn_Treader
(@ssbn_dawn_treader)
NarniaWeb Regular

Yeah, doing such kind of series does take time! But anyways, I'm quite eager to see what Netflix can do with Narnia. In the best case, we get something great, in the worst case, they butcher it and it will be bad, but you know what is bad, too? Not having more Narnia movies/series! So, if it fails, our situation will remain bad, but if it's good, it will benefit the community.

In other words, we won't lose anything if it's terrible, but we'll win if it is good, so let them do a Narnia series!

Posted : September 28, 2018 3:57 am
narnia fan 7
(@narnia-fan-7)
NarniaWeb Guru

Looks like it's official. eOne just posted a press release on their website.

Posted : October 3, 2018 5:29 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

The press release makes it sound like they're going to do a series of movies and not a series of episodes. ("feature length and episodic programming") I guess that's good for the people who disliked the idea of a TV series and bad for the people who were excited about it.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

Posted : October 3, 2018 5:40 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Going to go ahead and lock this thread as this news has been confirmed (wow! :D ), so please carry on your discussions in the GMD forum. :)

Topic starter Posted : October 3, 2018 7:21 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: