Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

BBC Narnia Board Game

Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

Came across this interesting find on eBay that I've never seen before. A beautiful board game based on BBC's adaptations! Correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't much in terms of merchandise related to these productions. I've never been a huge fan, but it's nice to see some fanfare for BBC.

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 22, 2022 5:33 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@impending-doom I've never seen this before, and in fact I'm not aware of BBC issuing merchandise for their children's classics at all. 

I'd like to play it...

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2022 2:37 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I actually had that game at one stage — bought it on eBay — but it ended up getting jettisoned in one of my moves or clean-outs, partly because a) it wasn't that exciting as board games go, and b) I didn't have anyone else to play it with!! Grin It's cute, but as the blurb says, "extremely light". I'd have preferred a Narnia-based game that has a bit more depth and excitement to it, but then, of course, this one was aimed at young children.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2022 7:50 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

@courtenay 

Do you remember off hand how the game works? Roll dice, move your token so many spaces, draw a card, do what it says?

That kind of thing? 

It might make a great gift, but I've already finished my Christmas shopping Giggle  

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2022 9:55 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@glenwit No, not really, unfortunately! I do remember there were cards for certain things, including an Aslan card that gave you a bonus somehow and a White Witch card that gave you a penalty. (With Barbara Kellerman's face on it, naturally. Grin ) And you did move tokens around the board somehow, I'm pretty sure. But I don't recall any more details than that, sorry. I'd really only recommend it for die-hard addicts of the BBC series (of which even I'm not one, despite having grown up watching them when they were new and I was in the age group they were aimed at!) or else for absolute Narnia fanatics who are happy to have any piece of Narnia-related merchandise from any version.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 23, 2022 10:22 am
Glenwit liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Like the BBC Narnia series the board game was made without modern technology. It looks very old fashioned and I would like it that way. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 25, 2022 11:43 am
Impending Doom
(@impending-doom)
Adventurous Stranger Knight of NarniaWeb

Here's a video on Youtube explaining gameplay if anyone's interesting in checking it out further 😊 

"Tollers, there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves." - C.S. Lewis

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 26, 2022 6:00 pm
Share: