Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Emeth's Encounter With Aslan

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here's an art of Emeth's encounter with Aslan that has been circling around the web for a quite a while. (Not sure who the artist is, but here it is).  

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 6, 2021 1:19 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

I recognize this artwork — it's by Dawn Doughty Davidson, also known as Saeriellyn on DeviantArt. You can view a slideshow of her Narnia pieces over on The Lion's Call website.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 7, 2021 4:24 pm
Jasmine liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@rose I have seen her other artwork. I think that one with Emeth and Aslan stood out to me.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 12, 2021 2:10 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here's another that I've came across.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/dc/a2/61/dca261e256073101f11796d31946c3f0.jpg

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 2, 2022 1:03 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena that one is lovely!

Aslan standing close up, and Emeth with a thin earnest young face. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 2, 2022 5:24 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Aslan and Emeth by AvisTovi on DeviantArt

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 1, 2022 2:16 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here's a sketch of Emeth with Aslan. I'm not sure if it looked like he's praying or something. Could it be that Emeth is in the presence of Aslan?

Aslan & Emeth » Jef Murray Studios

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 1, 2023 3:15 pm
Courtenay liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

^ That has to be one of Jef Murray's sketches. Definitely his Aslan and Emeth piece. Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 1, 2023 5:16 pm
Jasmine liked
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I just remembered I actually did a tiny little take on this too, back in 2012...

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 10, 2023 10:28 pm
Courtenay liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Emeth may have been the best Calormene.  I used to think of him as a virtuous pagan when I first the read the Narnia books, but now I think he was much better than that.  It would have been interesting if the Narnia books had told more about life and background, but I guess that was his own story. We just know that he thought he serving Tash when he was actually serving Aslan.  I often wondered why he didn’t know what Tash was really like.  Perhaps it was because he grew up in the culture of Calormen, which only taught him about Tash instead of Aslan.

The artwork shown here is wonderful!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2023 5:43 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @narnian78

Emeth may have been the best Calormene.  I used to think of him as a virtuous pagan when I first the read the Narnia books, but now I think he was much better than that.  It would have been interesting if the Narnia books had told more about life and background, but I guess that was his own story.

I actually haven't thought of that. Emeth is my favorite character in the series. I used to think that he was this really nice guy (at least nicer than Rishda). I wonder if a movie could expand his role a bit, perhaps make him feel conflicted and sympathetic when he discovers Rishda's treachery.

We just know that he thought he serving Tash when he was actually serving Aslan.  I often wondered why he didn’t know what Tash was really like.  Perhaps it was because he grew up in the culture of Calormen, which only taught him about Tash instead of Aslan.

That's an interesting thought. He may have grown up going to the temples of Tash and do worship service.

The artwork shown here is wonderful!

I actually agree! The artwork is nice!

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 11, 2023 9:54 am
Narnian78 liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

We just know that he thought he serving Tash when he was actually serving Aslan.  I often wondered why he didn’t know what Tash was really like.  Perhaps it was because he grew up in the culture of Calormen, which only taught him about Tash instead of Aslan.

Could be. We're not told anything about Emeth's background, which I agree would be very interesting to know more about. But if he lived all his life in Calormen, it's highly likely that he only ever heard very distorted tales of Aslan, if anything, and as for Tash, we don't know much at all about what the Calormene religion teaches about him or the other gods they worship. I can only think of what we're told about Shasta, who has been raised as a Calormene, and his own reaction on seeing the Lion face to face for the first time. His response is actually quite similar to Emeth's — somehow knowing at once that THIS is the One truly worthy of worship — but without the guilt of having been devoted to Tash (perhaps Shasta, growing up in a poor fisherman's cottage, was never taught much about Tash either!):

Luckily Shasta had lived all his life too far south in Calormen to have heard the tales that were whispered in Tashbaan about a dreadful Narnian demon that appeared in the form of a lion. And of course he knew none of the true stories about Aslan, the great Lion, the son of the Emperor-over-sea, the King above all High Kings in Narnia. But after one glance at the Lion's face he slipped out of the saddle and fell at its feet. He couldn't say anything but then he didn't want to say anything, and he knew he needn't say anything. (The Horse and His Boy, chapter 11, "The Unwelcome Fellow Traveller")

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2023 10:22 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

I think a movie could broaden Emeth's character out a bit. Perhaps make him feel conflicted about "working by lies and trickery" in Narnia, disguised as merchants and feel the anger when he learns that Rishda doesn't believe in Tash. Hey, even make him sympathetic when he sees how the Narnians are being mistreated.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 14, 2023 10:25 am
Courtenay liked
littlgriz
(@tina-cat-moma)
NarniaWeb Regular

@jasmine_tarkheena wow good job 

in aslans paws have a good day

ReplyQuote