Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Those trailer scenes we’ve never seen…

NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

I was looking at a thread on the archives and decided to make a new one on it.

In all three of the Walden films, there were scenes in the trailer that were conspicuously missing from the final film…and which to date have never been released.

LWW had that dancing scene at the end, which wasn’t included in the extended cut because the effects weren’t finished. It’s the least interesting of the three imo but it would be nice to see it released.

PC had the infamous “Who are you?” “I yam Prince Caspian” exchange. I remember shortly after the film was released that someone claimed that it was explained in some Q&A that they used audio from a different scene for the latter line. Not sure I buy this as I’ve never been able to find that source, and while the line IS spoken in a different scene, it doesn’t sound like in the trailer, and the first line was never in the film to my knowledge. This is a mystery that I’ve gone more than half my life without seeing the case fully be closed on, so I’d be interested to see if anyone has any more info on it.

Finally, the big one is with VDT. As we all probably remember, the trailer had some scene featuring all 4 kids, including Peter and Susan, in some sort of courtyard in Narnian garb. I was very curious about what this would mean and it definitely made me kind of excited for the film. Was there going to be some special ending that brought back Peter and Susan, since it was Lucy and Edmund’s last adventure, and therefore the last Pevensie adventure (before LB)? And then…nothing. The scene just wasn’t included at all, and the ending played out basically like I would have expected (I found out about this through an online spoiler and just lost interest in seeing the film at all afterwards). Almost 13 years later, this is still a mystery. I assume it must have been filmed for the trailer, but getting some actual confirmation would be really nice.

Anyways, just thought this was worth bringing up again. Thanks for reading! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 9, 2023 3:55 am
Reepicheep775
(@reepicheep775)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I believe those scenes were filmed for marketing purposes and were always meant to only appear in the trailer (it was kind of sneaky for Fox/Walden to include Peter and Susan in the trailers like that, seeing what minor role they played in VDT, but I digress Giggle ).

I can't remember if there was a source confirming that or if it's just the assumption most people made. Hmmm  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 9, 2023 4:08 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I've heard some people say they'd like to see the deleted dancing scene from LWW, but I think it was cut for a good reason besides the expense of special effects. From what I remember hearing, Susan was going to be dancing with the fox which would have been really awkward with their heigh difference. I can't imagine it looking good. Giggle  

I know some Narnia fans also wish that the movies had focused less on the military aspects of the stories and captured more of the books' joyful spirit, so they'd like the scene to have been included. Since I'm not actually attracted to stories about wars and battles, I theoretically sympathize with this...but I honestly feel the coronation scene by itself is an uplifting enough moment. A scene following that was just of the characters dancing would have been superfluous IMO, especially since, like I said, it wouldn't actually have looked good. Giggle  

I imagine filming the whole "I am Prince Caspian" exchange for the trailers wouldn't have been too much of an expense. But the whole Armageddon bit with the four Pevensies for the VDT trailer was pretty ridiculous and desperate if you ask me. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 11, 2023 7:42 am
Share: