Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Scripts for the PC and VDT Walden films

NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

A lot of people here probably know that the original script for the Walden version of LWW is available online. But does anyone know if the scripts for the Walden versions of PC and VDT are out there anywhere?

I remember parts of the VDT script were leaked online back in late 2008, but they disappeared before I could ever read them. Thankfully, a synopsis of what they contained was posted, and there was even a thread comparing it and the final film when it eventually came out. Still, it would be nice to actually have it in it’s entirety.

Then there’s the PC script, which I’ve been curious about for years. As far as I know, it’s NEVER been released online in any form. But surely there are copies of it floating around out there somewhere, perhaps that you can buy on eBay? I’m really curious to see how it compares to the movie itself.

Anyways, just something I thought I’d bring up.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 24, 2023 12:41 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have looked long and hard for both those scripts, but never found anything at all.

The draft of the LWW script that is online is really interesting, because whilst its 99% the same as what was shot, there are a few little extra scenes here and there which I think would have been great.

I would therefore love to know what unfilmed treasures (or abominations!) are hidden in the PC and VDT scripts. Would also love to see David Magee's unfiilmed Silver Chair script too!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2023 2:26 am
NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @icarus

I have looked long and hard for both those scripts, but never found anything at all.

The draft of the LWW script that is online is really interesting, because whilst its 99% the same as what was shot, there are a few little extra scenes here and there which I think would have been great.

I would therefore love to know what unfilmed treasures (or abominations!) are hidden in the PC and VDT scripts. Would also love to see David Magee's unfiilmed Silver Chair script too!

They’ve got to be out there somewhere. I’m pretty sure all of the Harry Potter scripts were uncovered in some capacity, no reason to think the Narnia ones can’t be too. The SC one is probably the hardest to find since it was never filmed, but it should still be on the agenda of Narnia-related stuff that should be tracked down.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 24, 2023 2:35 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I would imagine that the scripts were confidential, that the cast and crew all signed confidentiality agreements as part of their main contracts, and that any part script floating about in the ether (or green mist) is either fake, stolen, or copied from the actual film. 

Sometimes a screenplay is published; I once borrowed a library book that was the screenplay for Dr Zhivago (famous early 70s film).  But I'm doubtful that distributer/producer Disney would allow it.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2023 5:47 am
Courtenay liked
NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @coracle

I would imagine that the scripts were confidential, that the cast and crew all signed confidentiality agreements as part of their main contracts, and that any part script floating about in the ether (or green mist) is either fake, stolen, or copied from the actual film. 

Sometimes a screenplay is published; I once borrowed a library book that was the screenplay for Dr Zhivago (famous early 70s film).  But I'm doubtful that distributer/producer Disney would allow it.

Good point. However, the LWW script was released. Plus, Disney didn’t distribute VDT.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 24, 2023 3:56 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@nicemice2023 True, but as Disney now owns Fox I lumped them together.  Also VDT was ironically the most Disneyfied of the three films! 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2023 4:40 pm
Cleander liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I love reading screenplays. It was disappointing to find that the scripts for Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader aren't available at Scriptfly.com. Sad  

FWIW, I believe Greta Gerwig's scripts are always put up for award consideration, so if she does make Narnia movies for Netflix, we should be able to read those. 

This post was modified 8 months ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2023 7:16 am
NiceMice2023
(@nicemice2023)
NarniaWeb Regular

I read that the guy who spares Caspian’s life in the battle in PC was originally supposed to die (I assume right afterwards when the tree root grabs him). I’m glad they changed that.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 25, 2023 2:04 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

Generally the only scripts I have seen for Narnia or LOTR/Hobbit were either fan scripts (bad) or transcripts from enthusiastic fans sitting in front of the movie stop-starting and typing. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 25, 2023 2:45 pm
Share: