Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Rating System for Narnia Movies

Page 3 / 3
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Talk about censorship in violence, language, sexuality, drinking, and drug use.

Posted by @courtenay:

I think it depends on how it's actually portrayed... we've already mentioned Gaston's treatment of Belle in Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and I'm sure there are other films aimed at young audiences as well, where the anti-hero is pursuing a young woman in a way that she clearly doesn't welcome and that even young children can understand as wrong and unfair, without needing to go into details. It can definitely be done in a way that's not too explicit but still gets that message across. I would think the screenwriters and producers would know what the "official" boundaries are in the industry for what can and can't be shown under a G (U in the UK) or PG rating. Lewis certainly managed, in the original books, to keep "adult themes" subtle enough to not cause problems with his publishers in the 1950s, a time when standards for what was appropriate in children's books were stricter than they are now.

That's true. There's a deleted scene from The Lion King where Scar attempts to make Nala his mate. It was cut from the movie, though it was put back in the Broadway musical.

Even Frollo's lust for Esmeralda in The Hunchback of Notre Dame was modified in the Disney version. It was toned down from the original Victor Hugo novel, but how his lust for her is presented is still kind of questionable, especially for a family movie.

So you don't have to go into details. It might be tempting for movie makers to go into detail about Rabadash wanting Susan in The Horse And His Boy, but there's a way to do it without being explicit.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 26, 2022 2:28 pm
coracle liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

For the tone of Narnia, movie or series adaptions should at least keep within the tones.

But The Last Battle would so toned down in order to get a PG-rating.

There's the Calormenes exterminating Cair Paravel. We learn about it from Farsight in the book. It's like we don't see it, but we know it happened. I don't know if they would actually show that in a movie. It would almost be like the Night Raid in Walden's Prince Caspian. It's a sad moment when some of the Narnians were trapped inside of Miraz's castle. Even it doesn't show them getting killed, you know they've died. So I can kind of see where the Calormenes are at Cair Paravel, killing many Narnians.

While the book describes Tirian hearing Griffle using dreadful language, it actually refrains from the actual words. Yes, of course it would because it is a children's book. For family entertainment, swearing is a big no-no.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 25, 2023 3:18 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: