Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] "Don't worry! Our changes aren't as bad as what Lewis did!"

Page 4 / 4
Cymru
(@cymru)
NarniaWeb Nut

C.S. Lewis was a BIG fan of both George MacDonald and Norse Mythology. The reference to "ice giants" and "Lilith" as the origins of the White Witch always struck me as a nod on Lewis' part to her literary parents - the Norse Frost-giants and his favorite book, George MacDonald's Lilith. The White Witch/Jadis are a perfect coupling of these two creatures. MacDonald's Lilith was a vampiress who was obsessed with her own beauty and youth - so much so that she hated children for the simple fact that they were younger than she was. The Frost-Giants covered the Norse world with Ice during their reign and had incomparable strength.

Personally, I think this makes the most sense based on Lewis' personality and his inclusion of MacDonald as a character in other works. The exactness of her origins isn't something I'm planning to worry about any time soon.

To use that as an excuse to be loosy goosy with an adaptation of C.S. Lewis story seems very flimsy to me, and sadly, just sort of highlights the fact that perhaps the filmmakers don't understand Lewis as much as I'd like. But that's Hollywood aye?

At LEAST we know that Mr. Gresham is still on board and I'm sure his presence has helped steer the writers to the closest version of VoDT we'll ever get.

I was looking forward to a film absent the White Witch - for the simple fact that it gives us a different taste of Narnia just as the book does - but, ah well, my daughter is pleased with the dufflepuds.

That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald

Posted : June 21, 2010 11:04 am
Atlantean
(@atlantean)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I must admit I cringed at the inclusion of Jadis in Prince Caspian. The other changes were not so bad as they tried to be consistent with the general story arch, but Jadis living on to tempt Edmond really changed the story. In the story, once redeemed, Edmond is forgiven and life goes on. The dark parts of the past are not continually torturing people in the present.

Of course Dawn Treader has always been my favorite and I even spent months constructing detailed Narnian maps as a youth. But the thought that Jadis might return in the VDT film was a concern. Seeing the trailer, my fears were concerned, and now rather than look forward to the film, I have come to dread it. It's not the same story, it's been hollywood-ized with a common villian in each movie.

Claiming Lewis was inconsistent does not give license to change the basic principles of these stories. However, the claim he was inconsistent in this specific case is not a well supported argument. Jadis as a descendent of Lillith, bride of Adam, presumably from Earth, is not a problem. There is backstory included in Magician's Nephew. Uncle Andrew got the box containing the dust from the Wood Between the Worlds from his fairy godmother who was in prison. She told him nothing of it except to get rid of it. He did not and translated the lettering as being from the lost civilization of Atlantis. What happened to the Atlanteans? Well, they seem to have gathered some dust that enables people to travel between all worlds, accounting for the human population of at least some of many of the other worlds, including Charn.

Posted : June 26, 2010 11:58 pm
king caspian
(@king-caspian)
NarniaWeb Nut

Either this guy is very much misunderstood or these people have not read the last books in Narnia for a while to see your point Atlantean.

All I do know is that Jadis's appearance in Voyage is only a nightmare sequence for Edmund and that she is not back. At least I hope that they don't go any further then the nightmare or Jadis trying to tempt Edmund to bring her back to life. I will cringe then.

Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena

Posted : June 27, 2010 3:22 am
Maenad
(@maenad)
NarniaWeb Regular

I must admit I cringed at the inclusion of Jadis in Prince Caspian. The other changes were not so bad as they tried to be consistent with the general story arch, but Jadis living on to tempt Edmond really changed the story. In the story, once redeemed, Edmond is forgiven and life goes on. The dark parts of the past are not continually torturing people in the present.

Have you ever spoken to a Vietnam veteran? A victim of sexual abuse? A survivor of a horrific accident? The dark parts of the past can and do continually torture people in the present. Jadis in PC was a metaphor for the desperation Peter and Caspian were feeling, and a symbol of what that desperation could have potentially caused them to do.

Jadis in VDT is Edmund's personal nightmare only. Considering his past, Edmund's greatest fear is that he would give in to the temptation of power again, and Jadis is the absolute best form that fear can take. The story isn't changed whatsoever.

Of course Dawn Treader has always been my favorite and I even spent months constructing detailed Narnian maps as a youth. But the thought that Jadis might return in the VDT film was a concern. Seeing the trailer, my fears were concerned, and now rather than look forward to the film, I have come to dread it. It's not the same story, it's been hollywood-ized with a common villian in each movie.

Did you read Tilda Swinton's comments? Her scene took less than a day to film. That does not make her a significant part of the movie, and therefore not a significant part of the plot. Also, she was not the villain in PC. That was indisputably Miraz. Jadis was nothing more than a phantom. She wielded no real influence.

Posted : June 27, 2010 6:33 am
Atlantean
(@atlantean)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I don't find that Ms Swinton's thoughts about her filming schedule are relevant. The simple fact is that not only is Jadis is not a character in Prince Caspian or in VDT, her presence is not consistent with the great themes of the story as established by Lewis.

Edmond sinned, repented and was forgiven. Aslan sacrificed to pay the price for his sin. Edmond then went on to become a great king, a monarch, ruling over lands for decades before returning to England, more than a thousand years before Caspian lived.

Lewis' theological framework is consistently presented in Narnia. Lewis even ridiculed the modern handwringing liberalism of schools like Experiment House. He wrote of becoming mature, of becoming a man and a woman, of putting childish things behind.

For someone to be continually revisiting and questioning their redemption of a thousand years past is not consistent with anything presented in the books.

Posted : June 27, 2010 8:09 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Maenad, I agree with you but unfortunately you're going to have trouble convincing people, no matter how logical your argument. Some people are stubborn like that. We all are to some extent. Just not with Narnia-related topics.

Atlantean, I love your explanation of the Atlantean culture and the possible origins of the parallel worlds. I feel LOST borrowed many aspects from Narnia, many of them not overt.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : June 27, 2010 6:39 pm
DamselJillPole
(@damseljillpole)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

I agree Warrior 4 Jesus, LOST definitely took some ideas from Narnia.

We all know these people in the movie will be put through some test of temptation, right?

This is possibly one of Edmund's tests. What if Aslan is actually making them have this dreams? WW would only be a figment created by Aslan and that lucy passes the test for asking for help. It's not that Edmund is going forth into temptation, it is something that he is very bothered about still, he brings it up with Eustace in the book how he was a huge traitor. That shows that he is still regreting what he did. This test is only to make him experience that moment again and to let go of it. He has been forgiven. ;)

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!

Posted : June 27, 2010 6:59 pm
Trufflehunter
(@trufflehunter)
NarniaWeb Nut

I honestly don't think Lewis messed up. There his novels, and it makes perfect sense. The Lilith/Ice Giant (I think he meant Jinn) and Charn storylines still make perfect sense to me. Why shouldn't they inter-connect?

"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter

Posted : August 25, 2010 6:30 am
Page 4 / 4
Share: