Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Aslan’s introduction: how should it be done

Page 1 / 2
AslanTheLion
(@aslanthelion)
NarniaWeb Regular

So the book and the Walden film both have very distinct ways in which Aslan is introduced. In the book, we first see him with his group gathered around him, whereas in the film, he makes a grand entrance emerging from one of the tents in the campsite.

Which do you think the new series will go for? Or do you think it will go for something different altogether? Perhaps Aslan will make a grand entrance by arriving at the camp itself right after the kids and the beavers get there? Or maybe he’ll initially be alone when they arrive and he speaks to them, and slowly the others following him will emerge? I’m really interested to see how he’ll be introduced here.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 24, 2023 5:38 am
Courtenay liked
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'd probably vote for something different from either. I want a new adaptation to feel like it's based on the book, not copying the Walden Media movie or any other adaptation. But, on reflection, I guess the scene in the book isn't staged very cinematically with the characters just walking up to him and him being there. 

Then again, something totally different from either equals a real shot in the dark, so maybe I should be against it.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2023 7:34 am
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I don't know, really. I agree with @Col-Klink that this scene in the book isn't staged very cinematically, but then, Lewis was writing a children's novel, not a movie screenplay... Giggle  

That said, I didn't much like the "grand entrance emerging from a tent" introduction in the Walden film — I've just rewatched that sequence, and while it's not done terribly, it just doesn't seem to have much excitement or gravitas. This is our first view (our first-of-all, if the next screen adaptation also starts with LWW) of the character who is, essentially, Narnia's version of "God with us", but the Walden envisioning of it just seems very run-of-the-mill, especially after those grand sweeping shots of all those tents and all those exotic creatures milling around. He actually comes across as less impressive than some of them (though more impressive than that strange airy floral Dryad whom Lucy sees and waves to). I'm pretty sure someone else here remarked a while ago — and I agree with this — that having him step out of a fancy tent makes him look like a circus lion. Eyebrow  

I don't mean he should be brought in with drum rolls and trumpets or thunder and lightning or anything overblown like that — that would be taking it too far the other way — but I'd love for the "Aslan reveal shot" (so to speak) to give us a bit more of a quiver of awe as we first see this King whom we've already heard a fair bit about. One way I can imagine that might work would be for the children to be looking at the Stone Table (which they see first) with a few comments on it, then they look further ahead and the camera pans over to the crowd of Aslan's supporters gathered together a little distance away. Then as those creatures see the Pevensies approaching, they draw back respectfully to either side, and the shot pans forwards and upwards between them until we see Aslan. I'm picturing him sitting facing forwards, perhaps on a small mound or rise, so that he's almost silhouetted at first against the afternoon sky, and then the sunlight falls on him (again, not over-dramatically, just in a way that looks natural!) so that we see him more clearly. After a few seconds of lingering on that image, we can cut to the Pevensies looking up towards him in awe and trepidation and nudging each other with the "you first" — "no, you first" kind of dialogue that they have in the book, until Peter realises it's up to him to take the lead.

That's the best I can think of, off the top of my head, for keeping it consistent with the book but (hopefully) making it look good enough and feel inspiring enough on the screen! But there could be many ways of handling this scene and it'll be very interesting to hear other ideas — and hopefully to see, eventually, what Greta Gerwig or whoever directs the next LWW adaptation will decide to do with it!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 24, 2023 10:23 am
Narnian78, Cleander, AslanTheLion and 1 people liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I was a little disappointed there wasn’t too much made in the Walden movie of the first mention of Aslan.  It seems like it should have been more like the book with first time the children hear of his name. They did have it in the BBC Narnia, although it was very brief. There should have been more of the Pevensies’ reaction in hearing the name of the Lion whom they hadn’t yet met in person. My feeling is that Aslan was placed too much in the background in the first Walden film, and I hope he will be given a more central role in the new Narnia films.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2023 1:10 pm
Courtenay liked
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @courtenay

I'm pretty sure someone else here remarked a while ago — and I agree with this — that having him step out of a fancy tent makes him look like a circus lion. Eyebrow  

That was me. hahaha. I've probably moaned about this one sequence more than enough on these forums, but to sum up, my main problem is not only that the tent make him look like a big pampered circus lion waking up from his nap and lumbering out of his big fancy tent, but that it also makes him look aloof and out-of-touch with his own people. I mean, what was he doing in there all by himself? Seems snooty and detached, rather than regal and majestic. 

The tent also doesn't really seem like its big enough for doing much inside, and Aslan would presumably take up most of that space. No-one else follows him out of the tent, and its not as if Aslan has the manual dexterity or the opposable thumbs necessary to be writing up any extensive battle plans in there. The only reasonable conclusion that one could make was that he is sleeping in there. Which makes all the build up about Aslan being this ferocious lion, and "not safe" all a bit of a let down. He's a Lion. What kind of Lion sleeps in a Tent? He should be outside, in the rugged wilds of nature, amongst his own people.

* obviously the "correct" answer as to what Aslan was doing in the tent was that he was keeping himself off camera for the first few minutes of the camp sequence in order to keep the CGI budget down.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 25, 2023 3:08 pm
AslanTheLion
(@aslanthelion)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @icarus

its not as if Aslan has the manual dexterity or the opposable thumbs necessary to be writing up any extensive battle plans in there. 

Well, to be fair, he isn’t just a regular lion. If he wants to give himself the manual dexterity or opposable thumbs necessary to write, he certainly can, haha.

I actually made a thread about whether he should be more anthropomorphized in the upcoming adaptation. It’s interesting, as someone pointed out in that thread, the LWW book actually mentions him clapping his paws together and rising from his throne, which could indicate that Lewis originally considered making him more anthropomorphic.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 28, 2023 8:30 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Walden made him real, but less lionish in behaviour, and less Christlike.

On the other hand, Jesus' first adult appearance in the Gospels has no big buildup. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2023 1:03 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
I think it will be interesting how a new adaptation of Narnia will be able to do Aslan's introduction. Then it's a challenge to get him right. And this is supposed to be a Christ-like figure, that's a really big one.
Posted by: @coracle

Walden made him real, but less lionish in behaviour, and less Christlike.

On the other hand, Jesus' first adult appearance in the Gospels has no big buildup. 

That's right, there isn't. The Gospel account has Jesus's birth and the only account about his childhood is when He was 12. But there's nothing between when He was 12 and when He was 30.

I think one of the main problems in the Walden was that He wasn't set up properly (as most fans would agree). It was like, "Oh, he hast to be there because he's in the books." He was more like a mentor, sort of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Gandalf.

So how will a new film or series will do the introduction of Aslan? That will be interesting. I'm willing to wait to see whatever they come up with turns out.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2023 5:38 pm
AslanTheLion
(@aslanthelion)
NarniaWeb Regular

It’s worth mentioning that in the LWW book, we know ahead of time that he’s a lion (or at least, that the form he takes is one). In the film, I don’t believe that’s stated beforehand.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 28, 2023 6:50 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena I did say 'adult'.  (Pointing this out, in case you want to add a reply )

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 28, 2023 10:35 pm
BismDweller
(@bismdweller)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I think that the setup during the conversation with Mr. Beaver is more important than Aslan's first actual appearance. That scene comes with its own difficulties though because most of the heavy lifting is done by the narrator. The MN introduction will probably be much easier if they can follow it up with a good take on Narnia's creation, I can't think of any obvious problems with more or less pulling it straight from the book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2023 5:34 am
Courtenay, coracle, Col Klink and 1 people liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

The Beavers show much respect for Aslan when they talk about him in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The Pevensies are somewhat afraid of him mainly because they never met a talking lion before. When they find out that he is good their attitude is reverence except for Edmund.  So there should be a similar feeling of respect for the Lion in any movie or series made about Narnia even before he arrives in person. The conversation about Aslan is the best possible introduction for the coming of the Lion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 1, 2023 11:18 am
AslanTheLion
(@aslanthelion)
NarniaWeb Regular

About his introduction in the Walden film, I do want to reiterate that we aren’t told beforehand that Aslan is a lion (something I’m surprised more people haven’t brought up, but perhaps I’m mistaken), so having him be introduced by walking out of a tent wasn’t quite as ridiculous as it could have been.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 14, 2023 10:45 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

They did get the voice right in the Walden films when Liam Neeson first appeared. And Ronald Pickup was quite pleasant to listen to in the old BBC series. I just wonder if they used someone’s voice like David Suchet in the Focus on the Family Narnia it would cause people would be turned off at the first appearance of Aslan. First impressions are very important. And no matter how good the animation is the voice has to be right. Hopefully in the new films the voice of the Lion will be peasant for listening. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 15, 2023 2:45 am
AslanTheLion
(@aslanthelion)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @narnian78

They did get the voice right in the Walden films when Liam Neeson first appeared. And Ronald Pickup was quite pleasant to listen to in the old BBC series. I just wonder if they used someone’s voice like David Suchet in the Focus on the Family Narnia it would cause people would be turned off at the first appearance of Aslan. First impressions are very important. And no matter how good the animation is the voice has to be right. Hopefully in the new films the voice of the Lion will be peasant for listening. 🙂

Agreed! But did you see my comment?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 15, 2023 2:54 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: