Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Music Blog

Page 1 / 2
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

Welcome to a new blog! This is a music blog where you can share some of your favourite pieces of music and see what other people love. Smile Links to the music you're talking about are highly encouraged, but not essential if they are unavailable.

Rules:
1) Keep songs and videos clean; any videos embedded need to be family-friendly. If you link to a song with an instance or two of swearing or cursing, post a note with the link mentioning that. Explicit songs and videos are not allowed.
2) Don't post pirated songs. To the best of your knowledge, only post songs or links to songs that legally uploaded.
3) Please try to include links to sites where people don't need an account to listen to the music (such as Youtube, Soundcloud, etc.). However, if you can't easily find a link there and want to share a link to Spotify or some other such site, that is allowable. Please do try to mention the artist and title in your post, though.

4) Please don't just post a link; please do feel free to talk about why you like or song or comment on other people's songs. Extended discussions (more than a couple of sentences, or more than a couple of back-and-forth exchanges) should move to the Favorite Music thread in the Spare Oom, though.
5) Post only one or two songs per post; please don't post a long list.

What are some pieces of music you love? Smile

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 18, 2020 8:54 am
Courtenay liked
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

Some of my go-to writing music is the soundtrack to Howl's Moving Castle, and these two covers are particular favorites:

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 20, 2020 4:48 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Really nice, @rose! Smile  

One of my favourite instrumental pieces at the moment (I first heard it on Classic FM radio some time ago and keep coming back to it) is The Beyondness of Things by film composer John Barry — I gather it's not from a movie soundtrack, just a piece from his own imagination. I just love the mysterious, wistful, slightly sad yet hopeful atmosphere of it (at least, that's what I hear in it!)... just seems to suit my mood lately.

(I'm pretty sure this posting of it on YouTube is legal, as it's from the English Chamber Orchestra's channel, and they're the orchestra playing it in the recording.)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2020 3:54 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Well, my recent playlist choices have been a bit non-traditional, even for me.  For example: "Deep Dive" by TryHardNinja

I don't typically seek out a lot of Youtuber originated music, however I discovered this song because the developers of Subnautica: Below Zero actually put it in the game (and I happen to be playing the Early Access).  It is based off of the original Subnautica and although the lyrics make the most sense if you've actually played the game, I think they work with any type of exploration or adventure studying the unknown - and I have an explorer's heart 😛 .  One of my dreams growing up was to study and travel to the deepest depths of the ocean (which is probably why I love the game, Subnautica, so much.)  I have been seriously overplaying this song since I discovered it.  I'm amazed my family hasn't displayed any signs of annoyance 😛  It really makes me want to go outside and study the wildlife or discover something new.  After all...

"There's a world that moves just right under the tide,
But I'll never know unless I look inside..."

That verse just sends chills right through my spine.

The other thing I've been playing a bunch recently is "Crossroads Elegy (Main Theme)" from the The Long Dark Episode 3 soundtrack (The whole soundtrack is composed by Cris Velasco and Sascha Dikiciyan, I believe).  Unfortunately, I can't find a link that either isn't pirated or doesn't cost money, so I can't really share it here, but I've been letting the whole theme run on the main menu before starting up the game and playing.  The best way I could describe it is evoking equal parts of sadness and mourning for a forever changed and lost world (in game) and a sense of resilience and hope as your character travels and survives in the world that's left (again in game).  At least that's how I view it 😛  Both volumes of the soundtrack, but this theme in particular, have just been resonating a lot with me recently given current global events.  And it really is just beautiful, beautiful music. 

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 21, 2020 3:29 pm
King_Erlian
(@king_erlian)
NarniaWeb Guru

Here's a link to the album I released last year:

https://soundcloud.com/user-778056209/sets/running-up-a-waterfall

It sort of reflects my life, starting around 1986 when I was in my early twenties, through to 2017. The title "Running Up A Waterfall" is a line from the song "Farther Up, Farther In" which, of course, is based on "The Last Battle", though that's the only Narnia reference on the album.

I've also released an album of a rock opera I wrote in 1985, when I was an undergraduate. It's called "Locusts And Honey" and is based on the life of John the Baptist as recorded in the Gospels:

https://soundcloud.com/user-778056209/sets/locusts-and-honey

Hope you enjoy them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2020 3:37 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

*dusts off thread*

I haven't heard much of your music, @King_Erlian, but I've enjoyed what I've heard! Smile

"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" isn't one of my favourite Christmas songs in general, but I love Ella Fitzgerald's version - it's a lot more upbeat and, well, encouraging, than most I've heard. Giggle

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : December 11, 2020 3:40 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Just discovered this thread - I'll definitely have to give these a listen.  Came at a good time, because I've had 'Baby Shark' stuck in my head all day (if you don't know what that song is, look it up - or don't).  

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 12, 2020 9:14 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

@Glenwit I must preface this by saying I'm not a Nationals fan Wink but I was very amused when one of the Nationals players chose "Baby Shark" for his walk up music because his two year old daughter liked the song. Made the 2019 World Series very memorable. LOL (I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I try to watch a bit every year with my brother, who is.)

@ValiantArcher Ooh, I like the Ella Fitzgerald version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" that song has a tendency to make me misty-eyed, but you're right about her take being much more upbeat! Another one that tends more towards hopeful rather than wistful is Relient K's version, although this year even it's getting to me a little bit. Begone, foul 2020! Tongue

And to change things up, here's a Christmas song that has made me laugh every December since it was released: "Humbug" by Owl City. Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 18, 2020 11:13 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

@rose

I quite like that Christmas album by Relient K - my favourite song from it is 'In Like a Lion (Always Winter)!
Fun fact: It was originally written for the soundtrack of the Walden LWW film but didn't make the final cut! 

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2020 9:51 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

I heard this beautiful piece of music on the car radio earlier and had to look it up when I got home — it's A Chloris by Reynaldo Hahn, originally a romantic song, but this was an instrumental version with Sol Gabetta on cello. I've just found the exact same recording on her YouTube channel, so thought others might like to listen as well!

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 17, 2021 10:44 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Might not be everyone's style, but this guy has my heartbeat figured out. Just wanted to share!  Kind of folky/cinematic.  

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 22, 2021 11:19 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Back with more music.

For any Switchfoot fans on this site - Jon Foreman (their lead singer) does some solo stuff as well.  He recently came out with a new album called 'Departures'. 

I've included a somewhat Narnian-sounding song off there!

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 4, 2021 9:09 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)

@glenwit Wow, that was quite awesome, thanks! Applause  

(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2021 1:41 am
Glenwit liked
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Back with more music because why not!

Some of my favourite songs right now are the ones which sound and feel like their own little movie. 

"If less is more, this is the most I've ever been".  Powerful stuff.

This is the journey
This is the trial
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 10, 2021 9:59 am
Lady Jill the Loyal
(@lady-jill-the-loyal)
NarniaWeb Regular

I just want to mention a piece of music that gets me every time, which also incidentally reminds me of Narnia! Specifically, I wish they would use it in the film of the Magician's Nephew if that ever happens, because a section of it is gorgeous for the transition between London and the Wood.

It's Alma Deutscher's Siren Sounds Waltz. Classical music, at Carnegie Hall. She was fourteen at the time. It does not sound like the music of a fourteen year old. She does do quite a bit of talking at the start, explaining it, skip through a bit to the music if you want.

I also like Amira Willighagen's 'Follow Your Heart' for Narnia - I picture it as a discussion between Susan and the ideas of Narnia, as she's falling away a bit. It just seems to fit. Amira was thirteen at the album's release (there are other excellent songs on there too).

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2021 10:25 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: