Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Dream Casting for The Magician's Nephew

DufflepudUK
(@dufflepuduk)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is already a topic that has been discussed, but I was wondering what people thought about a new cast for the Magician's Nephew? Here is my idea for it:

Digory - Jude Hill

Polly - Bronte Carmichael

Jadis - Michelle Williams

Uncle Andrew - Hugh Grant

Mrs Ketterley - Jenny Agutter

Mabel Kirke - Olivia Colman

Mr Kirke - Jude Law

King Frank - Danny Dyer

Queen Helen - Emily Blunt

Mrs Lefay - Michelle Yeoh

Fledge/Strawberry - Hugh Bonneville

Aslan - David Oyelowo

A bit of background, for my university course, I have to pitch a film of our choice, and I chose The Magican's Nephew, interested to hear your thoughts

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 17, 2023 9:44 am
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think that’s an idea for a cast list. I think the most important thing is that whoever they cast, they can get the characters right. 

I kind of also think Emma Stone could be Jadis or she could be Helen. 

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 17, 2023 3:26 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

@dufflepuduk 

Some interesting choices in there. The children's roles are often the hardest to pick, given you are in a perpetual race against time to get the ages right, but if they do the stories in publication order again then we are potentially looking at casting for the role of a 12 year old child in a production which might itself still be 12 years away. Therefore I'm backing my own entirely hypothetical unborn children for both parts 😉 

In all.seriousness though, I've not yet seen Belfast, but I've heard good things about it, as well as Jude Hil, so I like that pick. 👍

Michelle Williams I could definitely see as a younger Tilda Swinton type, unfortunately she is far too short for the role (only 5 foot 4) especially since Jadis in MN is described as a statuesque Boudicca-type figure (Gwendolyn Christie often gets brought up in that regard).

I'm definitely though a big fan of Hugh Grant's recent career turn into fantastic villainous roles, therefore I can definitely see him as Uncle Andrew, even if I typically see the character as more a more tall and slender individual (like a Peter Capaldi type).

Danny Dyer is someone I absolutely despise as an actor, but I definitely love the idea of a "Danny Dyer type" as Frank the Cabby. Essentially the same look and feel, just someone with actual acting ability.🙂

Aslan's an interesting choice too, I've enjoyed David Oyelowo's work in a lot of things, though I think regardless of who they pick they will need to do a lot of voice modulation in post production to ensure the tone of voice sounds plausible for one that might emanate from a very large Lion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2023 5:50 pm
Share: