Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Caspian's Father???

Page 1 / 3
AslanIsOnTheMove
(@aslanisonthemove)
NarniaWeb Nut

Ok so I haven't seen the movie yet. (I will on the 8th which I'm really excited about!!!! ) But according to imdb Nathaniel Parker is playing Caspian's father. So now I would like a spoiler. I think... I'm just curious... How does Caspian's father fit into all this since he's dead? Does he have something do do with Dark Island? Is he a flashback of Caspian's? A flashback of one of the lords'? Furthermore how long is he in the movie? Does he have any speaking lines! So many questions!!!! Please help!!!! Thanks ;;)

Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2010 7:50 am
king caspian
(@king-caspian)
NarniaWeb Nut

It might be in Caspian's dream or on nightmare island. Perhaps after Caspian fund out Miraz killed his father maybe he began envisioning his death in recent nightmares.

I haven't seen the movie either yet, but it sounds like it maybe interesting and I can't wait to see that.

Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena

Posted : December 6, 2010 7:55 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Caspian's father is referred to, that is all, to my knowledge. The Seven Lords were Caspian's father's friends, they were sent away after Caspian's father was killed by his brother, Miraz, and they were the only Telmarines who didn't fear the sea. Dr Cornelius also mentioned that Caspian's mother was the only Telmarine who was ever kind to him. That was their mention in both PC and VDT (the books).

Posted : December 6, 2010 7:59 am
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

How does Caspian's father fit into all this... Does he have something do do with Dark Island? Is he a flashback of Caspian's?... Furthermore how long is he in the movie? Does he have any speaking lines?

He appears to Caspian as a manifestation of the Dark Island in a similar manner to how the White Witch appears to Edmund (also, Rhince sees the Dark Island mist take the form of his wife).

You only see his head, he is on screen for maybe 2-3 seconds, and he has only one line of dialogue about Caspain being a disappointment to him. Its kind of hinted at through the movie that Caspian has some father issues, which then build up to a nice concluding moment when he gets to the end of the world.

Posted : December 6, 2010 8:02 am
king caspian
(@king-caspian)
NarniaWeb Nut

Thanks icarus! That was my exact speculation on this whole thing all along. :)

Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena

Posted : December 6, 2010 8:06 am
AslanIsOnTheMove
(@aslanisonthemove)
NarniaWeb Nut

He appears to Caspian as a manifestation of the Dark Island in a similar manner to how the White Witch appears to Edmund (also, Rhince sees the Dark Island mist take the form of his wife).

You only see his head, he is on screen for maybe 2-3 seconds, and he has only one line of dialogue about Caspain being a disappointment to him. Its kind of hinted at through the movie that Caspian has some father issues, which kind of build up to a nice concluding moment when he gets to the end of the world.

Thanks Icarus!!!

WOW!!! That's a terrible nightmare! Even worse than the WW Nightmare. At least Edmund knows that the she's dead and can't hold any power over him anymore. But there's no real way Caspian could know if he's a dissapointment to his father. I applaud the powers that be for making that Caspian's nightmare. It's quite brilliant.

It sounds like the nightmares aren't random creepy crawlies and weird noises, which would either scare children or look weird on screen, but rather a type of psycological terror which would be most frightening to the person experiencing it. And of course there's the sea serpent, which would be frightening to the entire crew rather than one individual. Absolutely brilliant! This movie is gonna be so awesome!!!!

Topic starter Posted : December 6, 2010 8:27 am
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

Interesting. I didn't know that the Dark Island took on the form of Caspian's father. Really it does sound like a bizarre combo of the Smoke Monster from Lost and the First from Buffy. ;))

Posted : December 6, 2010 9:35 am
MaidenofNarnia
(@maidenofnarnia)
NarniaWeb Regular

Its interesting that Caspian`s father being disappointed in him is his fear. I thought that he would have some type of element in his character arc concerning his family. Although I thought it might be more geared toward a lingering bitterness toward his uncle for killing his father. Not to go off topic but what happened to Caspian`s mother ? Did Miraz kill her too? It`s been a while since I read the book. Hopefully the movie will thoroughly explore this theme for Caspian. I`m curious as to how filmmakers will handle this theme though out the movie.

Posted : December 6, 2010 10:47 am
aslanscountry
(@aslanscountry)
NarniaWeb Nut

I watched the movie yesterday. I don't mind the addition of Caspian's father issue but I think it's too underdeveloped, that is we never saw how Caspian finally overcome this issue/temptation. Lucy solved hers with Aslan's help and Edmund finally had the courage to dispel the White Witch's shadow (though it's more due to Eustace finally completing the 7 swords at Aslan's table). But Caspian's dream just come and go and we're never really sure how he dealt with it. Then again, since I watched the 3D without subtitle, I might've missed some dialogues.

You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye

Posted : December 6, 2010 11:30 am
Lucy of Narnia
(@lucy-of-narnia)
NarniaWeb Guru

Wow! That sounds creepy, and a great plot element! Hope it's developed well enough not to sem random, as some say it's not done well...I hope it satisfies me! :)

Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!

Posted : December 6, 2010 11:47 am
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

My only concern about the Caspian's Father issues, is that wouldn't that contradict PC, I mean Caspian was pretty upset to find out that Miraz killed his father, and he was too sad to talk about it to Trufflehunter and Nikabrik... Of course I have not seen the movie (I know, why am I on this thread) so maybe it will work.

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : December 6, 2010 12:14 pm
RoseRed
(@rosered)
NarniaWeb Regular

caspians father appears as a manifestation of the green mist for about a minute and says a line about caspian being a disappointment to him, which is mentioned as a fear of caspians a few times in the movie. It was a lvoely idea, but as with a lot of this movie the way it was executed does not do it credit, it feels sorely underdeveloped, and thus it's resolution feels hollow :-s

Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.

Posted : December 6, 2010 8:00 pm
MinotaurforAslan
(@minotaurforaslan)
NarniaWeb Junkie

It didn't make sense at all to me in the movie. At the beginning of the film, Caspian proudly tells the Pevensies about all the accomplishments he has done, and how he has managed to bring peace to the entire surrounding continent in just 3 years. Then he inexplicably feels like his father isn't satisfied with him and he's a horrible king until Aslan changes his mind at the World's End.

Posted : December 6, 2010 9:08 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

Yes that is true, Minotaur for Aslan. But don't forget that little exchange Caspian had with Miraz, his uncle, in PC (the film), just before Sopespian stabbed Miraz in the back. That exchange was all about Telmarine kingship, when Miraz queried whether or not Caspian would make a good king 'after all'. Caspian on that occasion firmly rejected the idea, commenting 'not like you', to Miraz, and that he was giving back Narnia to its oldest inhabitants.

We don't know why Miraz chose to kill his elder brother, either from the book or from the movie PC. It could have been the sort of underlying resentment at being constantly the second fiddle shown by Edmund at Goldwater Island, when inflamed by the gold lust, as well as having nightmares of the White Witch's blandishments, he also says Caspian is not much of a king. And Miraz could also have killed Caspian IX because he was becoming altogether too friendly with what Miraz would regard as Old Narnians. This is also suggested in this version of VDT, when he allegedly gave seven swords to the Seven Lords which he had received from Aslan.

This by the way is not at odds with either PC or VDT the books. Dr Cornelius in PC (book) stated that Caspian's mother was 'the only Telmarine who was kind to me' (p. . And the Seven Lords Caspian is seeking were his father's friends. 'They alone were not afraid of the sea' when Miraz sent them away, and even at Aslan's Table (VDT p. 153) one mentions that Miraz might have died and that they could then go back.

But that leaves Caspian in a classic male dilemma concerning his father. We don't know why his father died, or whether he agreed with Miraz's ideas on government or not. Caspian has been fed a story of Miraz the Wicked. But what if his father agreed with Miraz, and was just as bad? Caspian did his best to be a good king, hence his proud boasting when Edmund etc come aboard. But Edmund, not only Eustace, provides a cause of friction when he tries to take charge in any way.

I expect that Caspian, who never learned what his father was really like, would indeed have terrible nightmares about what his father thinks of him and the way he rules. That is part of the pathos at the end, on the beach, when Caspian decides that even if his father is in Aslan's country, he would not think much of him, Caspian X, if he didn't go back to rule Narnia.

Posted : December 6, 2010 10:05 pm
aragorn2
(@aragorn2)
NarniaWeb Junkie

We don't know why Miraz chose to kill his elder brother, either from the book or from the movie PC.

But they don't need to tell us, why else do you kill a king a try to become king yourself, he was power-hungry. That is nothing new, there are many, many of examples of such things happening all through history.

Posted : December 7, 2010 1:40 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: