Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Writer's World

Page 79 / 79
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

These thoughts have been bouncing around in my head for a while and I need an outlet for them, so... *dusts thread off* Giggle

I don't know if it's the wannabe web developer in me talking, but I keep thinking that serialized fiction should be making a comeback by now on the internet. There should be a way for writers to monetize their works in the same way that YouTubers monetize videos, and the fact that this doesn't really exist yet is bugging me. Hmmm There are some sites that are trying to do this, but from what I can tell, they generally tend to be an uncurated mess. (I'm not sure if uncurated is a word, but I'm using it anyway. Giggle )

What makes more sense to me is a platform where writers can form groups for similar genres and audiences, which would mimic the magazines that published serial novels back during their heyday in the 1800s. The Secret Garden, for example, was originally published as a serial in a magazine, as was The Count of Monte Cristo.

Do any of y'all know of a site that is trying to do something like this? I know that Medium.com does "publications" which are essentially online magazines, but as far as I can tell, nobody is really using that for publishing serial novels at this point.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 17, 2021 3:58 pm
Ryadian and Courtenay liked
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

I quite like the idea! Unfortunately, you are far more knowledgeable on the subject than I am, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question. 🙁 The most I can say is that I used to use FictionPress.com (and FanFiction.net), and you upload your story one chapter at a time there. Back when I used them, though (bear in mind this is 15+ years ago), they were basically just a free publishing platform for aspiring writers. I don't think it's ever been monetized in the way you're describing.

But it reminded me of a sort of similar idea I've been mulling about: the revival of the radio play. Granted, I'm heavily biased by having grown up with Adventures in Odyssey, but I love the idea of basically making a podcast that features an ongoing story instead of being a talk show. (For all I know, this already exists, but I haven't yet found it.) It seems like a relatively low-budget (compared to filming or animating) way of telling a story, and I think an audience could be found for it. 

I've actually considered writing one myself, but my biggest hurdle is that I don't think any of the stories I want to tell would make good audio-only stories. (I tend to write stories that have a lot of action scenes, and while I hesitate to say it would be impossible to translate them into audio-only... I think it would require more skill than I have. Giggle Perhaps if I just wrote a serial audiobook instead....)

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 28, 2021 9:03 pm
The Scribbler
(@scrib)
NarniaWeb Regular

That is a great idea Rose, I've toyed around with that idea myself for a modern version of "Phantom of the Opera" set at my old high school! So many classic stories were released that way, it would be fun to do one in a modern format. I've also considered reaching out to local newspapers to see if they would have any interest in serial stories, you never know. Right now, I use Booksie.com for putting out random poems and stories and I have my blog that I put things up on (aafouch.blogspot.com). I really like blogs for serials since I can usually subscribe to them and get them directly in my inbox.

I've never used FictionPress or FanFiction.net but I certainly have read on them Ryadian Cool I grew up in AIO as well, and while audio writing seems like a HUGE challenge to me, it might be fun. An audiobook release week by week would be good too, and less stressful. Kevin Mcreary (who helped out on the Blimey Cow youtube channel) made a podcast/audio drama based off the AIO model, I've only listened to a couple but the production value was pretty good! It was called "The Ceiling Fan" if I remember right... 

Great to talk writing shop with you ladies. I'd love to read any of your pieces that you would feel comfortable with sharing. I'm off to write right now actually, doing my senior thesis on Perelandra, so it's going to be a fun challenge! 

Have a great weekend! 

-Scrib

"Hello there!" - Obi Wan
aafouch.blogspot.com
Copywriter, Academic Writing, Fiction, Children's Literature

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 30, 2021 2:00 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

*Coughs awkwardly* Well, I'm only five months late in replying to this.... Blush

Posted by: @scrib

Kevin Mcreary (who helped out on the Blimey Cow youtube channel) made a podcast/audio drama based off the AIO model, I've only listened to a couple but the production value was pretty good! It was called "The Ceiling Fan" if I remember right... 

I actually remember listening to some of those episodes back in the day - back when I was an AiO superfan and consumed just about anything I could find. I actually remember seeing him in a Blimey Cow video and recognizing his voice and name, and suddenly remembering that The Ceiling Fan existed... about 10 years after the last time I'd listened to it. Giggle Small world, I guess.

I haven't had any brilliant ideas, but both of these ideas (going back to basically serial book writing and audio dramas) have stuck with me since we last talked about them. I did realize there are a couple of stories of mine that could actually work as an audio drama and a sort of "serial book", respectively. I'll have to actually finish writing one of these, though, before I can say whether or not it works. 😉

Posted by: @scrib

Great to talk writing shop with you ladies. I'd love to read any of your pieces that you would feel comfortable with sharing. I'm off to write right now actually, doing my senior thesis on Perelandra, so it's going to be a fun challenge! 

Aww, thanks! And thank you for contributing! 🙂 I imagine you're a lot farther along with that now (if not already done!), but if you're still working on it - good luck, and I hope you do really well!! 🙂 I'm unfortunately a long way from having sharable material (despite writing just about every day, go figure), but hopefully that'll change in the near(ish) future. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 2, 2021 10:48 pm
Blue Jay liked
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
NarniaWeb Regular

Hello, all! I'm new to this forum. I've going through the Narnia series very gradually.

I've also been working on writing my own book and it has me thinking a lot about the Inklings writing group Lewis was in. Do we have any other writers here and if so, what do you enjoy writing?

Personally, I roleplayed for 7 years before giving it up to pursue works of fiction for God. Today, my most developed story (yet not published or anything of the sort) involves the 1912s and time travel. There's much more I could add to that but it's rather long winded. Giggle  

“Auntie, why was there a nurse living in our walls?"
- Random Personal Book Quote

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2022 11:02 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Blue Jay! 😀 Ooh, I'm intrigued by the premise of your book. What genre would you say it is? I assume sci-fi or fantasy if there's time travel, but you never know.... 😉

I mostly write fantasy books and superhero stories. (I used to dabble in sci-fi, too, but my sci-fi all ended up being fantasy in a sci-fi suit. Giggle ) A lot of these are stories that started when I was a kid or in my young teens, so they've all got a younger bent. Which is fine - most of my favorite stories in any medium are made for kids. 🙂

I used to roleplay a lot, too! I think it was a great way to start writing, since it helped me focus on figuring out what my character(s) were going to do without having to worry too much about figuring out the plot. I used to write a bit of fanfiction, too, which kind of let me do the opposite - I already had existing characters to play with, I just needed to put them in an interesting story. (Of course, eventually I had to learn how to supply both the plot and the characters on my own. Still working on that. Blush )

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2022 6:19 pm
Blue Jay liked
tricia_pevensie
(@tricia_pevensie)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Hi! I also used to roleplay, specifically in Narnia actually, so that's really cool! It's definitely good training, except in the brevity and plot department haha, I ended up quitting because I got too deep into plot structure and that's not particularly feasible when writing with other people in a more relaxed fashion. So many great memories though.

I'm still writing fanfic, too, I have some original books in mind but for now I feel very led to work on my fics. My main series follows Tirian's life from age 16 until the Last Battle ^^

A time travel story sounds awesome! I'm very partial to sci fi too and it tends to creep into my AUs a lot, though I'm sure Lewis wouldn't mind

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2022 6:32 pm
Blue Jay liked
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
NarniaWeb Regular

@rya

Welcome to NarniaWeb, Blue Jay! 😀 Ooh, I'm intrigued by the premise of your book. What genre would you say it is? I assume sci-fi or fantasy if there's time travel, but you never know.... 😉

I mostly write fantasy books and superhero stories. (I used to dabble in sci-fi, too, but my sci-fi all ended up being fantasy in a sci-fi suit. Giggle

The genre is definitely sci-fi! And thank you for the welcome! It follows three siblings living in 1912 and they find out their father was a time traveler. The rest unfolds from there but the essential message/story points to the purest form of redemption-- that being Jesus. It has symbolism that needs to be dug into to truly understand what's being said. Forgiveness from sin (reconciliation), forgiveness from hurting others, and forgiveness of self upon repenting. 

It's very cool you write fantasy/superhero stories! That's actually another style for another story I have... I have to many I would love to spill over about and what they're supposed to teach in a very storytelling way. Aliens that look like elves, that would be me combining sci-fi and fantasy lol. 

A lot of these are stories that started when I was a kid or in my young teens, so they've all got a younger bent. Which is fine - most of my favorite stories in any medium are made for kids. 🙂

Oh lovely! My stories are definitely addressed to tween/teens-young adult (more for the sort of grammar than content, I want these characters clean and family friendly). The main character of the time travel one, he was made when I was about 11ish 12ish. It's very cool to hear what sort of things we have in common here! (Also, as a fellow Last Airbender fan, I will say I love Zuko as a character and his character development is to aim for!)

I used to roleplay a lot, too! I think it was a great way to start writing, since it helped me focus on figuring out what my character(s) were going to do without having to worry too much about figuring out the plot. I used to write a bit of fanfiction, too, which kind of let me do the opposite - I already had existing characters to play with, I just needed to put them in an interesting story. (Of course, eventually I had to learn how to supply both the plot and the characters on my own. Still working on that. Blush )

@tricia_pevensie

Hi! I also used to roleplay, specifically in Narnia actually, so that's really cool! It's definitely good training, except in the brevity and plot department haha, I ended up quitting because I got too deep into plot structure and that's not particularly feasible when writing with other people in a more relaxed fashion. So many great memories though.

Oh, I know what you to mean. I adored roleplay! I left roleplay because I was utterly addicted to it and felt like God wanted me to use my gifts for something that other people could use (noted: roleplay was a good tool but unfortunately, it is very easy to abuse, which is part of why God helped me leave) Though I do admit I miss the elements of sharing one's story with another in a flow of harmony. Can't say I would ever go back unless it was a duel written book.

I'm still writing fanfic, too, I have some original books in mind but for now I feel very led to work on my fics. My main series follows Tirian's life from age 16 until the Last Battle ^^

I will be the first to be honest and say I have not completed the Narnia series... YET. I've been wanting to a while (my mind is more of a scrambly artist than a writer or reader but that could be because of ADHD). Perhaps it would be interesting to read your extension (Lewis DLC Cool ) once  finished! That is if you wanted. 

A time travel story sounds awesome! I'm very partial to sci fi too and it tends to creep into my AUs a lot, though I'm sure Lewis wouldn't mind

From what I know of what Lewis enjoyed, he'd probably be intrigued to see what you've added on with time travel. I know he was a bit of a sci-fi guy himself, ahead of his time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2022 10:43 pm
Courtenay liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Welcome to the forum, Blue Jay!

I've also written some stories, that tend to be either sci-fi or fantasy (and I went through a fan fiction phase some years ago).

I learned about NaNoWriMo - an annual challenge to write a 50,000-word novel each November - right here on the forum and have participated in it a few times.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2022 3:22 pm
Blue Jay liked
tricia_pevensie
(@tricia_pevensie)
NarniaWeb Newbie

@blue-jay 

Your story sounds really cool, forgiveness is one if my favorite themes so I really appreciate that you're exploring it!

And yes you are more than welcome to check out my work whenever you finish canon haha (I'm on Wattpad and AO3 with the same username as here, and FFN without the underscore ^^) Hope you enjoy the rest of your Narnian adventure! (The Last Battle is my fav)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2022 3:33 pm
Blue Jay liked
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
NarniaWeb Regular

@stargazer

Welcome to the forum, Blue Jay!

I've also written some stories, that tend to be either sci-fi or fantasy (and I went through a fan fiction phase some years ago).

Thanks for the welcome! It's cool you've written some stories. I also used to do fan fiction until I developed a love for creating my own characters.

I learned about NaNoWriMo - an annual challenge to write a 50,000-word novel each November - right here on the forum and have participated in it a few times.

Ah, yes, I've heard of that month many times, especially in high school! I have to be honest with you, I'm an artist before a writer. I love dialogue more than description but a book can't be all dialogue, can it? Lol. I can respect those so ambitious to write 50k words in a month. I have never tried it before! It's a really cool thing you have!

@tricia_pevensie

Your story sounds really cool, forgiveness is one if my favorite themes so I really appreciate that you're exploring it!

Thank you! I had to go through it with a situation in my teenage years. From there, it's expanded from forgiveness but also two kinds of people: the religious hypocrites and rule breakers (very much inspired by Bible examples like in Romans). The brothers in the story fight a lot and there is a really big fight later on that sets stage for the rest of the series. 

And yes you are more than welcome to check out my work whenever you finish canon haha (I'm on Wattpad and AO3 with the same username as here, and FFN without the underscore ^^) Hope you enjoy the rest of your Narnian adventure! (The Last Battle is my fav)

I'll have to see about that then! And thank you, I'm sure I will enjoy it! The Last Battle will probably be a favorite if it has Biblical parallels. I love Genesis and Revelation, that's what I base it off on lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2022 4:17 pm
Page 79 / 79
Share: