Notifications
Clear all

Tome & Folio - Books: Third Edition

Page 3 / 10
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @snowangel

I finished Strong Poison and Have His Carcase by Dorothy L. Sayers. I'm trying to pick a favorite in the series thus far, but I've enjoyed the series as whole so much it's hard to decide. Plus I've only read two so far with Harriet Vane in them and she's not really in Strong Poison all that much, so it's only in Have His Carcase that I've really gotten a chance to read much Wimsey/Vane dialog which is great fun to read. Smile

You know there was a TV series of Dorothy L. Sayers mysteries — I think produced by the BBC — back in the late 1980s or early '90s, and it included Strong Poison and Have His Carcase ... it may have been mentioned here before, but I can't quite remember! Smile  My mum is a huge fan of classic British mysteries, particularly Christie and Sayers, and I remember us videotaping those when they were shown on TV in Australia and Mum used to watch them regularly.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 25, 2023 5:49 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

@courtenay, I saw the Strong Poison episode like 10 or so years ago and I don't think we watched the other episodes. My siblings and I had gotten into Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie shortly before that, so we got the Strong Poison episode from the library, but we didn't enjoy it as much as the other mysteries we were watching and reading at the time. I'm glad I finally got around to reading Dorothy Sayers' books. Smile  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 26, 2023 10:01 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I love the book The Wild Isles, which is based on the last television documentary hosted by David Attenborough. I haven’t seen the TV series yet, but I was going to wait for the DVD release since the viewing is better on my television than on my computer or on this little i-pad.  There still is a need for companion books even in our world of technology. So I would recommend buying at least a few of them if you are a book lover since they offer the fine photography and reading in print, which is a fine alternative to merely watching a movie or television series.  I am about as happy with the printed versions of documentaries as with the programs on the screen. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 27, 2023 3:36 am
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Here's a book for the child who is told

"Don't be shy!"

"I am not shy."

"I am quiet."

I am quiet by Powers, illustr Petersen

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2023 4:04 pm
Courtenay liked
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

How're you coming with the Lord Peter series, @SnowAngel? I'm glad you're still enjoying them! Smile

@Arin, I also disliked Alleyn and didn't care much for the mystery itself in the one Ngaio Marsh I read. I know she's acclaimed, but I haven't been tempted to try any other of her books.

@fantasia, are you all still trekking through the Oz books, or have you convinced them to take a short break yet? Giggle

I've had some hit or miss reads since I last posted, but I was pleasantly surprised by Tricia Mingerink's Dare (Christian YA fantasy - I'm pretty picky about those, but this had some grounding/new elements I haven't really run across in other stories, so I was pretty happy there). It's the first in the series, though, so now I'm trying to get my hands on the rest. Giggle

I'm currently working my way through a reread of the Monster-Blood Tattoo trilogy by D. M. Cornish. It's been years since my first read, so while I remembered a few main plot points and characters, most of the rest of it has had to fill in again with this read. I'm up to the third book and have been immensely enjoying it, including picking up on things that I missed the first time around.
I'm also reading The Enchanted Sonata by Heather Dixon Wallwork; I'm still early, but so far I'm enjoying it. After really enjoying her first book and finding her second book underwhelming, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will fall closer to the first overall.

Is anyone doing any library summer reading programs? I'm glad that adult summer reading programs exist lots of places now (I don't think they were as prevalent when I was doing the kids' ones), even if at least mine is pretty sad in comparison to the children's and teen's programs. Giggle

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 4, 2023 8:19 pm
SnowAngel liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @valiantarcher

@fantasia, are you all still trekking through the Oz books, or have you convinced them to take a short break yet? Giggle

Nope! Still trekking through. Giggle I suspect we'll finish them before moving on to something else. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 5, 2023 2:17 pm
johobbit liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I am enjoying Adventures of a Young Naturalist by David Attenborough. It is so interesting to read about Mr. Attenborough’s adventures in the making of his first documentary, Zoo Quest, which he made during the 1950’s.  He has achieved so much in his work of protecting wildlife and the natural world during his long career as a broadcaster and conservationist. I’m also going to read the sequel, Journey to the Other Side of the World.  David Attenborough’s books are just as lively and interesting as his television series. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2023 5:06 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

How're you coming with the Lord Peter series, @SnowAngel? I'm glad you're still enjoying them! Smile

I haven't read anymore yet, I'm working on reading a few books from the past year's book purchases and then I will move onto Murder Must Advertise.

I finished reading The Laird's Inheritance, still like it, but I had forgot how wordy George MacDonald is at times in his novels. Now I want to read The Fisherman's Lady and The Baronet's Song again since those were my other two favorites years ago.

I am currently reading Seawitch by Alistair MacLean, Whatever Happened To Worship? by A.W. Tozer, and A Commitment To Valor compiled and edited by Rod Gragg. I have bookmarks in several other books, but those three are the ones I am actively making progress on. I should be able to finish at least two of the books before the end of the work week. Smile I especially want to finish both nonfiction books since I didn't finish any nonfiction in May.

I'm liking Seawitch, but there is a little bit of foul language in it. At nearly two-thirds of the way through the book, I am leaning towards keep it if the story turns out well and if the current rate of language holds or is less going forward.

I miss having an adult summer reading program, current library only has a program for little kids, they don't even do one for the teens. Sad  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 7, 2023 10:03 am
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@fantasia, hope it goes quickly! Giggle

Do you primarily read nonfiction, @Narnian78?

Sounds like you're doing well in making progress through your previously-purchased books, @SnowAngel! I'm sorry to hear your current library only has a children's summer reading program - that's too bad. Sad

I finished The Enchanted Sonata by Heather Dixon Wallwork earlier this week. It continued to mostly be a light, fun read and I enjoyed it.
 Next up will probably be Factotum, the last book in the Monster Blood-Tattoo trilogy, but we'll see if I get distracted by something else first. Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2023 6:48 pm
SnowAngel liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@valiantarcher 

I have read much nonfiction lately, but I will occasionally read fantasy and science fiction such as old Star Trek novels. I think it is a good exercise for the mind to read both.  It is more enjoyable to experience the real and fantasy worlds in your reading. 🙂

I would also recommend reading old Star Trek magazines like the Star Trek Files Magazine and the Star Trek Communicator especially if you like and appreciate the original series.  Although they are long out of print, there are still copies of them available on eBay and other old booksellers. It’s fun to look into the past and read the articles, many of which describe who was in the original episodes. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 10, 2023 7:50 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Sounds like you're doing well in making progress through your previously-purchased books, @SnowAngel! I'm sorry to hear your current library only has a children's summer reading program - that's too bad. Sad

I finished Seawitch (enjoyed it, I got some wite-out so the siblings can read it), A Commitment To Valor (it was good, going to keep it), did a quickish read of The Rebel and the Quaker by Mary Ellis (this was another book I picked up last year, it was okay). So far I haven't commitment to getting rid of any books I read, but I did set a few books aside that I might just give away without reading.

I'm reading Halt's Peril by John Flanagan because my little sister got it from the library for me. About two-thirds of the way through this one, I read the book 8 of the series in April and book 7 in March after not having read any of the series since 2017. I had to go look at my goodreads account because I couldn't remember when I read them, it has been a few years. Giggle  

Also still reading Whatever Happened To Worship?, probably finish it this week.

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 21, 2023 6:47 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator
Posted by: @snowangel

Also still reading Whatever Happened To Worship?

Is that the classic book by A.W. Tozer? Wonderful stuff!

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 22, 2023 9:14 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Has anyone here read Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C. S. Lewis by Douglas Gresham?  I just started reading this book and found it really fascinating. The book was published in 1988, but this is the first time I read it.  If you want to know about Mr. Gresham’s childhood and early life this is the book to read. There is much in it about the time when he and Joy first met Lewis and their incredible relationship as a new family. In fact it is much more accurate than the movie Shadowlands since the book was written by Mr. Gresham himself, who provided his own experience.  I recommend it highly especially if you have never read it before. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2023 1:12 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@narnian78 Yes, I read it a couple of years ago and loved it! It was so moving and yes, definitely more accurate than Shadowlands (of which I'm not a fan, as it completely misrepresents Lewis's faith in God, but that's off topic here). 

As well as Lenten Lands, I also deeply enjoyed Jack's Life, which (as you can guess) is Douglas Gresham's biography of his stepfather. It's really beautiful as well and I think it truly brings out the depth of Lewis's Christianity and humility and humanity, in a way I don't think any other biographer has managed.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 23, 2023 4:31 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@Narnian78, I agree that it's good to read both fiction and non-fiction (and a range within those two categories)! Smile

@SnowAngel, it's a good skill to be able to look at a book and decide you're actually not interested or it's not worth reading (and it means there is more space for books you do want Wink ), so glad you're getting to exercise it!
Is Halt's Peril the ninth (last?) Ranger's Apprentice book? I don't think I ever made it past book three or maybe four.

I did get distracted (by multiple books, no less!) Giggle but I have now finished Factotum by D.M. Cornish. As expected, it was still good on a reread, though I'm struck afresh for the desire to read more books set on the Half-Continent (if not a sequel series!); as far as I know, the book of short stories (I think) was never published in the States. Sad

On the flip side, I have successfully completed the library adult summer reading program now. Grin

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 25, 2023 4:19 pm
Narnian78 liked
Page 3 / 10
Share: