Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The shot is up...and its good! General Sports Discussion

Page 30 / 33
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

I'm pretty sure that title would have to go to my sister Scarlet who has a stack of book she plans to be reading during the game tomorrow. :D

I, on the other hand, am very excited to watch the Chiefs in the Super Bowl tomorrow. B-) There has been a lot of excitement around here the last month, my family with except Scarlet really enjoyed watching the Chiefs in the playoffs this year. Both sides of my extended family are Chiefs fans, so I think it might be in the genes which means Scarlet must have gotten skipped and I got her share. ;) Anyway, GO CHIEFS!!! :-bd

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2020 7:47 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I'll reluctantly cheer for the Chiefs, since it has been 50 years since they made it to the big game, and San Francisco has won it several times in that period (unfortunately, the Chiefs beat our hometown team, the Vikings, in that game).

In any event, I hope it's a good, exciting game. I'll be watching with some friends who've hosted Super Bowl parties over the years; it's always a good time.

I've seen some of the commercials that have already been released online, and I thought several were humorous.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 1, 2020 6:01 pm
Tumnus
(@tumnus)
NarniaWeb Regular

It was a pretty exciting Super Bowl at least from what I saw, didn't really have a rooting interest but was happy to see a close one with Andy Reid finally getting a championship.

My Narnia obsessed daughter wanted to watch the BBC Miniseries on Sunday so I followed the game on my phone while we watched Caspian, Dawn Treader, and Silver Chair. Even though we've seen them numerous times, I found myself a lot more concerned with Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum's adventure than with the result of a sportsball match. :)

"Narnia, Narnia, Narnia,
Awake.

Love. Think. Speak.

Be Walking Trees

Be Talking Beasts

Be Divine Waters"
-The Magician's Nephew

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 5, 2020 9:30 am
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Sunday night was awesome.

I was rooting for the Chiefs because they were the underdogs, and I always root for the underdog. 21-point comeback in the fourth quarter. Saw that a bunch of people on here were Chiefs fans as well, which made it even cooler for me.

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 5, 2020 9:51 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Wow, I can't believe I let two whole weeks go by without posting in here...

How about those Chiefs? Cool So crazy that they had to comeback from being down double digits in all three of their playoff games this year, definitely could not count them out of the game at any point. Wink

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 17, 2020 8:08 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

One year ago today the St. Louis Blues won their first championship! Thumbs up I think of all the sports I enjoy watching, I most miss hockey. Or maybe baseball...but since there hasn't been any regular season baseball and there was hockey, yep, it's hockey. Grin  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 12, 2020 1:09 pm
Wunderkind_Lucy
(@wunderkind_lucy)
A Magnet for All Kinds of Deeper Wunderment Hospitality Committee

Is anybody watching the KBO on ESPN? My sisters and I were watching the highlights on Youtube, but since we don't have ESPN, we haven't been able to watch the full games.

~ Wunder

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts." ~ C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Forum 1.0: 1303 posts
WC: 42

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 12, 2020 1:14 pm
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

@Wunderkind_Lucy, is there a particular KBO team that you root for? I'm not a massive baseball fan, but my brother is, and it's been a weird summer for him so far without Major League baseball on television. Giggle He showed me pictures of the stuffed animals the KBO has been putting in the stands, but he hasn't been following their season closely. The MLB season is finally starting up tomorrow, so I'll be curious to see how things go. (Will there be stuffed animals?? Tongue )

And I'm very interested to see how things go with the NHL. I'm a Canes fan and the qualifiers for the play-offs start in August. It should be safer than what they're doing with baseball because they're just trying to conclude the season with qualifiers and playoffs, and that shorter time frame means they can have much greater restrictions and create more of a bubble (the players will be away from their families, for instance) ... but at the end of the day, hockey is a contact sport and you can't social distance during a game. I have mixed feelings: I'm really excited to see hockey again, but I don't want anyone to end up dealing with long-term health consequences or worse.

Here's to hoping everything goes fine... Bats eyes Nail biting  

Also, allegedly Seattle is announcing the name of their new NHL team tomorrow. I want the Seattle Sasquatch (Washington has more reported sightings than any other state!!! Tongue ) but that's probably unlikely. Giggle

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 22, 2020 8:58 pm
Wunderkind_Lucy
(@wunderkind_lucy)
A Magnet for All Kinds of Deeper Wunderment Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @rose

@Wunderkind_Lucy, is there a particular KBO team that you root for? I'm not a massive baseball fan, but my brother is, and it's been a weird summer for him so far without Major League baseball on television. Giggle He showed me pictures of the stuffed animals the KBO has been putting in the stands, but he hasn't been following their season closely.

@rose, I'm cheering for the LG Twins (because I actually am familiar with one of the players), NC Dinos (I hear they have a lot of fans in North Carolina because they don't have a major league team), and KT Wiz (they're kind of the underdogs as they haven't been around as long as the other teams) particularly. My sisters laugh because even though I use a lot of Samsung products (smartphone, tablet, computer, etc.), I'm cheering for LG Twins.

~ Wunder

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles but to irrigate deserts." ~ C. S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
Forum 1.0: 1303 posts
WC: 42

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2020 9:30 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

If I "root for" any team, as opposed to "barrack for" the team, the term usually used here, it would be the Penrith Panthers, who most years have had a very mixed result in this yearly football tournament. They have done well in 1990, & won both the premiership & the minor premiership in 1991, then, unexpectedly they did exceptionally well to win these end of season championships a second time in 2003.  But this year, with all that is happening, I find our very own local team is now first  in the great National Rugby League Competition.

This started in March, this year, just in time to meet head on the Great COVID-19 Year of 2020.  Somehow the tournament was revived to keep everyone amused with a few tweaks to adjust to a different timetable, & to COVID-19 lockdown requirements. And on the 18th round of 20, our very own Panthers are the first on the ladder, with two more rounds to go. They only need one more win to be assured of the Minor Premiership, will be a "dead cert" to be in the finals, which start on the Labor Day Long Weekend, when in past years we usually played the Grand Final, As of last Friday night they set a record of winning 13 rounds in a row of the Round Robin. 

But can they go the whole distance? There are 16 teams in this competition. Lucky for the Panthers it has been a bad year for traditional Queensland favorites like the Titans (Gold Coast), the Broncos (Brisbane) or even the Cowboys (North Queensland). Original Sydney teams like the West Tigers (Campbelltown & Inner West Sydney), Sea Eagles (Manly-Warringah- North Sydney), & the Bulldogs (Canterbury-Bankstown) haven't done so well, either. The Warriors, an Auckland, New Zealand team, probably won't get into the finals, & neither will the Dragons, a foundation team loved by many. (St George -Illawarra - South Sydney down to Wollongong). 

The final eight teams are likely to include 1. The Panthers. 2. The Storm (A Melbourne team to keep Victorians happy). 3. The Roosters (East Sydney), 4. The Eels (Parramatta, translated as Place of Many Eels). Four other teams could cause an upset. They include The Rabbitohs (South Sydney properly which was kept alive & well in the Great Depression of 1930's by "Rabbitohs" & a plague of rabbits), the Raiders (Canberra - the national capital), the Sharks ( Cronulla, a Southern beach suburban area between Botany Bay & Port Hacking) and the Knights in the Hunter Region (Newcastle down to Sydney). 

The AFL, (Australian Football League) which has most of its teams from Melbourne, is more embracing, Australia-wide, with teams from Fremantle, Perth, Adelaide, a team or two from Queensland, & 2 from the Sydney area. There is also the more International Rugby Union, where the New Zealand All Blacks normally dominate the competition.  But in the NRL there is nothing so great as to see a local team doing really well for a change.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2020 6:39 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Three weeks later, Penrith Panthers not only became the Minor Premiers, with a week to spare, but went into the final, having survived the sudden death elimination & semi final rounds. There are only two more rounds to go......the final round weekend after next, when they will meet one of the winners of the semi final round. The other winner of that round will meet Melbourne Storm..... Who will survive it to play in the Grand Final?

The Grand final will be on October 24. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 4, 2020 8:13 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

Annndddd......The Panthers have reached the Grand final to be played next weeked. The first elimination final Panthers, who won the J.J. Giltinan Shield as Minor Premiers, defeated the Roosters, who, being in a Qualifying final, went to play the winners of one of the Elimination finals, which turned out to be the Raiders, who made feather dusters of them. 

The Raiders last Friday night, in turn, got to play the Storm, the Melbourne NRL side, the second on the Round Robin Ladder. The Raiders come from Canberra, our National capital, which is where the Taxation Head office has its headquarters, hence the name.  Last week, in the other elimination semi final, the Rabbitohs made Eel Pie out of our Parramatta Eels. So our team last night played the Rabbitohs, making rabbit stew out of them - with a bit of difficulty.

What will next week bring? Tears or Cheers for the Panthers? Watch this space. I expect if Courtenay is around, she would be barracking for the Storm.  Cool Clover   Praying Dancing or  Praise  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 17, 2020 10:23 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @waggawerewolf27

What will next week bring? Tears or Cheers for the Panthers? Watch this space. I expect if Courtenay is around, she would be barracking for the Storm.  Cool Clover   Praying Dancing or  Praise

No I wouldn't, because I come from Aussie Rules country and rugby (either code) is sacrilege, so there. Grin  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2020 1:33 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Posted by: @courtenay

No I wouldn't, because I come from Aussie Rules country and rugby (either code) is sacrilege, so there. Grin   

Yes Aussie Rules is Australia-wide, just about. There are two New South Wales teams, the Sydney Swans, & the GWS (Greater Western Sydney) Giants, being a more recent addition, & the one I would prefer, myself, being a Westie, through & through. One year the Swans won the AFL Grand Final, but the Storm won the NRL Grand Final, so Penrith Panthers have their work cut out for them to win next week.  I believe neither the GWS nor the Swans have done very well this year. Praise Grin   The NRL Storm used to be either South or North Melbourne, not sure which.

Which are the other non-Melbourne AFL teams? I know that there are the Fremantle Dockers, & the Brisbane Lions, plus an Adelaide team. The Cats are Geelong, aren't they? Confused   Which team do you barrack for? Isn't the AFL Grand final traditionally the Saturday before the NRL Grand Final? Or were the AFL able to continue on as normal, despite the COVID-19 lockdowns?

And the players wear those skimpy uniforms also. What is the official, with a white coat & black trousers is it that does those hand signals to indicate whether the goal got in?  Aerial ping-pong, "me 'ole gaffer" used to say. He followed Rugby Union. Grin  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 18, 2020 3:50 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

There are two New South Wales teams, the Sydney Swans

... Originally the South Melbourne Swans, that is, before Sydney poached them in the early 1980s. Tongue Brisbane, which already had its own team, the Brisbane Bears, did the same with the Fitzroy (suburb of Melbourne) Lions some years later. I was torn between outrage for the fact that another Melbourne-based team had been nicked, and relief for the fact that the now Brisbane Lions had stopped calling themselves the Bears while using a koala (i.e. not a bear) for their mascot... Grin  

Which are the other non-Melbourne AFL teams? I know that there are the Fremantle Dockers, & the Brisbane Lions, plus an Adelaide team. The Cats are Geelong, aren't they?

Two Adelaide teams, Adelaide Crows and Port Adelaide Power — plus two WA teams, West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers. And yes, the Cats are Geelong, which is a separate city from Melbourne (not very far away, but it's never been absorbed into Melbourne's official borders, unlike some former outlying towns that are now suburbs).

Which team do you barrack for?

Well, none of them avidly, to be honest — I'm actually not a huge fan of any sports. Whichever two teams are playing, I just pick the one I happen to like better. I did have a soft spot for the Freo Dockers once, but that had something to do with having more than a soft spot for a young guy who was a huge Dockers fan and sort of got me into watching the game with him. All right, I was more interested in him than in the football, although it eventually turned out he didn't feel the same way about me, but never mind... Giggle At least I ended up with a basic working knowledge of Aussie Rules footy and can sit through a game and understand basically what's happening, which is more than I can do with rugby!! (Or soccer, or cricket for that matter...)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2020 3:13 pm
Page 30 / 33
Share: