Share:
Notifications
Clear all

The Second Measure: Sewing, Yarnwork, and other Needlework

Page 17 / 19
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

One of my favorite nightgowns unfortunately was left too long in the laundry pile next to the tub and got mildew stains. Crying   Fortunately, I's only a tiny section so I'm planning on cutting out the bad part today and turning the rest of it into much needed handkerchiefs and rags.  I'm just debating on if I should try my jr sewing machine to hem the hankies or if I should just hem them by hand.  I have only made a hemline once before and that was by hand. (Though it turned out pretty good, not a professional level, but functional enough that I could continue using my work pants.) For today, though, I'll be happy if I just get all the pieces cut.

I'm still learning to sew, but it feels really good to be able to make minor repairs and upcycle old clothes that would otherwise be thrown out.  I'm hoping to eventually sew my own dresses at some point, but ya know... baby steps 😛 

Edit: Well I've decided to actually tear out the old seams, rather than cut out those sections of fabric.  The result should mean less wasted fabric, but it also means that I don't think I'll get to cutting out the pieces today... I have to use my tiny sheers for tearing out the seams as I have no seam ripper.  It's actually kind of relaxing, though... I've never really done it before and I was expecting it to be much more of a pain.  (Though, I suppose ripping out your own stitches cuz you made an error is totally different than ripping out someone else's stitches cuz you are reusing the fabric.)  Also, I enjoy untying knots, unlike most people, and it's not too dissimilar from knots untangling.  I just need to take frequent breaks as my eyes and fingers start to hurt.

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2020 9:21 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin
Posted by: @valiantarcher

fantasia, have you been able to finish your washcloth yet?

I did officially finish my washcloth. I suppose it's typical to stretch a bit due to the weight, but it came out in a kite shape instead of a square, which was driving me crazy. LOL Anyways, my elder daughter has adopted it as a rug in a homemade stuffed-animal house she's building....so that works. 😉 

I went ahead and ordered a large amount of yarn and the correct sized circular knitting needs to start on a super simple baby blanket using just the knit stitch. Let's see if I can knit in the correct direction this time! And I have until December to finish so hopefully I can do that.

On another note, my elder daughter REALLY wants to make a crochet stuffed animal. It is NOT complex, just two balls on top of each other with cut-out felt pieces glued on. How hard is that? And do you all have a pattern I can look up? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 26, 2020 7:58 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)

@fantasia  I'm also a backwards knitter!  (Let's call it a "default purler" - it sounds cooler.  My knits always end up as purls and my purls are knits.)  I usually find it more comfortable for me to just do it the way I do it then remember it's backwards when I go to finish it.  That's probably not the best way to learn though... and I've only completed a handful of knitting projects so my "advice" is from an inexperienced perspective 😛  Just think, you may already know how to purl!  Yay!

I got all the seams out of my nightgown yesterday!  The front panel was more damaged than I thought initially 🙁  What could be saved has already been converted to rags.  The back panel is stain free though, so I should have enough material to make between 4 and 6 hankies.  My goal today is to cut them out.  I have a lot of chores to do today, so not much time to sew.

Last night I splurged on a good deal I found on velvet 😛  I love velvet!  (My wedding dress was actually made (not by me) of crushed velvet.)  I really want to make velvet gowns for cosplay in the future, but for now I decided to make a fringed poncho based off a few tutorials I found online.  Of course I didn't take the width of the fabric into account when I purchased it, so if my calculations are correct, I should have 2 yards of roughly 28 inch wide fabric leftover.   But in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with leftover velvet 😛  (Of course, I could just make it a two layer poncho 😛  But then I wouldn't have leftover velvet 😛 )

I was wondering if anyone had any simple dress or skirt tutorials or patterns they could recommend for a beginner?  (Especially one that doesn't require a sewing machine.  My machine only does back stitches (unless it's a running stitch, I don't recall), from what I can tell.  I would prefer something that doesn't hug the stomach (I'm a fan of the empire waistline, for example).  Thanks in advance!

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 27, 2020 11:43 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

@wolfloversk, my sister-in-law also knits backwards. Must be a thing. Giggle  

So here's a question for you all. The pattern I'm getting ready to do requires two ends of the same ball of yarn. I know this is a beginner question, but do I need to roll a ball like what this guy does in this video? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2020 8:36 am
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Well, if you really want to wind up a ball of yarn that way, you can. It certainly cuts down on the rolling around.

But if you have a skein of something like Red Heart or other commercial brands, they should have both ends accessible as-is. One is usually loose or tucked into an end of the skein and pulls from the outside of the skein. The other will usually be sticking out from the end of the skein and pulls from the center. The one problem you may run into pulling from this end is that sometimes the yarn gets tangled into knots along the way. 

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 28, 2020 9:30 am
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @fantasia

On another note, my elder daughter REALLY wants to make a crochet stuffed animal. It is NOT complex, just two balls on top of each other with cut-out felt pieces glued on. How hard is that? And do you all have a pattern I can look up? 

I'd say that sounds fairly simple! I found directions on wikihow for a crocheted ball with nice pictures and instructions.

ooooh, @wolfloversk, your velvet poncho sounds scrumptious! I think 18th century petticoats are about as simple as it gets for a skirt, and I know they're easy to handsew because I've made three. My sister and I get compliments when we wear ours with modern tops and jackets. 🙂

Speaking of handsewing, my sister came home with the fabric to make a shirt for my brother to wear while blacksmithing, and so that's going on the to-do list. 

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 29, 2020 8:29 pm
aileth
(@aileth)
Member Moderator

Speaking of handsewing also Tongue I've been whipping the ends of carpet.  It is a roll of carpetting about 26 inches wide, with a rubberized backing.  It's to protect our hardwood floor, and means that we can finally (finally!) pull up the cardboard that has been plaguing me for the last while.  There will be at least five separate pieces, hence ten ends to stitch.  We did think of melting the ends, but worried that such a process might create lumps.  Almost wish we had tried.

Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 11:46 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I have finished the main pieces of my cardigan (=cardigan sweater).  Last night I ironed them gently, and laid them flat. Today I will sew the main seams and begin knitting the front bands. Once they are done and attached, I have to pick up the stitches for the neckband, and knit that, and then I will only have the tidying up to do (sewing in the ends where I joined in a new ball).

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2020 6:02 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

*high-fives* @wolfloversk - I like untangling things too! Giggle How are your handkerchiefs coming?

Hurrah for finishing the washcloth, @fantasia! Grin Ha, yeah, don't expect your first project or two to come out quite right; I do much better now, but washclothes do tend to be uneven for me - and it took a while for me to figure out what my usual "gauge" was while knitting.

@mel, I am impressed by your handsewing of petticoats. Giggle I have been using my machine for stuff that could probably be handsewn just as well - and without the uneven stitches my machine is currently doing (I've tried resetting tension but it doesn't seem to fix anything Tongue ).

aileth, your carpet project sounds intimidating! All the best with it!

coracle, hurrah for progress on your cardigan!

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 31, 2020 12:34 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
Posted by: @valiantarcher

How are your handkerchiefs coming?

Slowly Giggle    I got a bit distracted with doctor's appointments... I just traced the pattern on my fabric only to remember I lent my scissors to a family member that is currently asleep Blush    But hopefully I will have them cut out later today.  I have enough material to make 6 small handkerchiefs.  They will be smaller than what's usually on the market, but I actually prefer the tiny ones.  I made an 8.5 inch square pattern, so once they are hemmed they should be between 7.5 and 8 square inches (depending on how well I hem Tongue ).

In other news I got all the material I need to make my poncho.  I might wait until we build the sewing table my in-laws gave me for my birthday... assuming we can do so soon... because I literally have no other available table at the moment.  (I had to use a cardboard box for a flat surface to trace out the hankies, but it will be much too small for the poncho.)

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 8, 2020 12:25 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

@wolfloversk, completely understandable. Giggle I hope you're able to get them all cut out today! I also hope you can get that sewing table built soon - having a good place set up for sewing (or other crafting) helps a lot (and it means you don't use the floor which is mostly what I've been reduced to Blush ).

I am currently in the process of handsewing that sunbonnet, as all the sewing machines in the household are having tension issues. Tongue   @mel, my respect for your handsewing those petticoats is growing. Giggle It's not that bad since it's a small thing, but it's not also as fast as I would like.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 8, 2020 12:59 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Gambling that my sister will not come on here and see this post as she hasn't even transferred her account over... Tongue  

She's expecting her first baby and I'm in the process of knitting a baby blanket for her. It's this pattern here....
https://www.bhookedcrochet.com/2018/10/28/easy-knit-baby-blanket/
I finished the first fifth last night and moved from one color to a blend of the first two. Smile This is kind of fun but I wish it wasn't so hard on my eyes. They're pretty sore this morning. I thought maybe after a while I'd get a hang of just the rhythm and not really have to look at it anymore, but this yard is so fuzzy that if I DON'T look at it, the needle goes through the middle of a thread. Waiting  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2020 9:20 am
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus

@fantasia Wow! That's a cool-looking blanket. The best of luck to you on finishing it! I've not knit with two strands at once before, aside from double-knitting some pot holders a few Christmases back, but that's a little bit of a different technique.

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 13, 2020 6:57 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)

Hug fantasia. I hope the knitting gets easier on your eyes. It's also still possible that you will be able to knit without really looking with this pattern/yarn; hopefully that happens! But, even, if not - the yarn sounds very soft and perfect for the blanket?

Well, I have finished the sunbonnet. Tongue It took a lot longer than I anticipated, and I found the tutorial I used far more complicated than I think it should've been (or than others appear to have found it). My main concern now is that it holds up to years of playing, and that it's not humongous for the intended recipient (it is definitely on the large side, which is okay as she will grow into it - but I'd like her to be able to use and enjoy it now, as it's gift).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 15, 2020 9:37 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I am almost 2/5 done with the baby blanket. About.... 5 more rows to go? Maybe six. But I am almost out of lavender yarn. I knew this was the risk for making it a good deal wider than the pattern called for. Nail biting We'll see if we make it!

ETA: Made it! I have a fair bit of lavender to spare. Smile Now I'm onto the middle section of (on mine) just brown. I WILL need to order another brown yarn. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 5, 2020 8:22 pm
Page 17 / 19
Share: