Notifications
Clear all

The Chosen

Page 2 / 6
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut
Posted by: @fantasia .

@Glenwit and @gracepevensie15, how far along are you?

Episode 8 tonight!

"Get used to different"

*chills*

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2021 1:39 pm
GracePevensie15
(@gracepevensie15)
Member Friend of NarniaWeb

@fantasia I finally caught up! I just watched S2 E2 last night. I had no idea that they were premiering E3 last night or else I would have carved out some more time to watch it. Overall, this show is blowing my mind. It’s SO good!

Life is short, live it well ♥️

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 14, 2021 2:04 pm
fantasia liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

We managed to squeak in Season 1, episode 2 yesterday between family video chats. Smile These are the scenes that really stood out in my mind:

Spoiler
Spoiler

*the Shabbat shown from 900+BC at the beginning
*Nicodemus' encounter with the now-redeemed Mary
*the interwoven Shabbats in the homes of 'Nico', Mary (particularly when Jesus unexpectedly shows up), and Peter.

At this point, I am still finding Peter's character quite annoying. Tongue Mainly because I have no idea what's going on there. Giggle I guess I just need patience. Wink

Thus far, I appreciate how Jonathan Roumie portrays Jesus—the most crucial character in all history. I can't imagine the weight of what Jonathan is experiencing; the massive responsibility of this.

I do like that Dan Haseltine (Jars of Clay) is one of the main composers in this series, as we have appreciated his music for years.

Hopefully next Sunday will be episode 3. Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 19, 2021 9:26 am
fantasia liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Brett McCracken first wrote this article on "Four Reasons Why The Chosen Works" around a year ago now, but I wanted to post the link here. Interesting read! https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/four-reasons-chosen-works/

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 6:48 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

@jo, Maybe season 2 is going to, in Fantasia's words, throw him under a bus, but I really liked Peter's character in season 1. In the Bible, after the miracle of the fish, Peter told Jesus to leave him because he was a sinner, but we're never told what he did that was so sinful. Since the show's about speculating on the backstories and personalities of the disciples, it makes sense to me for them to get into that. 

This post was modified 3 years ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 7:54 am
johobbit liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Re: Brett McCracken's article, it was accurate when he wrote it, but the Chosen production people have opted to do seven seasons instead of eight, just FYI. Smile  

There's a push from us commoners to continue on with Acts/church history afterwards and I think they may be considering it. On the other hand, everyone except Apostle John is martyred soooo..... Tongue But it'd be cool to see Thomas go to India and Andrew go to Asia, etc etc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 21, 2021 8:48 am
johobbit
(@jo)

Ahh, good, okay, fantasia.

I would love to see Jenkins and crew continue on with Acts/church history. That would be fascinating!

Thanks for that, @col-klink. This does make sense, to be sure, but I'm having trouble getting into his character for some reason. Hoping that will improve as Peter's narrative progresses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 21, 2021 10:07 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

For those of you who have seen S2:E3 - Matthew 4:24, I have a question for you all. Don't read the following spoilers if you haven't seen this episode.... 😉 

Spoiler
Do you think Jesus would have been that physically drained after a full day of healing people? We're talking about a guy who has done physical carpentry work  his whole life, who went to the desert for 40 days and 40 nights without food, who spends all of his time (at this point) walking everywhere. I get that the filmmakers were trying to make a point at the end of the episode, and I admit it was quite impactful! But I question whether or not it was accurate. 
Though on the other hand, there are multiple mentions in the Bible of Jesus being very tired and escaping somewhere to rest, most notably on the boat in the Sea of Galilee in the middle of the storm.
What do you all think?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 30, 2021 8:10 am
johobbit
(@jo)

We watched episode 3 of Season 1 last Sunday ("Jesus Loves the Little Children"), and thought it really good. I teared up when Jesus gave Abigail His reason for being there.

Spoiler
Spoiler
He quoted that wonderful passage from Isaiah 61, first few verses. I also became teary when the children were quoting the Shema. To see Jesus' reaction to that was ... wow.
What a precious episode!

I intentionally read your Spoiler, @fantasia, even though I have not yet begun Season 2. Bats eyes

Spoiler
Spoiler
I think that Jesus did become weary. As you mentioned, the Bible mentions Him being tired and needing breaks. While he was 100% divine, He was also 100% human. That totally boggles the mind, but I believe he would have been weary after a full day of healing people. After all, being worn out isn't a sin.
And now, I am quite curious to see the episode to which you're referring. Giggle

Aiming to watch episode 4 this Sunday! Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 30, 2021 2:04 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Glad you liked that episode, Jo. I think it remains my favorite so far.

Spoiler
Abigail
I thought it was great that Jesus took time from his busy schedule to make that special gift for Abigail, along with the note reminding her that he came for the poor as well. Also, watch for Abigail and Joshua to appear in a later episode

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 1, 2021 11:49 am
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Oooh yes, @stargazer. I forgot to mention that sweet scene (your Spoiler). The conclusion of episode 3 was very meaningful. Glad to hear those two are going to come in to a future episode. Smile  

We saw episode 4, Season 1 yesterday. I am gradually softening towards Peter, I must admit.

Spoiler
Spoiler
The abundant catch of fish at Jesus' words and Peter's falling down in humble worship of the Lamb of God greatly moved me. I am intrigued with Nicodemus' storyline, and recognize where it is leading, but still find these scenes quite interesting. Plus I think the pet name, "Nico" is fun. Giggle And Matthew I find quite endearing, no doubt about that. I can hardly wait until Jesus calls him to "Follow Me"!

Interesting aside: either John or James (I am not yet sure which one is which, although I think it's John) looks very much like a close friend of one of our sons, whose name is also John. Giggle That's kind of cool. Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2021 10:29 am
Col Klink liked
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Just as an fyi Jo, the character of James, son of Zebedee, is recast halfway through Season one.  Not sure why, but it threw me the first time I watched the show. And then they recast him again for Season two, but that was because the actor who finished out Season one had a "family emergency" and couldn't return for Season two. Thankfully all of the other actors have remained consistent. 

And as far as Peter is concerned

Spoiler
I wondered if you'd like him better after episode 4. But I'll warn you he doesn't magically and immediately improve LOL.

I rewatched Season 1 episodes 2&3 over the weekend and enjoyed them all over again. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 3, 2021 11:45 am
johobbit
(@jo)
Spoiler
spoiler
Posted by: @fantasia

I wondered if you'd like him better after episode 4. But I'll warn you he doesn't magically and immediately improve LOL.

^ Thanks! And I am totally okay with that, otherwise it would not at all be realistic. Giggle  

Good to know about James, thanks for the heads up there. Sad and hard for him, though.

Yes! I have no doubt we will want to start reviewing the episodes we have seen not too far down the road. Smile  

Edit: Another bit I must add is how much I appreciate Zebedee. His reaction to Jesus calling his two sons is great!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 3, 2021 12:15 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

We made time to view Season 1, episode 5 on Saturday; episode 6 on Sunday. Thankfully they are not too long, so they can be tucked nicely in between other activities of the day.

I don't think there is anything too spoilerish below.

Episode 5: I really appreciate how Nicodemus' storyline is building! I can hardly wait for episode 7 when things, erm, develop more. Good to meet Thomas and Ramah! There were a few lines from characters when we had to put the episode on pause to discuss right then and there: they were so potent. At the end, the joy at the wedding was palpable!

Episode 6: Jesus' meeting with the leper brought me to tears. It was a brief scene, but really powerful and poignant, as the leper expressed his deep need, hence showing Jesus' depth of compassion . Beautiful. It was cool how most of the main characters we have already met converged in this episode as they were, in one way or another, compelled to come to the house to hear Jesus talk. The healing of the paralyzed man was beautiful. Loved the support and faith of his friends who brought him.

Have I said before how much I am drawn to Matthew?! Wink And it was good to briefly see Abigail and Joshua again!

Zebedee's wife, Salome, seems quite star-struck with Jesus (as in fan-girly Eyebrow ). No doubt this is leading to the point where she later boldly and foolishly asks if her sons can sit by Christ's sides in His kingdom, for which Jesus calls them to task, and which causes division amongst the other disciples.

Episode 7 Grin this coming Sunday!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 10, 2021 8:38 am
stargazer liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

One thing that nobody has raised is that this looks to be the modern equivalent of the wonderful Biblical historical novels that I enjoyed in my twenties.  They will have been written and published in the 1950s and 60s, I think, perhaps as a follow-on from the massive boom in Hollywood Bible epics.

One was The Big Fisherman (which endeared Peter to me forever),  another How Far To Bethlehem (leading up to the birth of Jesus).

[I wonder whether the writers of The Chosen intend to publish books of the stories, perhaps with a disclaimer across the front saying 'This is not the Bible', or 'Read the Bible for the true story'].

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 11, 2021 2:16 pm
Page 2 / 6
Share: