Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Special Prolonged Feature: LOST – "The End"

Page 1 / 28
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Gather round, all you LOST fans! Ready or not, the 6th and final season is upon us, with a one-hour recap preceding the two-hour premiere set to air in the US next Tuesday.

Unlike previous seasons, ABC is keeping a tight lid on teasers for this one, leaving fans to speculate on how all the mysteries may be resolved.

This is the place to talk about characters, plotlines, places, and remaining questions fans are still asking (like “What’s up with the statue? Who is Jacob? How did the Black Rock get to its final resting place? And, Will the Smoke Monster get a chance to find true happiness?” ;)) )

Please remember to use spoiler boxes when discussing those new revelations – and also when mentioning significant events from past seasons. After all, there are newer fans among us who may not have seen all the previous episodes, and it’s no fun to find out prematurely that

Spoiler
a character you like dies.

Spoiler boxes are created by typing [*spoiler]new info here[*/spoiler] but don’t include the * You can also confirm that your spoilers work correctly by clicking the “Preview” button before posting.

New to LOST? No worries! Jump right in, and feel free to discuss or ask about previous seasons.

Useful resources (spoilers abound at each!) include the Lost page on the ABC website itself – where past episodes can be viewed.

There are also a number of fan-based sites and wiki sites (Lostpedia is one example) that also offer a lot of information on the show.

Lastly, here’s a fascinating article with some extensive and detailed hypothesizing on what it all means and how it’ll all end (more spoilers!). Thanks to Warrior 4 Jesus for linking this in the Television Discussion Thread.

So fasten your seatbelts, fire up your VCR or DVR, and bring on the snacks for the remaining 18 hours of LOST.

(An administrative note: this Special Feature will run for the first couple weeks of the season, and then be closed and the discussion redirected to the Television thread. It’ll be reopened later this spring for the series finale).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Topic starter Posted : January 29, 2010 4:23 am
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)
Member Moderator Emeritus

Hurray!!! :D Can you tell, I'm extremely excited about the final season! :P

I don't have tooo many thoughts right now, but here are a few I thought of after doing some Lost "studying" the other night in prep for the new season.

Spoiler
I'm still convinced that Juliet is pregant. I was rewatching the last episode a few days ago, manged to catch the end of it on TV. While I didn't see the part where Juliet and Sawyer talk to Rose and Bernard, I remember it pretty clearly. Isn't there a moment where Juliet rests her hand on her belly? And I seem to recall Rose giving her a few "knowing looks". Also, and I only rewatched part of it so I may be totally off and not remember correctly, but then when they're going to go blow everything up, and Juliet and Sawyer both want it NOT to be blown up and then Juliet changes her mind...I couldn't help wondering if maybe she realized that if she had a baby on the island it might not survive/would be bad in general, bringing a baby into that kind of crazyness. So she thougth the only way to fix it would be to make it as though nothing had ever happened (blow everything up), hence she changes her mind and then Sawyer goes beserk. And after Sawyer and Jack fight, Juliet and Sawyer are just off talking, I guess, cause when Jack (I think...) goes to blow everything up, he walks past them and it looks like they've been talking, and I just thought Sawyer looked...different, somehow, like he "understood". So maybe Juliet explained she was pregant and he agreed with her that it was a horrible idea to bring a baby into this world.

Whew! That was long. And also about Juliet...

Spoiler
I'd read in SEVERAL places on blogs and stuff that people didn't think that the flashback to when Juliet was a girl was very accurate to the time it was supposed to be in (70's or something). At the time, I disagreed with them, but when I was rewatching it I paid closer attention. Unless the Lost producers epically failed with making the flashback "period appropriate", there is NO WAY that's in the 70's, or whever. The clothes Juliet and her sister are wearing are modern. Her sister is wearing I think a hoodie? I think one theory of some blogger was that Juliet was mixed up in time-travel when she was younger, or something...

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : January 29, 2010 4:47 am
ramagut
(@ramagut)

I haven't even had a chance to watch the 5th season on DVD; just caught episodes here and there. And I'm more lost than ever! LOST was definitely the right name of this show!

I need to get to watching before the new season starts!

Love God, love people

Posted : January 29, 2010 11:00 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Stargazer, thanks for creating such a great Special Feature and for the kudos. :)

Season 6 Sneak Peek:
The first? 4 minutes of LOST Season 6, episode 1: LA X can be found at the LOST website: DARK UFO.
No huge reveals as such, but there's a bit more clarity as to what happened. Although, in the tradition of LOST, more questions are posed than answered. I have no self-control. If you don't either, here's the link.

http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... z0e5tdXKBZ

Valiant Lucy, My first thought when watching the finale was that the scene just had some very sloppy art direction, but since that sort of stuff is generally painstakingly replicated for the intended time period, your theories makes much more sense.

Here's a very interesting (and very long) interview with main LOST writers, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse (these guys are basically celebrities).
In three parts:

Part One:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... rview.html

Part Two:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... e-abc.html

and finally Part Three:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... rview.html

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : January 29, 2010 4:03 pm
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

I need to get to watching before the new season starts!

My goodness...you have only a few more days to squeeze the whole season in! If you're in the US you can go to the ABC website and watch episodes (in HD no less) for free, but expect lots of commercials. I have the Crest tooth strip commercial jingle memorized now ;)).

I'm down to just the season finale of Season 5 now. I'm working the whole weekend but fortunately I'll have all of Monday to give to it. Then I'll get to watch it Tuesday night. Woot!

PS: VL, your avatar isn't Keira Knightly anymore as it's always been (at least as long as I've been here). You feeling ok? *checks your forehead for temperature*

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : January 29, 2010 6:44 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Australia finally has an air date for LOST Season 6: February 10, 2009 on 7TWO. A one-hour special will precede the two hour premiere. I'm a bit annoyed that I won't be able to discuss the series at the same time as you guys, but I'm glad we finally have a release date. I'll just have to be careful about being spoiled.
Not all of us live in the US. Please make sure anything related to Season 6 is written with spoiler-tags.

According to TVShowsOnDVD.com LOST Season 6 will come to DVD/BluRay on August 24, 2010 (or at least in the US).
Lost - The Complete Collection will also be available the same day (37 standard DVD's + 1 bonus DVD or 36 BluRay + 1 bonus). It's surprising (but very good) that we're getting the final season so soon!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/13279

I wish there were more DVDs of special features but then again, I would probably not be satisfied with even that. Still, the special features that we know of sound delicious. I'm glad I've waited.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : January 29, 2010 7:58 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

*must...resist...temptation to watch the first bit of season 6* ;)

ramagut, I can certainly understand how seeing a few random episodes from season 5 would be confusing! In my opinion it's one of the most complex plotlines I've seen in a TV show in quite some time - and consequently one of my favorites.

I liked this bit from the article Warrior originally linked (big season 5 spoiler):

Spoiler
"It's revealed that Eloise Hawking raised her son Daniel Faraday to become a physics genius in order to brainstorm a way to save himself from his predestined fate of being murdered in the past by her own hand. (Have we ever properly applauded the twisted genius of that story line?)"

Spoiler
This really was pretty clever - but isn't it possible that instead of preventing that event she actually caused it by pushing Daniel into the physical sciences? If he'd become a master pianist, for example - in "The Variable" we see a young Daniel playing the piano - it's unlikely he'd have grown up to travel to the Island to study the mysteries of the universe. One of those delightful time-travel paradox thingies.

You have to wait until February 10, Warrior? Sorry to hear that. This thread should be open long enough for you to provide your thoughts upon seeing the season premiere.

A 37-disc set, eh? I'm curious as to what those exclusive extra features might be.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Topic starter Posted : January 30, 2010 4:10 pm
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Ragamut, LOST is definitely one of those series that can't be picked up just anywhere and watched. It's so complex in character and is one continuous narrative. Season 5 was especially confusing but I enjoyed it very much.

Stargazer, good on you for resisting the temptation to watch the sneak peak of Season 6. Some naughty sod has posted the Season 6 premiere in full from the Sunset Beach showing on DARK UFO. I've heard the picture quality is only average and the audio is bad. I'm not that desperate! I want to see the premiere in high-quality.

Yes, the 37-disc set is just the normal separate seasons combined. But the bonus disc sounds promising (but only 2 hours?) :((.

Thanks for sympathising with me, in regards to the late Australian premiere. ;) I think I'll have to make note of the US air dates and make sure I don't visit any LOST discussion threads or websites until the episode has been screened here.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : January 30, 2010 11:31 pm
Valiant_Lucy
(@valiant_lucy)

AHHHH! I just watched that first 6 minutes, Warrior. SO INTERESTING!
But I won't post my thoughts on it here. ;) So those who don't want to watch it can avoid temptation :P

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe

Posted : January 31, 2010 6:51 am
Kate
 Kate
(@kate)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I really enjoy the show Lost, but for some reason have never felt that tempted to theorize and analyze it to find the answers to the questions. I do, however, really enjoy reading the theories of the members here. Val, your theories are incredibly interesting. I remember the

Spoiler
time that Juliet puts her hand on her stomach. I remember feeling confused and then I promptly dismissed it. But your theory makes a lot of sense.

I saw that someone had linked the first few minutes of the premier, but it had a watermark on it and I wanted to watch it in high quality. I think I'll just wait until Wednesday to watch it (since I'm busy Tuesday evening).

Posted : January 31, 2010 9:44 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Spoilers = Season 6 Promo with all new footage - if this doesn't get you pumped about the final season, I don't know what will.
http://spoilerslost.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... z0eFijvSkE

My Season 5 Theories foreshadowing moments in Season 6: - I don't know if anything here is new but I've delved deep.

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : January 31, 2010 1:07 pm
Bookwyrm
(@bookwyrm)
NarniaWeb Guru

Just finished watching Namaste. I had to stop and rewatch

Spoiler
Sun hitting Ben in the head with the paddle twice. It was too awesome to not rewatch. ;)) Also enjoyed seeing Jack forced to be a janitor. :D

Posted : January 31, 2010 8:15 pm
7chronicles
(@7chronicles)
NarniaWeb Guru

Nearly Finished re-watching the first season, I can't wait for tomorrow it's going to be so awesome. Me and my sister watched the promo with new footage in it like, four or five times straight last night analyzing every little detail (brought back memories of analyzing very detail of the Narnia trailers ;) ) I'm so exited and nervous and sad that it's ending, but can't wait to get (hopefully) all of the answers revealed :D

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis

Posted : February 1, 2010 4:42 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I should rewatch the first season...I neglected it in my recent rewatch so I could finish before season 6 starts.

"Namaste" was a good episode, Bookwyrm. It has an example of the detail the creators/writers/etc are paying to the creation of their world:

Spoiler
While Lost is steeped in a lot of real-world literature, music, etc, they also created a late 60s-early 70s band called Geronimo Jackson, which provides the catchy tune "Dharma Lady" that plays as the newcomers arrive at the Barracks in the past. It's oh, so 70s. ;))

References to this group appear in other episodes as well; at one point Charlie - a musical expert - mentioned he'd never heard of them; a poster appears in the Barracks cafeteria, etc. (a list is in the Jackson entry linked above). I think the series' people had too much fun seeding this references here and there. ;))

Topic starter Posted : February 1, 2010 7:05 am
Warrior 4 Jesus
(@warrior-4-jesus)
NarniaWeb Fanatic

All the way back in mid-2007, Vozzek69 (from DarkUFO) had some great LOST theories. This guy is amazing - quality theorising pre-Seasons 4 and 5! The Whispers part of the theory is especially interesting and very possible (would be an awesome conclusion too). Have a good read.

http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2007/06/voz ... thing.html

Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11

Posted : February 1, 2010 2:42 pm
Page 1 / 28
Share: