Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Save the Date

Page 7 / 9
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It was 46 years ago today that "the gales of November came early," and the Edmund Fitzgerald was lost in Lake Superior with all hands.

The Split Rock Lighthouse on the North Shore of Lake Superior has an annual memorial and lighting ceremony (as do other places on the Great Lakes). We heard about the sinking here before the famous song came out, as the iron ore it was carrying originally came from mines in northern Minnesota.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 12:40 pm
Narnian78 liked
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

In a few hours it will be Armistice Day in Europe. 

It commemorates the ending of the Great War, at 11 am on the 11th day of the 11th month. 

Sadly, the War to End All Wars didn't. 

My parents grew up in the shadow of that war, and one if my great-uncles died in it.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 10, 2021 1:00 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Waaay back on this date (Dec. 21) in 1968, Apollo 8 lifted off on the first manned flight to the moon. Their Christmas Eve message from lunar orbit was a message of peace and hope to a world filled with strife.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 21, 2021 8:29 pm
fantasia, Narnian78, johobbit and 2 people liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@stargazer 

I remember watching Apollo 8 on TV and when the astronauts read from the book of Genesis.  It was just as interesting as the Apollo 11 space flight about six months later.  It’s amazing how much time has passed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 22, 2021 12:07 pm
johobbit liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

On this date (April 12) in 1961, Yuri Gagarin became the first person to orbit the earth.

On the same date 20 years later, the first shuttle mission was launched.

During this week in 1970, Apollo 13 was on its way to the moon. It will be 52 years ago tomorrow that Jim Lovell's "Houston, we've had a problem" would indicate a serious explosion in the service module.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2022 1:52 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

On this date in 1961 (May 5), Alan Shepherd became the first American in space.  His suborbital flight came about 3 weeks after the Soviet Union's Gagarin orbited the earth.

Locally, one of the worst tornado outbreaks in Minnesota occurred May 5-6, 1965. 13 tornadoes struck the state, including six that hit the Twin Cities (including two F4 twisters that hit the northern suburb of Fridley).

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 5, 2022 9:46 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@stargazer I remember John Glenn, some news when I was in my first years of school. Somehow I didn't know he wasn't the first American "spaceman".

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2022 12:57 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

I remember that someone brought a black and white TV set for us to watch John Glenn’s space flight when I was in the second grade. Glenn wasn’t the first man in space, but he was one of the pioneers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2022 3:34 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

John Glenn was the first American to orbit the earth. (He was the third American and fifth person overall to go to space). I have vague  memories of listening to it on the radio and hearing "Godspeed John Glenn" at launch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 6, 2022 1:50 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

It's national coffee day in United States and Canada! Coffee ☕ I will be celebrating with multiple cups of one of my favorite dark roasts. Grin  

Also international coffee day is October 1, it's a good week to drink a lot of coffee. Giggle  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2022 8:31 am
fantasia liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

What if one does not care for coffee (or pretty much any hot drink, for that matter)? Shocked LOL (That'd be me, although I adore the smell. Giggle ) Seriously, SA, enjoy your favourite roast(s) over the next week! Grin  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 29, 2022 11:42 am
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@jo And I can't stand the smell OR taste of coffee, so I don't know where this leaves me! Tongue Is there a National Tea Day?? I never much liked tea — as in black tea (I did drink herbals) — until I moved to England and found that, just as the stereotype suggests, nearly everyone here drinks it. And it's such a central part of social interactions — and I was getting so embarrassed at saying "no" every time it was offered — that I decided "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"... So I tried Earl Grey tea, which is a popular mild-tasting Chinese-style tea with a bit of citrus, and found I liked it. Now I drink it regularly! (It was also reportedly the favourite of our late Queen Elizabeth II, so I figure I'm in good company — and apparently she even drank it the same way I do, with no milk or sugar. But funnily enough, even when I was in Windsor, she never did invite me over for a cuppa. Grin )

And of course, in the immortal words of C.S. Lewis: "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." Thumbs up  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2022 6:58 am
johobbit liked
coracle
(@coracle)

Not just for one day, but October is Dwarfism Awareness Month.  People in the dwarfism community try to use this Month to help others understand our various needs and challenges  as well as the fact that we have ordinary lives  and achieve almost everything they do - but sometimes in a different way. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2022 8:46 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Very cool, @coracle! Smile  

Is "dwarfism" still a widely acceptable term, by the way, or is it controversial these days — if you don't mind me asking? I remember some years ago there was quite a debate about it and other such terminology... if there is any call for a better term, do you think "Hobbitism" would do? Wink Thumbs up Hug   (Only joking, of course, with the utmost respect.)

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2022 11:11 pm
johobbit liked
coracle
(@coracle)

@courtenay thank you for asking that question. (I personally tend to think of myself as a hobbit)

Most Little People have some form of dwarfism, and some say "I have dwarfism", others say "I am a dwarf". (plural: dwarfs, not the one in Middle Earth)  Others don't want a label.  Never use the 'm-word' - explain to others that it is a really insulting term.

People of short stature are people first of all. Many prefer to be called just their name, to be given equal opportunity and respect, and to be able to access all parts of their lives independently.  Where size, reach or disability (depending on how each person's condition affects his or her body) needs assistance, we have the right to support or modifications.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 2, 2022 11:52 pm
Page 7 / 9
Share: