Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Favorite Soundtracks, Part III: The Return

Page 1 / 5
PrinceCor004
(@princecor004)
NarniaWeb Guru

Well, tis time again for a thread to discuss everyones favorite musical sub-genre: Soundtracks! :D ;))

Whether it be the latest film score, TV show soundtrack, video game music or a Broadway musical, if it's a soundtrack album... then discuss it here! Regular forum rules apply, as usual. ;)

So.... discuss away! :-bd

This thread is Mod approved

Edit:

Just realized it would probably be good to actually help start a conversation.... :p Anyway, a couple of recent scores from this year that I've been really enjoying are Priest and Super 8 by Christopher Young and Michael Giacchino, respectively. :)

Priest is a great Gothic action score taking the overblown Gothic sound of Young's Hellraiser scores and mixing it with a Hans Zimmer influenced action sensibilities. The end result is all pure Chris Young, though.

Super 8 is more of a throwback score to the late 70's/early 80's John Williams music for Steven Spielberg films. It's a good, fun purely orchestral score and has that classic "wow" factor of the classics of John Williams and James Horner. :D
-----------

In more recent news, the scores to Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Patrick Doyle) and the Conan the Barbarian (Tyler Bates) "re-imagining" have been released. I think Shadowlander and I can agree that there is no topping the Basil Poledouris original for Conan, and as can be expected, the new score falls flat.

Sooo, has anyone else heard these recent score/seen there respective films? Any thoughts on them? :)

Avvie by the great Djaq!

http://bennettsreviews.blogspot.com/

^ Short tribute to James Horner (1953-2015)

Topic starter Posted : August 18, 2011 1:43 pm
wolfloversk
(@wolfloversk)
The Wandering, Wild & Welcoming Winged Wolf Hospitality Committee

Well my absolute favorite is Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, by Hans Zimmer and Bryan Adams. It does a good job of blending the songs, melodies, and the western themes. My sole complaint is that even the extended version omits some of the best tracks in the movie. (The fire, river, and leap sequences). Also "Fallen Rain" is essentially the end of "Young Hearts" (another part they skipped- the Calvary Attack) I believe however the latter is only included in the extended track, so I can forgive them for that, and I actually like that the first part of "Young Hearts uses the music to "Brother's Under the Sun" with some slight changes, it makes it nice to listen to one right after the other. However I'd rate it 4.5/5 (It'd be 5/5 without those omissions).

Here's a nice medley: "Run Free"

And my favorite song off the album: "Brothers Under the Sun"

Other favorites include Narnia and JP (you probably guessed), Balto, Tron: Legacy (I enjoyed your review by the way Cor), and the tracks for the videogame WolfQuest

(Edited)

"The mountains are calling and I must go, and I will work on while I can, studying incessantly." -John Muir
"Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Posted : August 18, 2011 8:06 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I have been listening to the "How To Train Your Dragon" soundtrack a lot lately and it's really addicting :D :D
and The Water Horse soundtrack has a very similar kind of theme as the "How To Train Your Dragon" soundtrack, so I listened to them back to back and wow! that was epic! and then I listened to the "Soul Surfer" soundtrack after that and it was beautiful :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : August 19, 2011 4:27 am
De_De
(@de_de)
NarniaWeb Guru

And my favorite song off the album: "Brothers Under the Sun"

Brothers Under The Sun is my favorite too! I can listen to it over and over... I really like Sound the Bugle, it really helped me once.
I have been listening to the Narnia tracks (duh :p). I also like the Step Up soundtrack :)

Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club

Posted : August 20, 2011 4:06 am
Lion's Emblem
(@lions-emblem)
NarniaWeb Guru

I can't actually say that I have an absolute favorite soundtack. I'm kinda odd in the sense that I'll only like a couple to a handful of songs from a particular score, not necessarily the whole thing. Lately though, I've been listening to the Sucker Punch soundtrack which is another oddity because I tend to prefer instrumental pieces over the vocals. Only a fan of a few tracks though. I didn't find out until recently that all of the tracks are actually "remixes" of real songs 8-} (what can I say, music is not my forte). I would have had no idea though. I just assumed that all the songs (except for "Sweet Dreams" and "I Want it All", I did know those at least) were written for the film since they tie in with the characters and their stories so well. Who knew.

Favorite soundtracks and tracks:

1. Narnia, obviously: "Only the Beginning of the Adventure" for LWW, "Raid on the Castle" for PC, and "Time to Go Home" for VDT.
2. Tin Man: "Central City", "The Unwanted", and "The Maze".
3. Red Cliff: "Outroduction of Legend", "Shadow of the Evanescence", and the "Main Theme" (sad, I love it and yet, at the moment, I cannot recall its actual name :| ).
4. The Incredibles: "The Incredits", "Marital Rescue", "Lithe or Death", and "Missle Lock".
5. Wicked: "What is this Feeling?", "Defying Gravity", and "For Good".
6. Sucker Punch: "Where is my Mind?", "Asleep", and "White Rabbit".

Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan

Posted : August 20, 2011 6:45 pm
Lady Haleth
(@lady-haleth)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I don't listen to a whole lot of soundtracks, but my favorite overall is probably the Tangled soundtrack, particularly "I've Got A Dream", "Kingdom Dance", and of course "I See the Light."
I also love the song "To the Sky," from the soundtrack to Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.
I don't remember whether Switchfoot's "This is Home" was on Prince Caspian's soundtrack or not, but I liked it.
I remember I had to play music from The Incredibles at one of my band's concerts. We also did songs from the Enchanted soundtrack at one point. I liked those. :)

The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot

Posted : August 22, 2011 4:46 am
outlier
(@outlier)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I'm a sucker for Michael Giacchino's scores I think he's most known for the new Mission Impossible, some Pixar, and JJ Abrams movies. My favorite three of his would probably have to be Up, The Incredibles, and the new Star Trek. Aside from those, I enjoy the Narnia, LotR, and Star Wars scores off the top of my head. As for soundtracks, most recently I've been listening to the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack.

Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club

Posted : August 22, 2011 6:42 am
Gathmandais
(@gathmandais)
NarniaWeb Nut

I recently watched Tron: Legacy and I really like the soundtrack (by Daft Punk). It was the first movies I've seen that's soundtrack is almost wholly electronic/techno. Anyway, yeah, I thought it was cool.

NW twin to Aravis_Tarkheena011.
Brother to Weirdo.
A fanatic Sparrow.

Posted : August 22, 2011 7:28 am
Ithilwen
(@ithilwen)
NarniaWeb Zealot

One of my absolute favorite soundtracks is The Two Towers. I love the song Evenstar. And it has one good song after another. :)

~Riella =:)

Posted : August 22, 2011 1:10 pm
PrinceCor004
(@princecor004)
NarniaWeb Guru

Lady Haleth, you might want to check into more of Alan Menken's work if you really like Tangled. :) Among other impressive titles, he did the music for Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Enchanted.

Michael Giacchino is a great composer, though I sadly do not own any of his albums at the is time. :( Probably my favorite of his more recent work is Super 8. I LOVE the classic 1980's feel of the music. :D

Ahh... The Two Towers. Definitely the best of the single disc albums for LotR. :D "Foundations of Stone" sets the perfect mood of anticipation for a great musical journey, and thankfully the rest of the album delivers. :-bd

Granted, the Complete Recordings are the true definitive albums of LotR. ;)

*awaits Jo to stop by and ramble on and one about the beauty of the CC.... ;) :p *

Avvie by the great Djaq!

Topic starter Posted : August 22, 2011 5:07 pm
Liberty Hoffman
(@liberty-hoffman)
NarniaWeb Master

I love the LOTR soundtracks :D they are so soothing :D

and of course the Narnia soundtracks are awesome :D

ooh, I really want to listen to the "Super 8" soundtrack (even though I have yet to see the movie :P) :D :D

NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ

Posted : August 27, 2011 11:02 am
Gildor_Inglorion
(@gildor_inglorion)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Hmmmmm.....

Star Trek (2009)
Star Wars
Lord of the Rings
Narnia
Tron: Legacy
Inception
How to Train Your Dragon

Posted : August 27, 2011 3:43 pm
Meltintalle
(@mel)
Member Moderator

I doubt lys is going to see this, but based on a previous conversation on the score for Ladyhawke I finally got around to listening to it by itself. The Main Title and End Credits are probably my favourites, and I'm sure I'd enjoy a traditional orchestral treatment of the themes... but I like it just the way it is. ;)

We have hands that fashion and heads that know,
But our hearts we lost - how long ago! -- G. K. Chesterton

Posted : August 28, 2011 7:56 am
Shadowlander
(@shadowlander)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm on an action movie kick and have been roaming through some of my collection recently. Here's a few notable standouts among the pack.

Predator (1987) with a score by Alan Silvestri, who had just finished off Back to the Future not long before.

The greatest movie ever made had one of the greatest soundtracks ever made, courtesy of James Horner. ;))

I also love the soundtrack to A Bridge Too Far (1977), which itself was an incredible film. PC004, you'd probably like this one's soundtrack and perhaps even the film itself. :)

And though it is at times heavy on synth, I enjoyed Gettysburg's soundtrack as well.

Kennel Keeper of Fenris Ulf

Posted : September 4, 2011 9:29 am
PrinceCor004
(@princecor004)
NarniaWeb Guru

Ahha! Glad to see you stop by Shadow! :D

*wholeheartedly dittos the sentiments on Predator and Aliens B-) *
I actually find Silvestri's Predator 2 to be slightly more enjoyable. The first one is a true classic, but the sequels heavy jungle rhythms are just more... well, epic. :p
I also think Legends of the Fall is Horner's greatest score, but Aliens is definitely in his top 5 greatest. ;) :D

I'm not very familiar with A Bridge Too Far, though I have seen bits of the film on TV. :) From that video you posted, it sounds great. Reminds me of the 1979 animated LotR for some reason...

I must say, I'm not that big a fan of Edelman's Gettysburg. :P Though I really enjoyed his rather synth heavy score to Dragonheart. :)
--------------------------

In soundtrack news, Marco Beltrami has scored two remakes of classic Horror films: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and the prequel to John Carpenter's The Thing. The latter score will be released on October 11th, while Don't be Afraid... is currently available as a download on Amazon and iTunes. :)

I'm hoping The Thing will be good, though I have semi-low expectations for it. Then again, Beltrami did a STUNNING job on Don't be Afraid..... Here's a link to the rather impressive Don't be Afraid of the Dark score:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QCo1v9BodY&NR=1

Avvie by the great Djaq!

Topic starter Posted : September 4, 2011 5:17 pm
Page 1 / 5
Share: