Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Musicals

Page 3 / 3
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @sonny

I had the privilege of seeing Into the Woods on Broadway a few weeks ago! It's one of my absolute favorite musicals. Stephen Sondheim is such a genius in both lyrics and melody. 

Nice! I had a friend who was in an children's theatre, Rose Children's Theatre. One of the shows they've put on that I got to see was The King And I, and she played one of the wives.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 17, 2022 6:46 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

A few years back, I've watched a musical version of The Ten Commandments, with Val Kilmer as Moses (who also portrayed Moses in The Prince of Egypt). It's actually quite impressive. These are perhaps my favorite numbers:

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 6, 2022 7:50 pm
Narnian78 liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

A Christian school in West Palm Beach, Florida, did a performance of Jekyll and Hyde.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 7, 2023 7:59 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

The Lord of the Rings musical is making a comeback in London. It will be performing at Watermill Theatre and will run for about 12 weeks.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 12, 2023 5:21 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

Nice! I had a friend who was in an children's theatre, Rose Children's Theatre. One of the shows they've put on that I got to see was The King And I, and she played one of the wives.

Is that one of your favourites?

I'm involved in a children's theatre here, but in this case it's not by children, it's theatre by adults for children and families. Among the full musicals I have been in are Winnie the Pooh, Hans Christian Anderson, and Mary Poppins (years pre-Broadway our theatre company had its own stage show based on the film, with permission from the writer P L Travers and Disney).

Shows I have loved onstage include mid century classics like Oklahoma, Oliver!, Camelot, and Fiddler on the Roof (some of them I have seen multiple times), and late-century ones like Les Miserables, and Lion King.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2023 5:57 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Jasmine wrote: The Lord of the Rings musical is making a comeback in London. It will be performing at Watermill Theatre and will run for about 12 weeks.

Cool, @jasmine_tarkheena! We saw The Lord of the Rings musical three times in one season when it came to Toronto back in the mid 2000s. The director changed it up a bit each time (some for the better; other scenes, not so), but overall it was excellently staged and performed. The soundtrack is lovely.

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2023 6:04 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

Yes, it is. Fiddler on the Roof is a good one, and so is Camelot. I have a lot of appreciation for the classic musicals and even for the newer ones. And Les Miserable is very deep.

Musical is actually a unique way of storytelling. The songs reflect on the emotion of the characters. "Stars" from Les Miserable is a villain song that has a inner struggle instead of the cliche "I'm an evil villain that's going to rule the world."

I've seen the broadway version of The Lion King as well. Who would have thought how they do the animal costumes and sets of Pride Rock?

Posted by: @jo

Cool, Jasmine! We saw The Lord of the Rings musical three times in one season when it came to Toronto back in the mid 2000s. The director changed it up a bit each time (some for the better; other scenes, not so), but overall it was excellently staged and performed. The soundtrack is lovely.

Nice! I've seen snippets on youtube and the set is just mind blowing! I've listened to the soundtrack and the Flight to the Ford actually gives me chills. And Aragorn and Arwen sing a beautiful duet, "Song of Hope."

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 12, 2023 6:04 pm
johobbit liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I actually took my mom to see Anastasia for a Mother's Day present as part of the "Broadway In Eugene" this past month. It was beyond stunning. They actually had screens that would change the settings, like at the Romonov Palace in St. Petersburg and Paris France.

I plan to see Les Miserable in Eugene this fall.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 2, 2023 8:02 pm
littlgriz
(@tina-cat-moma)
NarniaWeb Regular

Cats the musical is my favret. That’s why I’m caled Littlgriz 

in aslans paws have a good day

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2023 1:58 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Last night I went to My Fair Lady, one of the big mid-century musical shows. I grew up knowing the music from these shows, but it's at least 30 years since I saw it onstage. It was presented by our best local theatre society, semi-professional.

It was beautiful, perfectly sung, choreographed and directed. With the modern show style being so different, I discovered I had really missed this style of show.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2023 1:50 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@coracle Sounds loverly! (Loverly... loverly...) And lest we forget — "In 'Ertford, 'Ereford and 'Ampshire, 'urricanes 'ardly hever 'appen!" Giggle Grin Wink  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 26, 2023 5:02 pm
coracle liked
Page 3 / 3
Share: