Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Music: Album Two

Page 92 / 97
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

@ericnovak, Andrew Peterson is a favourite artist and author of ours. Grin His overflowing creativity is astounding, including his love of gardening at his home, "The Warren" in Tennessee. Keith Getty says that "Is He Worthy?" may be the best worship song written in the last decade ... and Keith and team have written some long-lasting pieces during that same period, all of which I treasure, as well. But back to "Is He Worthy?": this magnificent song, based on Revelation 5, never fails to bring me to tears of joy. I cannot help but picture throngs around the throne of God, gloriously singing this. Whoa, amazing.

Have you read Peterson's "Wingfeather Saga" books? Or his more recent "Adorning the Dark"? (But those are questions for the book thread. Tongue )

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 8, 2020 9:26 am
ericnovak liked
ericnovak
(@ericnovak)
NarniaWeb Guru

@johobbit I've never read any of his books, but I loved his music, so I need to explore his work more! Are you part of the Rabbit Room Chinwag on Facebook? So many Peterson/Lewis/Tolkien fans, worth visiting for sure.

Request Access to the Chippingford Market: Narnia Buy & Sell

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 9, 2020 9:07 am
johobbit
(@jo)
Posted by: @ericnovak

Are you part of the Rabbit Room Chinwag on Facebook?

I most certainly am! Grin

Another Peterson song I really appreciate is "Dancing in the Mine Fields". I was going to share what it is about, but will save that for y'all to watch for yourselves. Smile Quite precious.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 10, 2020 8:44 am
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)
Maiden of Monday Madness Moderator

For the first time in ages I have a reason to post in the music thread, Sovereign Grace Music has a new Christmas album, Heaven Has Come, coming out on the 30th. Dancing I love their two previous Christmas albums, so I am very excited about their new one. Smile  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 10, 2020 4:08 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

@snowangel, I love Sovereign Grace Music's music ( Giggle ), and have been following this new Christmas album. Love, especially, "O Come All You Unfaithful". Powerful. But the entire album looks amazing! I have it on my Christmas list. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 29, 2020 11:01 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I looked up that song when you posted it Jo. Wow! Very good. I'll have to see if Pandora will allow me to add their music to my Christmas station this year. 

I've had to laugh at myself because, for reasons I cannot explain, I have really gotten into instrumental bluegrass music running in the background when I'm working on things. Classical music doesn't help me focus, but bluegrass does. Who would have thought??? 
It's also having the side effect of making me want to go to the Appalachian Mountains. Tongue  

But my latest earworm is my very favorite earworm is Peter Hollens/Home Free/Their Patreon fans covering my very favorite song by U2. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2020 11:17 am
johobbit
(@jo)

^ Wow, well done!

A song that I discovered a couple of years ago and which has become one of my most treasured contemporary Christmas-related pieces is also on Heaven Has Come, "Glory in the Darkest Place". It speaks to the weighty grief and sorrow we experience in this world, but also to the fact that we are not alone in our suffering: God became flesh and dwelt among us, therefore He knows our sorrows. The very real words to this song also have such a beautiful, reflective melody (and harmonies). 'Though, actually, I almost prefer the more rustic, unpolished version played by Bob Kauflin and sung by two of his daughters, one of whom wrote the piece (Brittany, the gal on the left). It moves me to tears pretty much every time I listen.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 3, 2020 7:06 pm
Narnian78 liked
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

@johobbit, my family and I are really enjoying Heaven Has Come, although I'm trying super hard not play it too much. In the past I have often over played (according to others) my newest favorite album to annoyance of my mom. No idea We have Prepare Him Room and Savior: Celebrating the Mystery of God Become Man, so I did make a playlist of the three and I try to shuffle play them if mom is around. 

And now that we have the new album, it's time to start work on our Christmas decorating playlist for the 27th. Smile  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 14, 2020 12:55 pm
johobbit liked
Arwenel
(@arin)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Hospitality Committee

I've never gotten into the Enneagram personality test myself, but i listened to Sleeping at Last's nine songs on the different types, and i loved them. Not a huge surprise, since i really like Sleeping at Last in general. 

I'm probably a Five, but my favorites were One, Three, and Eight. 

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. - Rabbi Tarfon

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 28, 2020 9:27 pm
The Old Maid
(@the-old-maid)
NarniaWeb Nut

Can you believe that it has been almost 9 years since anyone mentioned The Maccabeats? They have new material since then!

I have a little dreidel

The Latke Recipe

All About That Neis

Hasmonean

And a whole lot more. Clean, educational, and amazing. Applause  

It's back! My humongous [technical term] study of What's behind "Left Behind" and random other stuff.

The Upper Room | Sponsor a child | Genealogy of Jesus | Same TOM of Toon Zone

ReplyQuote
Posted : December 29, 2020 5:33 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

Does anyone here like space music such as Jonn Serrie and Geodesium? I am now listening to one of the Geodesium albums by Mark C. Peterson.  The music was composed for the planetarium environment.  I really enjoy it.  The CD is the best format for sound quality in that kind of music. There are also the Hearts of Space albums by Constance Demby, Keven Braheny, and others. Hearts of Space was broadcast on the radio during the 1980’s, although it was about ten years after that when I first started listening to the music on CD’s.  It was difficult to find  the broadcast on my local stations, so the CD was the better option for listening whenever I wanted to.  Then I began to appreciate the beauty of that type of ambient music. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 5, 2021 2:59 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

On @shastastwin's recommendation, I recently listened to AnaĂŻs Mitchell's Hadestown album. Stylistically and lyrically, I didn't love it on first listen, but it probably also didn't help that I didn't know/had forgotten that

Spoiler
it's a retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice and not a retelling of the story of Hades and Persephone. The latter can have a hopeful ending, but not the latter. Tongue The setting itself is interesting, but also very bleak.
That said, I really do like the "Wait for Me" refrain, and I wish there was an actual song built around it, not just a refrain around dialogue. I'll consider listening to the full musical album at some point too; it's possible I'll feel differently on a second listen with the polished songs. Smile

I've also recently been listening to The Lightning Thief musical, based on the book of the same title by Rick Riordan (AKA the first Percy Jackson book). On the first listen, only a song or two jumped out, but I liked it enough to listen again and, after a few repeats, I now enjoy the majority of the soundtrack. I saw some comments about how a few of the lyrics came straight from the book or connecting books. I recently reread the series and found a handful more. It's always nice when adaptations can keep lines from the original work, and even nicer to realise the composer/lyricist also studied the connecting books in order to pull lines from them. {ym};giggle:

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 8, 2021 1:23 pm
shastastwin
(@shastastwin)
Member Moderator Emeritus
Posted by: @valiantarcher

On @shastastwin's recommendation, I recently listened to AnaĂŻs Mitchell's Hadestown album. Stylistically and lyrically, I didn't love it on first listen, but it probably also didn't help that I didn't know/had forgotten that

Spoiler
it's a retelling of Orpheus and Eurydice and not a retelling of the story of Hades and Persephone. The latter can have a hopeful ending, but not the latter. Tongue The setting itself is interesting, but also very bleak.
That said, I really do like the "Wait for Me" refrain, and I wish there was an actual song built around it, not just a refrain around dialogue. I'll consider listening to the full musical album at some point too; it's possible I'll feel differently on a second listen with the polished songs. Smile

Yeah, the story can seem a bit bleak due to the myth it retells. If it helps, the full musical version has more of the myth you were expecting, and (I think) a bit more hope to it. It also has fuller versions of "Wait for Me". 🙂

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration

6689 posts from forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 10, 2021 8:17 pm
ValiantArcher
(@valiantarcher)
BC Head and G&B Mod Moderator

@shastastwin, thanks! I've heard the musical versions (two, as far as I can tell) of "Wait for Me" and the refrain does keep coming through my head. Giggle Still not the same as a full song, but it was nice to have a bit more.

Death is swallowed up in victory.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 13, 2021 6:10 pm
SnowAngel
(@snowangel)

Sovereign Grace Music has a new song, Christ Will Be My Hideaway. It's excellent. Smile  

SnowAngel

Christ is King.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 22, 2021 12:54 pm
johobbit liked
Page 92 / 97
Share: