Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Actors

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wasn't sure if there was a discussion about our favorite actors, so I thought I start one. There are so many to choose from, I can't pick just one all time favorite actor.

Jeff Goldblum- I love his dry sense of humor, in movies like Jurassic Park and Independence Day. He also did the voice of Aaron in Dreamworks The Prince of Egypt, who knew? Recently, he did a show on Geographic Channels, The World According to Jeff Goldblum.

Ralph Macchio- I am a fan of the Karate Kid Trilogy. I also saw him in The Outsiders, which was pre-Karate Kid. He was also in My Cousin Vinny. Wonder what his secret is to stay so young?

Scott Baio- Now I have gotten Ralph Macchio and Scott Baio mixed up, because they resemble one another. I've seen him in Charles in Charge and Diagnosis Murder. Great actor, though doesn't get enough recognition these days.

Sam Neill- While he's done movies in his younger days, I think he started getting a lot of recognition after Jurassic Park. I think Sam Neill has a really interesting voice, a mix of warmth and intimidation. He was also one of the voices in Legend of the Guardians: The Owl of Ga'hoole, which is kind of a Lord of the Rings meets Karate Kid with owls.

What are some of your favorite actors?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 23, 2022 3:08 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena Sam Neill is one of New Zealand's most celebrated actors - he tends to play Americans, but has a good range of accents.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2022 8:06 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @coracle

@jasmine_tarkheena Sam Neill is one of New Zealand's most celebrated actors - he tends to play Americans, but has a good range of accents.

I think he recently was in The Hunt for The Wilder People, which is set in New Zealand. He has an interesting voice, and after seeing him portray Dr. Grant on Jurassic Park, I have a lot of respect for him. Not sure I could picture him in a Narnia movie and series, though.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 23, 2022 8:35 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@jasmine_tarkheena yes, he was - I was thinking of mentioning, but wasn't sure how well known it is outside NZ.

It has a lot of NZ cultural allusions, such as the wild car driving is a reference to a series of Toyota TV adverts. 

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 23, 2022 8:48 pm
Jasmine liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I've also seen Jeff Goldblum guest star in a sitcom, Laverne and Shirley, which was a spin-off series of Happy Days.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 24, 2022 3:43 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

So many of the fine actors of the 1960’s have passed away. Sally Kellerman, who was in the Star Trek episode “Where No Man Has Gone Before” died recently.  Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan, and De Forest Kelley are no longer with us. Martin Landau, Peter Graves, and Greg Morris of Mission: Impossible passed away years ago. They were all very talented people and it is sad that television and the movies no longer have actors like these.  🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 26, 2022 2:06 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@narnian78 It's sad that some of the old time actors are no longer with us. I think Betty White who lived to be 99 years old died fairly recently.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 26, 2022 10:16 am
Narnian78 liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I just saw Ben Barnes, who portrayed Caspian in the Walden film adaptions of Narnia, in a T-Mobile commercial.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 10, 2022 8:32 pm
coracle
(@coracle)

@narnian78 One of the markers of being in a certain age-group is that one hasn't learned all the younger actors' names and faces, as the newer movies and TV series don't necessarily appeal as they did when we were younger.

I must confess that there's a whole generation of actors of whom I couldn't put names and faces together. Shame on me, perhaps - but I did learn my parents' generation of actors and entertainers, and then my own.

I find it hard to think of who my favourites are. I suspect I need to have them pointed out to me in film and TV/online, and then to confirm that I do like their work very much.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 11, 2022 5:26 am
Narnian78 liked
Share: