Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Everyone wants to talk weather part 2

Page 143 / 154
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Right now we are in the springtime yo-yo weather where we're bouncing back and forth on cold to warm temps. Today it is gorgeous...71F. It's supposed to get a lot cooler later this week and then almost hot by the end of the weekend/beginning of next week.

There are a small handful of storms in the forecast but they're mostly missing us and hitting the southeastern USA instead. We did have one REALLY good lightning storm last week. Grin  

Posted : April 5, 2022 4:02 pm
johobbit liked
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

We are having our third rain bomb since February at the moment. Downriver from here, the Nepean-Hawkesbury River flooded for a second time, in late March, after a rain system impacted Lismore, in the North, near Queensland, following similar weather coming down the Queensland/NSW coast from Maryborough, in February. At one point no sooner had evacuees were told they could go back to their homes when they were expected to evacuate again. Shocked  

This is getting much too much of a good thing. Worried   It seems we are having a double La Nina event, & some have been talking about a triple La Nina. It would be nice to dry out sometime. Sigh  

Posted : April 7, 2022 1:47 am
Ellesar
(@ellesar)

Well we woke up to several inches of snow this morning in western Washington State. It made for a fun commute this morning Giggle  

See the armies so arrayed,
Line on line, ten thousand strong.
See the Dragon King’s sharp blade,
Rising to a song!
See his enemies laid low!
Hear our voices sing:
Let glory crown the victor’s brow,
In the Hall of the Dragon King!

Posted : April 11, 2022 8:16 pm
johobbit liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Nice to see you in the weather thread, Ellesar!

That same storm will move across the Rockies and arrive here in a few days - after a storm from the southwest brings rain, wind, and possible tornadoes, that western storm will bring unseasonably cold weather with some snow. It's certainly a weather grab-bag this week.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : April 11, 2022 10:11 pm
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

Yesterday it was almost 90Fs. This morning as my kids and I were leaving swim lessons, it was snowing. 

Who else in the Midwest had a crazy temperature swing?

@Gazer, are you part of the blizzard up north?

Posted : April 13, 2022 1:06 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

@fantasia, we're southeast of the big blizzard (which is bringing up to 30 inches/760mm of snow to parts of North Dakota). It's currently 33F/0C at 10.30pm local time, so it's cold enough to snow. Tomorrow will bring wind gusts exceeding 50 mph (80kph) and probably some snow flurries on the backside of the low pressure, but accumulation is expected to be minor.

Southeast Minnesota, less than 2 hours from here, had some wild weather last night. An EF-2 tornado destroyed much of a tiny town near Austin, wind blew over 9 semi trailers on I-35, and snowplows were called out to remove accumulated hail near Rochester.

We just had lots of wind, rain, and thunder and lightning, with some hail in the southern suburbs. No damage here, apart from a few small branches knocked out of trees.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

Posted : April 13, 2022 9:31 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

@fantasia, that is insane! Weather has been a roller coaster in the south as well. This weekend temps dropped down to the 30s, only to be in the 70s and 80s this week. The trees and flowers are currently in full bloom though, so hopefully no more cold snaps will slow them down. 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

Posted : April 13, 2022 10:50 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It's hard to think about trees and flowers blooming with snow falling outside. 😉

At least we're just getting an occasional snow shower rather than the blizzard North Dakota is getting. Some areas are reporting over 30 inches (760mm) of new snow with a foot more coming this weekend, and drifts up to 9 feet tall. I've seen pictures of landscapes that include cars and even houses with lots of snow on them. I-94 is closed in much of the state, mostly because the high winds are keeping plows from having much effect.

It's very windy here as well.

Posted : April 14, 2022 1:09 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

Here in Southern Ontario, it just snowed all night.  So it looks like Christmas morning even though it's almost May...I'd probably miss the snow if I moved somewhere warm year round, but NOT in (late) April!

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

Posted : April 19, 2022 10:24 am
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Hey, @ellesar, great to see you in here! Grin Hope you stayed safe on that slippery day!

@glenwit, just popping in to say the same thing. We had a good few inches of snow here in SW Ontario yesterday afternoon and overnight. Dancing Everything was a magical wonderland this morning on my walk! The evergreens were coated with snowy icing; the properties, farms, lawns, landscape was totally covered with the white stuff. Gorgeous! April snow, wow! Loving this. I so wanted to put our Christmas lights back up outside last night. Giggle  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : April 19, 2022 10:39 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

We've not had settled weather down here in the South Pacific, for months. After a summer with not enough sun and too much rain, we had a mixed autumn. This is the first of 2 weeks school holidays, and as Autumn weather goes it's pleasant so far. Useful for me catching up in the neglected garden. 

Now I need to start walking too!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : April 19, 2022 1:48 pm
Jasmine liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Our weather is unsettled too.  Saturday was hot and humid for this time of year (75F/24C) with brief torrential rain, and today it's barely above freezing with record lows (around 28F/-2C) expected tonight.

Heavy rain fell in northwest Minnesota this weekend as well, on top of 20 or more inches of snow received in the recent blizzard. So there's a lot of flooding in that part of the state. (The Red River of the North, which forms the border between Minnesota and North Dakota, is prone to spring flooding each year since - unlike almost all other North American rivers - it flows to the north into Manitoba, where there is usually still snow on the ground and ice jams on the river. The storms this year have made that situation worse).

Posted : April 25, 2022 5:53 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Speaking of warm and humid, our Sunday last was just that. Very unusual for April. Sure glad that did not last! Tongue  

However, last night and today we are receiving light snow flurries, with the temperature hovering right around 0°C both day and night: the daytime is just above; the nighttime is below, with a wind chill. Great early mornings for brisk walking, that's for sure! Grin  

From tomorrow through Saturday, clear weather is dominating, with temps in the very early teens (Celsius) and right around freezing each night. Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

Posted : April 27, 2022 6:29 am
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)

@ Coracle: We've not had settled weather down here in the South Pacific, for months. After a summer with not enough sun and too much rain, we had a mixed autumn

Ditto here in New South Wales, in particular. The flooding rains started in Queensland, slid down the coast & veered out to sea south of Sydney. Though the rain has eased off for Easter & Anzac Day, allowing us to dry out, in lovely weather, the general sogginess is threatening to return again by the weekend. Eyeroll  

At least the plants can't complain they haven't been watered. Wink  

Posted : May 4, 2022 2:05 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

The sun has returned here after about a week of clouds and much-needed rain (tomorrow's Drought Monitor may show us finally out of drought).

To celebrate we enjoyed a backyard fire last evening. After sunset we spotted a delicate crescent Moon in the west, and later, Mercury. The temperature was in the mid-50s F (around 12C).

Posted : May 4, 2022 1:15 pm
johobbit liked
Page 143 / 154
Share: