Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Astronomy: Adventures in Stargazing

Page 52 / 62
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Thanks, @jo! Rya's dad is a computer genius and we've tried a few things, but to no avail. All is not lost, however; I was able to find paper copies of about 70 observations in the recycle box (mostly ones made in the wee hours when I wrote them rather than entered them directly into Word). And this thread will be very helpful in capturing the essence, if not the precise details, of some other observations (notably, my notes about May's lunar eclipse).

@narnian78, many years ago I bought what was then a popular atlas, the Skalnate Pleso Atlas of the Heavens.

I also learned the sky with a planisphere and the very useful The Sky Observer's Guide.

These days I mostly rely on online star charts.

Recent weather has been glorious. It was down to about 50F/10C this morning when I stepped out to enjoy Orion and company dominating the southeast sky. And Saturday evening some local NarniaWebbers gathered at a farm outside of the city and enjoyed a great view of the Moon near Antares, Saturn and Jupiter, the summer Milky Way, and the Andromeda galaxy (M31) was easy with the unaided eye. And no bugs or humidity! (An added bit of entertainment was the cats scurrying about, climbing trees, and so on).

Edit: After leaving the farm Saturday night, I had a clear view to the north and saw a white arc of light roughly parallel to the horizon in the north and northeast. I wondered if it was Northern Lights and kept an eye on it (I wasn't driving 😉 ). I wasn't sure until today's news reports of auroras reported farther south than here, and pictures online that looked similar to what I saw. So I'm pretty confident it was my first aurora sighting in a while.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 5, 2022 3:03 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I have always liked the Peterson Field Guide to the Stars and Planets by Donald H. Menzel.  The book went through many changes and editions, but I think it is still available. Some people might think the small.paperback format is too confining, but I still like the book for its attractive format and the way it invites you to look at the night sky.  The charts are small but useful for those who want a quick look at the constellations. I still have my edition from the 1960’s and a later one from the 1980’s. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 8, 2022 3:29 am
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator
Posted by: @stargazer

All is not lost, however; I was able to find paper copies of about 70 observations in the recycle box (mostly ones made in the wee hours when I wrote them rather than entered them directly into Word). And this thread will be very helpful in capturing the essence, if not the precise details, of some other observations (notably, my notes about May's lunar eclipse).

Very good to hear.

Your recent stargazing sounds wonderful in many ways, stargazer. And how beautiful you saw an aurora while driving home. Certainly a treat to end a delightful evening.

My morning walks (8°C lately) have been lovely, with Orion rising in the SE sky. I clearly saw Procyon between Sirius and Pollux in Gemini. Mars remains ruddy bright high in the SE, with Aldebaran not far below, and the Pleiades to the upper right. Venus is low on the horizon in the East, and diminishing in brightness, as it seems, being deep in the dawn's light now. Jupiter blazes high in the SW.

At one point, while looking up, I noticed a bright object almost directly above me. Realizing no bright stars or planets should be there then, I noted it was moving. At first I thought 'twas the ISS ('though I checked later, and there were no passes at that time), but as I watched, it quite quickly 'flared up', then diminished again ... akin to the Iridium flare days. 

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 9, 2022 8:27 am
stargazer liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I've occasionally seen those Iridium-like flares, including one last weekend out at the farm, which brightened to magnitude -1.5.

Recent nights have been wonderfully cool and crisp, with temperatures around 12-15C (some towns in northern Minnesota have reported lows near freezing). Last night we enjoyed a backyard fire, with the big bright Harvest Moon rising over the trees. Jupiter was about 10 degrees to its left; as the night went on the Moon moved closer (but closest approach happened during the day here).

Jupiter seems unusually bright this season - and at magnitude -2.9 it really is! It is opposite the sun September 26 (at its biggest and closest for the year, and visible all night). This is its closest opposition since October 8, 1963, and it won't be closer until October 7, 2129.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 11, 2022 3:00 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

Last night we enjoyed a backyard fire, with the big bright Harvest Moon rising over the trees. Jupiter was about 10 degrees to its left;

This sounds marvelous, stargazer. Ooh, I can visualize that beauty in my mind's eye! And cool about Jupiter's upcoming opposition. As I  walk in the early mornings, this giant planet really is bright and beautiful as it heads toward the west. Now, the past number of weeks, I have noticed a huge square of stars just to the right of Jupiter. I had not known before what this was, but looked it up ... part of Pegasus! It is quite something and very distinguishable, I find.

The night sky was gorgeous this morning, as the temp sat at 2-3°C — crisp and clear. I started out around 6, so the sky above was still nicely dark. The sky in the SE, in particular, was filled with sights: mighty Orion, Sirius, Procyon (one I have learned this year, thanks to stargazer) between Sirius and  Pollux. Then ruddy Aldebaran between Orion and the Pleiades. And even ruddier Mars high up and just to the left of Aldebaran.

Prior to this, the Big Dipper was a bit hard to see, being closer to the horizon, but now, it is standing on its handle in the north - always a stunning sight.

EDIT: How could I have neglected to mention that stunning crescent Moon yesterday morning, as it rose in the eastern sky, with the earth shadow very pronounced. Wait, is that what it is called, stargazer? That doesn't make much sense (except for an eclipse Giggle ). I always forget. Tongue Or possibly earth shine?? Anyway, so, so lovely. 'Twas a sight to behold! /End Edit

I was keeping an eye for Venus in the early light of dawn, but did not see it until I reached my clear vista east. And there it was, 'though a lot less bright than before, as it is near the horizon and in the dawn's brightest glow. Apparently we should be able to see Mercury soon around the same spot (east). As Venus diminishes, Mercury comes into view. That will be a fun challenge to try to spot, best during the second week of October, from what S&T says.

My favourite season for stargazing is upon us, and it is only going to get better from here on in as dark descends earlier and dawn comes later. Dancing Star  

Oh, stargazer, is it the fist's width that is about 10° in the sky?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 23, 2022 4:41 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I really miss Jack Horkheimer, who used to host the PBS program Stargazer, which was broadcast over ten years ago. There have been other hosts doing the show, but somehow it isn’t the same after Mr. Horkheimer passed away. I had always wished that the show was longer than five minutes, but the short episodes may be the reason why it was offered free to many PBS television stations. Astronomy was made very simple and entertaining with such a wonderful host as Mr. Horkheimer. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 5, 2022 4:24 am
johobbit and fantasia liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

@jo, earthshine is the term for the illumination of the 'dark' side of the moon by earth's reflected light. And 10 degrees is about the width of your fist. Your hands can be used for other measurements: A Handy Guide

It's been cloudy most of the last week here, though the weather has been much warmer than average, but it is mostly clear now.  I was just outside tonight, enjoying the view of the Moon just southeast of Saturn. Bright Jupiter looked on from the east; the Moon will visit it in a couple of days. And once again, I saw a couple of deer walking down the street while I was outside.

By day, I've been enjoying the explosion of color in the trees that marks the change of the seasons.

I didn't see the Stargazer program more than a few times (great name! 😉 ) I remember it more by its earlier name, Star Hustler, which was eventually changed due to poor connotations of that word.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 5, 2022 8:23 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

The past few days have featured what I consider some of the best weather of the year here: clear blue skies offering contrast to blazing colors in the trees, low humidity and no bugs, and highs around 70F/21C. And with the sun setting around 6.45 local daylight time, there's plenty of time to enjoy the starlit evenings.

Last night we enjoyed a backyard fire; some clouds gradually cleared so we could watch Jupiter and the Hunter's Moon rise over the trees.  I think I could do that just about every night...

Saturday morning I woke up around 6.30 am and went outside to look for Mercury, now putting on a good show in the dawn sky. I had to walk down the block to see it, but it was surprisingly easy to see in the growing twilight. It was at greatest elongation (farthest apparent distance from the sun) that morning and will gradually sink back into the sunlight, but there should be some good viewing days left. It's all by itself, below Leo in the east, but a good horizon will help as it was only about 9 degrees high at the beginning of civil twilight.

The next full moon (early November 8) will feature the year's second total lunar eclipse, but this one is in the wee hours and the Moon will set before it finishes for the eastern half of North America. More details to follow as we get closer.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 10, 2022 2:28 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

And 10 degrees is about the width of your fist. Your hands can be used for other measurements: A Handy Guide

Super-duper! I have been wanting a guide like this. Many thanks for the link, stargazer. Thumbs up

That is very cool you saw deer walking down the street while stargazing! I had a similar experience a couple of years ago in early twilight when a group of nine deer ran across the country road I was on, from one field to the next. Beautiful! Actually, they reminded me of the Nazgûl's movements in FotR (sorry, deer! Bats eyes ), as four stopped at the top of a nearby hill, while five ran on further. (Weathertop, anyone? Giggle )

By day, I've been enjoying the explosion of color in the trees that marks the change of the seasons.

Ditto here! The colours of the leaves are the best they have been in a few years—vibrant oranges, reds, yellows, mixeed with the still green of some trees. Grin

And with the sun setting around 6.45 local daylight time, there's plenty of time to enjoy the starlit evenings.

Yes, I love this! I don't have to try to stay up late to begin to see the night sky appear. And the amazing cool Autumn weather is so welcoming and comfortable for viewing that vast expanse.

Last night we enjoyed a backyard fire; some clouds gradually cleared so we could watch Jupiter and the Hunter's Moon rise over the trees.  I think I could do that just about every night...

This sounds absolutely wonderful. And I heartily agree that if we had a campfire every night, while watching the stars and planets appear, I do not think I would ever tire of this.

Great that you saw Mercury. I did, as well, this morning. It is not tricky, is it? As I walked under the night sky (but with dawn starting to glow on the horizon @ 6:15 a.m.), Mercury was very clear rising up - a lone planet well below Leo. I then walked into the dawn, and could still see Mercury until just before 7 a.m. when the dawn became to bright. Although at that time, I had to really look for it, as the not-yet-risen sun was washing out the eastern sky.

This is the time of year I can get in both morning and evening walks under the night sky (well, from now until March or so), and it has been fun seeing the Summer Triangle in the evening (around 7:30 pm) and the Winter Triangle—Procyon, Betelgeuse, Sirius—in the early morning (6 or 6:30 a.m.). This morning I was also treated to a very fast, bright meteor from the South to the NE. I wonder if this was an early Orionid.

And it is always lovely seeing Jupiter rise higher in the eastern sky as I go on my evening walk. Last night, the just-past-full Hunter's Moon was glorious, as it rose up out of the trees, huge and very orange.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 11, 2022 11:44 am
stargazer liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @jo

Great that you saw Mercury. I did, as well, this morning. It is not tricky, is it?

Mercury was indeed easy to see, but the biggest hindrance here is the abundance of trees blocking the horizon in most directions. The planet was quite bright, but finding it between the trees was the challenge. I only saw it twice during this apparition (we had a few cloudy mornings in there too), though I may try again tonight (it sinks to superior conjunction November 8 but will be invisible before then). In December it enters the evening sky and will be near Venus, which is also at the beginning of its next evening apparition.

With the sun setting earlier every day, the advance of the seasons is especially evident in the sky. Orion is up earlier each night, and bright red Mars dominates the east (at least until Sirius rises).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 18, 2022 12:59 pm
johobbit liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@stargazer 

I remember reading years ago that astronomers over a hundred years ago believed that there was a planet called Vulcan between Mercury and the Sun, but one of Einstein’s theories had disproved its existence. So it was as fictional as Mr. Spock’s home planet because of the laws of the universe. I think I have seen Mercury only twice because its low position near the horizon, which often is obstructed by clouds or something else. The view of the planet would never be spectacular, but there is a good feeling of accomplishment in having seen it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 19, 2022 5:36 am
fantasia
(@fantasia)
Member Admin

I really enjoyed Webb's picture of the Pillars of Creation that came out this week.... Here's both Hubble and Webb's pictures side by side.

https://philstarlife.com/news-and-views/670568-iconic-pillars-of-creation-new-webb-image

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2022 4:16 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

^ Amazing, absolutely amazing!

We have had so much cloud and rain all week that it has been tricky to stargaze. But I have had a few choice moments on my morning walks when the clouds would slightly part in various areas of the sky to reveal Sirius or Mars or the Pleiades. That looked really cool!

More chance for viewing the night sky this weekend as clouds will not dominate quite so much.

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 20, 2022 4:31 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

In December [Mercury] enters the evening sky and will be near Venus, which is also at the beginning of its next evening apparition.

Looking forward to this beautiful sight!

Posted by: @narnian78

The view of the planet would never be spectacular, but there is a good feeling of accomplishment in having seen it.

Yes, indeed! There is something about seeing that oft-elusive planet that is very rewarding. Smile  

While last week we had a stalled system of cloud and rain (not that I mind those, but I do miss the night sky if there are too many overcast nights in a row Giggle ), this past weekend was clear, clear, clear. Above average temperatures during the day, but nighttime cooled down very nicely. It was 3°C / 37.4F when I was walking early this morning. Star  

And what a walk! Crisp temperatures and sparkling night sky above me. Wonderful view of that southern sky, which holds mighty Orion, Canis Major (I haven't yet learned to pick out Canis Minor), Mars, Sirius, Procyon, Gemini; then on towards the west, Aldebaran and the Pleiades; also Capella.

Each of these past few mornings, I have spotted Arcturus, as I followed through the line of the Big Dipper's handle. Dawn eventually washed it out, but it was so pretty, twinkling as it rose in the NE.
EDIT: 'Tis very cool, because this time of year one can see Arcturus both in the early morning and in the evening. Cool   /End Edit

The Moon, its crescent lessened each day, has been gorgeous. This morning it was at its thinnest lower in the east, and I wasn't sure if I could spy it ... but I did! Just above the red glow of the dawn, there it was! I think I squealed with delight. Giggle It was turned upright, like a shallow bowl and barely visible. It disappeared around 7:15 a.m., as did Arcturus.

To my delight, I saw two meteors on Saturday morning (Orionids!): one quick and short; the other longer and very bright. I thought the latter might be a fireball, and while it did appear to have a ball at the end, it did not flash or 'explode' nor turn green as have other fireballs I have seen. Still, it was quite spectacular. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : October 24, 2022 6:41 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Your morning observations sound wonderful, @jo! How nice that you saw the Moon so close to new. Your descriptions allow me to visualize the experience. It's a great time of year to enjoy Orion and company without worrying about frostbite.

This past weekend was again warm, and we enjoyed another backyard fire, possibly our last for the season, Saturday evening. There was no moon this time, and the sky was dimmed by wildfire smoke from western North America, but it was still a very pleasant evening.

Speaking of Arcturus, it's that time of year again...this week, that star is the "ghost of summer suns" as its location in the west roughly marks the same location the sun occupied near the solstice, at the same time on the clock. It's a vivid reminder of just how much daylight we've lost and the change of seasons.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 25, 2022 3:57 pm
johobbit liked
Page 52 / 62
Share: