Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Astronomy: Adventures in Stargazing

Page 51 / 62
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

We've had several days of very pleasant weather (seasonal temperatures but without the high humidity August usually brings). Due to the drought we also have very few mosquitoes.

This time of year, the evening Moon rides low in the sky this far north, and a variety of other factors means it's even lower than usual. So even when it's at its highest, it's quite low, and I think that adds to its beauty.

Tonight's full moon is near Saturn, which is opposite the sun on August 14. Then it is out all night and at its best, though it is well placed all month. Jupiter will be next, shining at an especially favorable opposition on September 26.

One of the year's best meteor showers, the Perseids, peak August 12-13, but the big bright Moon will dampen the festivities a bit. Still worth watching for meteors if you happen to be out and about between midnight and dawn.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 11, 2022 9:54 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Ditto the more comfortable weather days here, stargazer. And this is to continue, yay! Temps these next couple of nights will be 10°C / 50F, lovely! And nice for early morning walking. Hence, I have come to gush about this morning's walk. So many highlights, as I started out in the dark at 5 a.m. EDT

*the Full Sturgeon Moon beginning to sink in the SW, with Saturn only two fingertips to the right - a pretty sight

*bright Jupiter high up, as well, in the South

*the Pleiades, very clear, just to the left of Mars (four fingertips), which is high in the ESE

*that iconic burning eye of Venus much lower in the NE, in the first horizon light of dawn; Venus is directly below Castor and Pollux in Gemini

*and to the right of Gemini rose mighty Orion. 'Tis the first time I have seen him in all his glory this season (cloud-cover other recent days)

*Cassiopeia was at the zenith

*Cygnus and the vast Summer Triangle in the West

Sunrise, at 6:25 a.m. was just average (still lovely), as there was nary a cloud in sight

To my surprise, I saw not one Perseid meteor! And I was looking up a lot. But the Full Moon washed out a good chunk of the sky, so probably only the brightest would be seen. Other years we have arisen around 3 a.m. to view this meteor shower by the Old Silo and have seen 40-60 meteors/hour, so I was surprised I didn't glimpse any this morning. Hopefully tomorrow morning I shall. Smile  

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 12, 2022 5:50 am
stargazer liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It sounds like a wonderful time outside, Jo, even if the Perseids proved elusive!

Thursday night brought much-needed rain, and clouds persisted into last evening (Friday). However, when I checked the sky around 2:30 this morning it was clear, so I stepped outside. It was quite pleasant - no humidity (which is usually an issue here in August) and no mosquitoes (due to the drought).

The Moon shone brightly in the south, bracketed somewhat by Saturn and blazing Jupiter. Mars is brightening quickly now and appears reddish.

I relaxed in a chair in the driveway, facing northeast (toward Perseus, Andromeda, and Pegasus), with the moon hidden by a neighbor's house. I was pleased to spot 2 Perseid meteors, given the bright moonlight, lots of city lights, and trees obscuring some of the view.

I returned outside around 4:45 to catch my first view of Orion and Gemini this season. I hoped to see Venus in the dawn, but clouds rushed in from the north around 5:30, dashing that chance.

Sunrise here this morning was at 6:13 (it's earlier here since I am farther north and live farther east in my time zone; both effects combine to bring earlier sunrises in summer).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 13, 2022 1:06 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Your time outside in the early morning also sounds beautiful, stargazerl! And hurrah for spotting two Perseid meteors! The following morning since I posted ^ I did see one meteor and it was an excellent: long, bright, straight as an arrow right into the Moon (or so it appeared Giggle ). Not a fireball, but a very decent showing.

This early morning's walk was clear and comfortable at 10°C / 50F. I began a bit later than usual (5:30 a.m.) but was still treated to a lovely starry sky, given that the sunrise is nearly an hour later here than it was at the Summer Solstice (currently at 6:32 a.m.).

Starting with bright Venus in the NE, above which was Gemini, then to the right, magnificent Orion rising in the eastern sky; following along to high ruddy Mars, then the lovely half Moon. Oh, above Mars, not far, was the Pleiades. The Moon, Mars, and that cutest of star clusters made a nice triangle. Bright Jupiter was high in the South, while Saturn was much lower in the SW, and soon disappeared in the mists near that horizon. The Summer Triangle and Cygnus the Swan was glorious in the western sky. Star  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 18, 2022 7:14 am
johobbit
(@jo)

This morning's walk was beautiful, too. Red Mars was less than a finger's width below the Moon; the Pleiades was less than two fingers' width to the Moon's upper left; Jupiter off to the right (S), and Saturn way below to the right (SW). Venus is low-ish in the ENE. To me, Venus, through the atmosphere, has a reddish tinge. Capella was far above Venus in the ENE. This was at 5:15 a.m. EDT. Sun rose at 6:33 this morning. So, I can get in my entire walk these days, including some great night sky gazing, before the sun even rises. Smile

Of course, other treats are still very present: Gemini, Orion, Cassiopeia, Cygnus, the Summer Triangle, amongst others I can see but cannot yet name. By the time 6:05 came, out of all that I viewed earlier, only a few were still visible. Oh! I forgot to mention yesterday that I did see Sirius right near the horizon, straight down from Orion's belt. And this morning, as well. Always fun to see that bright star. It was very twinkly this morning, being so close to the horizon. I meant to look for Aldebaran today (lower left from Mars), but forgot.

I hope to go out again tomorrow morning, then the nighttime temps here are going to be too warm for a few days (boohoo!) - a last hurrah to summer, I guess. Giggle   Eager for cooler weather again!

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 19, 2022 1:50 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Very nice descriptions! How neat that you've found Sirius. It may be a week or 2 before I see it due to trees and other obstacles.

It was cloudy here so I missed the Moon near Mars (and we got a lot of much-needed rain), but a few nights before I did see Jupiter very close to the Moon. I was hoping to use the Moon as a guide to see Jupiter after sunrise, but somehow I missed the alarm or slept through it, and woke up too late to do it.

The rain clouds have cleared off now (less than 2 hours before sunset) and with pleasant temps outside I'm looking forward to some stargazing tonight. It almost feels like autumn is around the corner, but heat can persist into September.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 20, 2022 5:33 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

Glad you received that needed rain, stargazer ('though it meant no star-gazing at that time). And nice about the Moon and Jupiter, lovely!

Sirius is becoming more obvious here, seen as a very twinkly star close to the horizon around 5:30, then seeming to rise quite rapidly over the next half hour. I caught a brief glimpse of Orion before the cloud cover moved in. Jupiter, too, was in and out of clouds during my walk this morning, as was Cassiopeia. Saturn was completely hidden, as was Cygnus and the Summer Triangle.

But in the NE, Venus was rising, and whoa, was it orange! Or so it appeared through our atmosphere. Wink Then when it got to about 10° above the horizon, that orange fled, and this very bright planet was its normal shining white again.

Mars and the Pleiades were still lovely near each other. The fingernail of the Moon was beautiful in the eastern sky. The earthshine was strong, really stunning!

I had a treat too: below and to the left of Jupiter, around 5:40 a.m., appeared quite a bright dot. I knew no other bright stars were in the sky in that position at that time, so kept my eye on it. For awhile it looked like it was still (I found out later it was coming towards me), but then I caught some movement, after which this ramped up as it headed almost straight towards the Moon. It was, of course, the ISS, and what a beautiful sight, as it passed to the right of the Moon, all the way from South to ENE. Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 24, 2022 9:51 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Those unexpected ISS passes are a pleasant surprise, aren't they?

We're entering my favorite time of year for stargazing: lengthening, yet comfortable nights, often with low humidity and few mosquitoes (in recent years, due to persistent drought). It's easy to sit out and enjoy the stars at any time of night. The evening sky features the Summer Triangle descending in the west, and the comparatively empty autumn skies following in the east. This year blazing Jupiter breaks up the dimmer fall skies.

And in the morning, Orion and company are coming into view and can be leisurely enjoyed without freezing. Jupiter remains in the southwest while bright Mars is keeping Aldebaran and the Pleiades company. It's just wonderful.

In less stellar news ( 😉 ) during a recent backup I appear to have lost or corrupted both copies of my observations for 2022. Alas, records for over 250 observations, as well as nature and other notes, appear to be gone. We're trying various software options for recovery. But the important thing is the stargazing, not the notes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 26, 2022 7:28 pm
johobbit
(@jo)
Posted by: @stargazer

We're entering my favorite time of year for stargazing:

Hear-hear, oh yes!

Jupiter remains in the southwest while bright Mars is keeping Aldebaran and the Pleiades company. It's just wonderful.

Truly! I was wondering what that brighter star was to the lower left of Mars, and was coming home to look at my Planisphere, when I remembered your post here, and ran to look. Giggle I am only getting to spot Aldebaran's position this year - between Orion and the Pleiades. All righty. Star  

Sirius was sparkling again this morning, while it took me a short while to see Venus, as there was a low, dark cloud bank near the eastern horizon. There was a star between high Capella in the east and the top of Orion, which I cannot pinpoint. I mean, I can see it, and wonder what it is. I could look on our Planisphere, but thought I would ask here too. Smile  

The Summer Triangle is sinking into the West, so much so that I could not see Altair, although the very western horizon had some haze. Same with Saturn in the SW around 5:30 a.m. ... that same haze hid it from view as it set.

A beautiful morning for walking (dropped to 8C / 46.4F) before this day heats up, with a lot of humidity. However, that is changing come Tuesday (rain!), when I will be able to walk under the night sky most mornings for months now. Grin

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2022 4:52 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@jo 

Late summer and early fall is probably the best time of the year for stargazing. I have have pleasant memories of seeing the constellations of Cygnus the Swan and Aquila the Eagle and their beautiful stars in my small telescope many years ago when the night skies were better. At least it is a very lovely time of the year here in Michigan. The night air is very fresh at this time of the year because the humidity is usually gone and the stars are more clearly visible.  Usually the weather is good at least some of the time.  I like the scent of the night air too. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 28, 2022 6:57 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @jo

...and the top of Orion, which I cannot pinpoint. I mean, I can see it, and wonder what it is. I could look on our Planisphere, but thought I would ask here too.

The top of Orion is rather unremarkable from here in the city, except for its location in one of the most recognizable constellations. It has the rather prosaic name of Lambda Orionis (Meissa is its proper name but I had to look it up). At magnitude 3.39 it's not terribly bright in city lights.

I went out around 5.30 this morning and found both Procyon and Sirius quite easily for the first time this season. It's nice to see them again. Venus remained too low and out of sight; I may not see it again before it passes superior conjunction (behind the sun) late in October.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 29, 2022 1:43 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

Wups, in my post ^, some words before "high Capella in the east" somehow got erased, which I have now corrected.  So, yeah, there was a star diagonally between Capella and the top of Orion that stood out a bit, and I am wondering what that is. Hmmm, I wonder if that was Meissa/Lambda Orionis (thanks, @stargazer)?? I will have to take better note next time. Giggle  

For a couple of mornings now, the temperature is too hot to allow me to walk, but Wednesday morning I will be out again, as a cool front is coming through, and should be sticking around for awhile. Applause  

Glad you saw Sirius, stargazer. Smile I don't know Procyon, and will now try to learn this star's placement.

@narnian78, truly, Autumn is a marvelous time for stargazing under those crisp, clear skies. I also enjoy viewing the night sky in the winter months, although one has to bundle up a bit more for longer-term viewing. Even shorter-term sometime if the temperatures are frigid. Giggle I also love the scent of the air in the colder months. Smile

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 29, 2022 2:26 pm
Narnian78 liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

It's clearer now, Jo, thanks. I wasn't sure if I was interpreting your post correctly. I think the star you have in mind is El Nath (Beta Tauri), which forms the far end of the pentagon shape of Auriga (Capella's constellation). It also forms one of the horns of Taurus (the other is much fainter Zeta Tau, which continues along that same line from Capella to Betelgeuse).

Procyon is a respectably bright star all by itself to the lower left of Betelgeuse; with that star and Sirius it forms the Winter Triangle. (Trivia note: its name means "before the dog" -Sirius- since it rises shortly before Sirius does. At the other end of the sky, it stays above the horizon quite a while after Sirius sets).

We're predicted to have spectacular late-summer weather the rest of the week, and I have a good idea of how I'll be spending at least some of each evening.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 29, 2022 5:09 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Thanks for that, @stargazer. (I need to consistently proofread my posts before clicking "Reply". Tongue ) I spotted Meissa these past few mornings, as I have been out before dawn lights up the sky too much. Smile  

In less stellar news ( Wink ) during a recent backup I appear to have lost or corrupted both copies of my observations for 2022. Alas, records for over 250 observations, as well as nature and other notes, appear to be gone. We're trying various software options for recovery. But the important thing is the stargazing, not the notes.

I meant to comment on this. Really sorry to hear of this signficant loss. You keep meticulous records of your star gazing, and it makes me sad to think these may be gone. Any progress toward recovery at this point?  Yet, true, the actual stargazing is the most important, but your notes represent that, and I hope you can retrieve them somehow.

The past few morning viewings have been beautiful for night-sky gazing, as Orion continues to rise in the SE. For a few days, the Pleiades, Mars, and Aldebaran drove a straight line down to Orion's left shoulder, Bellatrix. I wish I could stay up long enough to view Sagittarius and Scorpius in the S - SW awhile after sunset, but I'm usually asleep by then. Giggle Venus is lower and lower on the eastern horizon, but still very bright before dawn, and even for a bit after. Jupiter is high in the SW at that same time (pre-dawn into dawn).

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 3, 2022 8:12 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I wonder if anyone here owns and uses expensive star atlases. I still have my Norton’s 2000, which was around $50 when I bought it about twenty years ago, but I didn’t see much need to purchase a new one since it is fine for ordinary use and it is much more portable than the more expensive atlases that are made for observatories. Norton’s is fine for binoculars and small telescope and it is easy to use even under a light polluted sky.  I also have an old Edmund Mag 6 atlas and an even smaller one that I was given for Christmas many years ago. It’s a nostalgic experience to look through old astronomy books. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 4, 2022 5:01 am
Page 51 / 62
Share: