Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Astronomy: Adventures in Stargazing

Page 47 / 62
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Venus is bright enough to be seen in the daytime, though the trick is knowing exactly where to look. I think it's easiest to do this when Venus is out in the morning (as it is now), since you can go out in twilight (when it's easily visible) and follow it until after the sun rises. It's trickier when Venus is an evening object, since you have to find it before sunset.

One way to make it easier is to find it in twilight, when it's easily visible, then note the details and look for it later from the same spot and in about the same place.

Another trick (one I used this morning) is to wait for those days when the Moon passes nearby, and use it as a guidepost.

Tomorrow morning (Sunday in the Western Hemisphere) is one such opportunity.  The Moon will be about 10 degrees above Venus, so if you can find the Moon Venus should be possible. Binoculars help a lot (keep away from the sun, of course!).

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 26, 2022 12:09 pm
Narnian78 liked
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Right now the planetary action favors early risers (except for Mercury making a good evening appearance later in April). If you're out and about around dawn, and have a good view to the southeast horizon, the other naked-eye planets will be putting on a show from now into May.

Right now Mars, Venus, and Saturn are fairly close together; in a few weeks Jupiter will join the festivities. Keep an eye on "This Week's Sky at a Glance" (updated each Friday) over on SkyandTelescope.org for details.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 28, 2022 5:53 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

I stepped out shortly before 6 am daylight time this morning, just in time to enjoy the sight of Mars and Saturn, about 1 degree apart, looking like a pair of faint eyes low in the southeast, with Venus looking on from about 6 degrees away.  All 3 planets were parallel to the horizon and it was a very pretty sight.  Before long the growing twilight washed them away.

The next few days will definitely be worth getting up early for if you enjoy planetary conjunctions.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 3, 2022 12:15 pm
fantasia and johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)
SO mod; WC captain Moderator

Excellent, @stargazer! I had the same experience yesterday morning, as it was one of the few clear mornings this time of year. What a sight! The burning eye of Venus, then Saturn and Mars to the right, close in conjunction. Star I held my baby finger up at arm's length and the tip of it completely covered those latter two, they were that close. Beautiful! As the rest of this week is forecast rainy, I was thrilled to have this stunning sight early Monday morning. Smile  

My early morning walks these days cannot not be completed anymore in the dark, which I miss. The dawn comes partway through, which can be lovely in itself (depending on any arrangement of clouds). But as summer approaches here in SW Ontario, I begin to get rather down about missing these crisp nights and easily seeing the wonders of the dark sky at both ends of the day. Ah well, that time will come again. *already wishes to jump toward the end of August* Wink  

This morning on my walk, it was very cloudy, so nary a planet or star to be seen. However, the clouds have their own great beauty: the textures and hues of the vast greyness was beautiful in its own right. Smile

Signature by Narnian_Badger, thanks! (2013)
7,237 posts from Forum 1.0

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 5, 2022 5:56 am
stargazer liked
johobbit
(@jo)

This morning was another clear one, with clouds moving across the sky a couple of hours later. I was out walking at my usual early time and again saw bright Venus, with Mars and Saturn close by, but the latter two were a bit further from each other this morning, compared to yesterday. I think Saturn has now passed Mars, placing Saturn on the outer edge, with Mars between Venus and Saturn, but much closer to the latter. Jupiter should be joining them in a couple of weeks, and I am eager to see all four planets in the sky the mornings of latter April, along with the beautiful crescent Moon. Grin  

For more, see: https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/sky-tour-podcast-april-2022/ Smile  

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 6, 2022 9:11 am
johobbit
(@jo)

This is the fourth morning in the row the sky has been clear enough to view the three planets in the eastern sky. Dancing Except for one day that remained mostly sunny, the other three days clouded over, one with a fair bit of rain, so the treat of clear skies pre-dawn into dawn this week has been such a gift!

In the western sky this morning a huge cloud mass was moving eastward: alto-cumulus ('clumpy clouds'). Quite the gorgeous sky views both westward and in the eastern sky!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 7, 2022 6:41 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That sounds awesome, @Jo!  Except for the morning observation I mentioned above, it's been cloudy here, with cool rain and snow mixing in.  Great for the drought but not for seeing planets in the dawn sky.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 7, 2022 12:55 pm
johobbit
(@jo)

Ahhh, I hope that changes soon, @stargazer, especially this week as Jupiter is joining the other three planets.

I saw the three (Venus, Mars, Saturn) this morning again. A cold, crisp dawn here, beautiful! See Sky & Telescope for more— https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/this-weeks-sky-at-a-glance-april-8-16-2/, but I am hoping to spot Jupiter tomorrow morning, as this may be the last clear morning for at least a few days (rain or snow settles in). It may have been seen this morning, but I forgot to bring my long-distance glasses with me, boohoo! I am eager for this sight! Will be up just after between 5:15 and 5:30 to start walking before 6. Smile The dawn has barely begun by then, and Jupiter is just above the horizon in the glowing east, so I'm not sure I will be able to spot the gas giant or not.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 11, 2022 6:20 am
stargazer liked
johobbit
(@jo)

This morning was the morning! Grin I started on my walk a bit early (5:50), making my way to my favourite wide vista viewing point toward the east by the Old Silo barely outside our village. On the first part of my walk, Venus was there is all its beauty, with Mars and Saturn just under 10° away. (Mars and Saturn were about 5° apart.) The sky was completely clear ... except for a low range of clouds about 3° up from the horizon, which hid Jupiter right then, but lo and behold! when I arrived at the Old Silo and that glorious view opened up, I caught a glimpse out of my peripheral vision of a bright spot just newly risen above the cloud bank ... Jupiter in the early dawn sky! Applause

So, there they were: Jupiter (16 or 17° from Venus), the bright eye of Venus to its upper right, then further right, Mars and Saturn. The latter two disappeared as the dawn's light grew (I watched them as long as I could); Jupiter lasted a bit longer, even though it was closer to the dawn; and Venus, of course, I could see for awhile yet, nearly until I arrived home (right before 7 a.m.).

What a thrilling treat to view this planetary line-up, particularly as the rest of this work week is bringing clouds, rain, and possibly even snow, shuttering the night sky for the next few days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 12, 2022 5:42 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

That sounds awesome, Jo! The storms you mention are our weather now, so it was overcast again this morning. (However, I was able to check out the Moon last night and again this morning around 2.30, and the clouds came later). I'm looking forward to seeing the early-morning planets after this weather passes (it's expected to be cloudy/rainy/snowy into next week).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 12, 2022 1:21 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

This morning offered a chance to see the planets, so I stepped outside around 5.30 local time.  The Moon shone in the southwest, and twilight was already making it hard to see Mars and Saturn in the southeast.  I had to walk a few blocks to get a good view in that direction, and while Venus was easy, trees kept me from seeing Jupiter so low in the east. It shouldn't be long before it rises high enough to be seen over the foreground objects.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 19, 2022 3:26 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Excellent, @stargazer, that you had that viewing yesterday morning. Smile I hope you can add Jupiter soon, as it rises higher.

Monday's planetary view for me was lovely, as well. As I walked, hazy clouds covered Mars and Saturn at times, but there was a brief period when I could see all four from my favourite clear eastward-looking vantage point ... what I have dubbed The Old Silo. The four planets were approximately equidistant from each other (according to my very limited view from earth Wink ). Really cool. Beautiful!

Yesterday's walk was snowy and really lovely in its own way, as that beautiful white stuff blanketed everything. The huge evergreens were especially picturesque. But, snow means clouds, so while my walk was again invigorating, no planets or anything night-sky related were to be seen.

This morning, however, was a different story. Clear, clear sky. Cold, crisp temperatures. Exhilarating! I ran to The Old Silo (just east of our village) because there is such a short window in which to view all four planets. Sure enough, they they were. (As if they'd go anywhere. Giggle ) I never tire of such sights. This was at 6 a.m. local time.

By 6:08, Mars had completely faded in the growing dawn;

by 6:10, Saturn had gone;

6:23, Jupiter disappeared;

Venus, around 6:35.

The waning Gibbous Moon was stunning in the SW sky.

Again, I exclaim, "The heavens declare the glory of God"!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2022 5:34 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

A delightful description, Jo!

I was fascinated by your time notes. Mars and Saturn were invisible to me by 5.50 local daylight time, about 20 minutes before they were for you. The calendar geek in me figures that it's partly due to my higher latitude (twilight is longer here in the summer half of the year), but primarily due to the fact that you are farther west in your time zone than I am in mine (making twilight and sunrise come a bit later).

In any case, the planets and the Moon were very pretty. (It's raining here today, so it will be a few days before I can try again).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 20, 2022 6:56 pm
johobbit liked
johobbit
(@jo)

Interesting re the times, @stargazer!

This morning's viewing was thus, after a while of standing in awe of that lovely four-planet sight in the eastern sky:

Mars and Saturn became invisible at 6:05 a.m.; Jupiter at 6:22. Venus under ten minutes later.

It was a perfectly clear sky this morning, around -5 (including a slight wind chill). Really beautiful for walking and viewing! I won't have a chance to see the planets and Moon tomorrow morning (rain!) but Sunday morning I might.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 22, 2022 5:23 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Glad you're enjoying the early-morning view! It was cloudy with light rain here this morning (and remains overcast now).

The city will be working on local streets this summer, and ahead of that some very large trees were removed yesterday, including one across the street to the west. There are other trees in that direction so it remains to be seen how much my view might be improved (it'll be easier to tell once the leaves come out).

With all the action in the morning, I almost forgot about the evening appearance of Mercury. Last evening I went out in mid-twilight (around 8.48 pm) and easily spotted the elusive planet about 10 degrees high in the west-northwest (in a gap between some other trees). It was a pleasant evening (around 50F/10C), so I pulled up a chair and watched the stars come out. Orion is sinking fast in the west, but Sirius still dominates the southwest. Orange Arcturus is well up in the east now. Mercury became easier to see as the sky darkened, and remained above houses and trees until I went in the house about 35 minutes later. It's a wonderful time to stargaze, with no humidity or mosquitoes, yet warm enough to relax outside.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 22, 2022 6:35 pm
johobbit liked
Page 47 / 62
Share: