Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] American Girl

Page 1 / 11
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Hello!
I don't think this thread has been re-opened yet. If it has been, mods, please delete!
Here, talk about the American Girl dolls, store, movies...
The last thread, opened by FreckleFacedJill, started to get popular!
We were talking about... Oh, yes, mini dolls.

Topic starter Posted : September 6, 2009 11:53 am
americangirlemmie
(@americangirlemmie)
NarniaWeb Nut

I have all the original mini dolls. I got them back in 2003. I really like them and still have all their original stuff.

Co-founder - NW for HP & The Missing Club

Posted : September 18, 2009 7:51 am
Rachel111
(@rachel111)
NarniaWeb Regular

I don't have any doll's but I get the magazine. :)

Hello! My name is Rachel. But just call me Chel.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... 06x331.jpg
A picture of my favorite band, The Arcade Fire.

Posted : September 18, 2009 8:02 am
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

The magazine rocks! But the only problem I have with it is the "follow your heart" and "believe in yourself" stuff. The focus on you.

Topic starter Posted : September 18, 2009 3:33 pm
true_narnia_forever
(@true_narnia_forever)
NarniaWeb Regular

Yeah, I didn't really like that either. I really like the "shining star" section, where they feature a girl who is making a difference in their community. :)

Aslan's Country, the Narnia forum I co-administrate!
My Blog!

Posted : September 18, 2009 4:23 pm
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Yes, that section is very good, and the focus is much better because it's about making a difference, not about being you and controlling your life independently.

Topic starter Posted : September 19, 2009 2:57 pm
americangirlemmie
(@americangirlemmie)
NarniaWeb Nut

I only dislike the fact that the magazines never have Addy Kirsten or Kaya. I know they aren't very popular but they still should have them in thee magazines.

Co-founder - NW for HP & The Missing Club

Posted : September 20, 2009 4:33 am
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Yes. Kaya was one of my favorites, as was Addy and Kirsten. Not many girls favor those three, especially Addy. They have really good stories.
Another discussion we had on the other forum was about Samantha and Rebecca. Why'd they have to replace Samantha with Rebecca? Kinda frustrating, as it is frustrating that American Girl kinda "ignores" the other dolls they themselves have created. Those 3 dolls should get the spotlight, too!

Topic starter Posted : September 20, 2009 9:25 am
Follower of Aslan
(@follower-of-aslan)
NarniaWeb Nut

What's this with replacing Samantha??? Did Rebecca actually replace her???
I loved Samantha and really wanted her when I was younger! Ah, well...

Right now I have Molly, but she just sits on my shelf collecting dust.

I love looking through the magazines. I actually kinda collect them. (eh, well, so what if I'm practically in college?) ;) I have some pretty old ones back from the nineties I think (no Kit, Kaya, or any of the minor character dolls from the stories like Elizabeth and Emily)

I actually had to mail a letter to them once, as part of a school assignment (picking a magazine to send a letter to). I asked them why they did not show more of their items in the magazine.

The *official First Follower of Aslan
Keeper of Susan's Grey Coat.
Avy:Badger
Sig:Beautiful_ltdwn

Posted : September 20, 2009 1:51 pm
narnianjedi
(@narnianjedi)
NarniaWeb Regular

Rebecca didn't exactly replace Samantha. She's Russian and and 10 years apart from Samantha I think. And they might bring Samantha back sometime in the future.
I have two dolls (Samantha and Elizabeth) but no mini dolls.
I love the magazine (with dolls for sale) in it! It's cool to see the new things that come out. I don't get the magazine for girls, but I sometimes check it out at the library here.

May the force be with you!
I LOVE Pixar & Disneyland!!!!

Posted : September 21, 2009 5:35 am
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Not technically replace.
Yes, but on the old forum, we could list tons of similarities between Sam and Becca.
1. They live in about the same time period.
2. They have trouble with traditions.
3. Nellie and the girl in Rebecca's story are so similar (sorry, forgot)
4. They look quite alike

Here, wait, I'll go to the old NarniaWeb and find our discussion:

Yes! Samantha was one of the FIRST dolls they made...I don't understand why they had to take her out and put one in her place who's almost exactly like her...

First, Rebecca lives in NY, like Samantha, and only 10 years after. [and still in roughly Victorian times] Then, there's this whole thing of her grandparents having high expectations/traditions and not allowing/wanting her to do things that other people are doing. But of course, she gets caught up in the latest things - encouraged by her Uncle Max [and for Samantha it was Uncle Gard and Aunt Cornelia] There's kind of this process of the girl [Samantha/Rebecca] learning to respect their authority/traditions [Bubbie/Grandmary] and the grandparent giving in a little...

There's also the factory thing, and having a best friend who was of a lower class. That, honestly really, really bugged me. Ana/Nellie used to work in a factory, and Rebecca/Samantha doesn't really know anything about it until she has a firsthand experience from Ana/Nellie, and then make some huge speech about it that gets a lot of attention.

Also having Rebecca/Samantha bringing Ana/Nellie to school and having problems because they were of lower class or didn't know as much...anyway.

Yeah, here's the link to our discussion: http://209.210.60.109/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22722&PN=3

There you go. That's why we felt that Rebecca "replaced" Samantha.

Topic starter Posted : September 21, 2009 2:00 pm
narnianjedi
(@narnianjedi)
NarniaWeb Regular

OK. Wow. I really didn't know that they had THAT much in common. I haven't actually read any of Rebecca's books yet.

May the force be with you!
I LOVE Pixar & Disneyland!!!!

Posted : September 22, 2009 2:48 pm
NaiadWaker
(@naiadwaker)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Yeah, I haven't read the books, but I felt that she had "replaced" Samantha, because Rebecca came as soon as Sam left. :(

I have a Kit mini doll, but I lost her microscopic clip, and a Just Like You Dool, and Samantha.

Topic starter Posted : September 23, 2009 4:08 pm
Follower of Aslan
(@follower-of-aslan)
NarniaWeb Nut

Wow! I had no idea that Rebecca was that simular to Samantha!! So currently, you cannot buy Samantha or Nellie or any of their products? Will they still do Doll Hospitals for them? (I'd assume so, since you can send any of their products in for replair, right?)

A friend of mine had ordered a horse for one (or more, possibly) of her dolls. It was actually pretty neat, well made IMO.

How are the Just Like You Dolls? Did you order it to look like yourself? How did it come out?

The *official First Follower of Aslan
Keeper of Susan's Grey Coat.
Avy:Badger
Sig:Beautiful_ltdwn

Posted : September 24, 2009 2:35 pm
daughter of the King
(@dot)
Princess Dot Moderator

I've only read the first three Rebecca books, but she is a lot like Samantha. One thing my sister pointed out was a story about a Jewish family in New York city around that same time was already done. And it's based on a real family. It's "All of a Kind Family."
I don't have any mini dolls. The only doll I have is Josefina. She's in the attic somewhere.................

ahsokasig
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal

Posted : September 25, 2009 4:50 pm
Page 1 / 11
Share: