Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

2024 Paris Olympics

stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Some early competition has already begun for this year's Summer Olympic Games, hosted by Paris. The official opening ceremony will be on Friday, July 26, with events continuing until the closing ceremonies on August 11.

Over 10,000 athletes from over 200 nations will compete. This year's motto is games wide open (Ouvrons grand les Jeux).

Do you watch Olympic coverage? What are you looking forward to seeing:

The pomp of the opening and closing ceremonies?
The joy of athletes at the medal ceremonies?
The athletic competition?

New this year will be a parade of boats carrying the athletes on the Seine during the opening ceremony.

Which sports do you enjoy watching?  Are there "do not miss" events you can't wait to see?

Let the Games (and the discussion) begin!

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 23, 2024 2:27 pm
starkat
(@starkat)
Member Moderator

I wish I could see the equestrian competition. It's always either on cable or behind a pay wall only because it doesn't draw as much sponsor money. I'll have to make do with YouTube clips.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 23, 2024 7:58 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator
Posted by: @stargazer

This year's motto is games wide open (Ouvrons grand les Jeux).

That's brilliant! It's a pun on 'Eyes (les yeux) wide open'.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2024 12:18 am
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

I hope to at least catch the fencing competitions; I recently took up fencing and it turns out one of the contestants had the same instructor as me! 

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 24, 2024 4:44 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

Nice, Cleander!

I especially enjoy watching the swimming and gymnastics competitions, and a few weeks ago the US gymnastics qualifying finals were right here in downtown Minneapolis. I wasn't going to fight the traffic and crowds to see it in person, but had a great view without leaving my couch. 😉

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : July 24, 2024 12:51 pm
Cobalt Jade
(@cobalt-jade)
NarniaWeb Nut

I love watching the opening ceremonies, all the spectacle of it, especially when all the athletes march out in the parade. It's like a fashion show for me seeing what everyone's wearing 😆 I'm on sick leave from work so I'll have plenty time to watch this year, I just have to figure out wear and when -- we have streaming and sometimes that's hard to figure out.

As for sports? I like the gymnastics of course, men's and ladie's, and the sprinters and hurdles. The breakdancing too is they televise it, and the surfing though I think that's in Tahiti this year. And the pole vaulters.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 25, 2024 8:48 am
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator

The opening ceremony was pretty spectacular, though I don't envy everyone having to endure hours of steady rain.

The performance of the French national anthem was impressive. But I think my favorite opening anthem of any Olympics is still Julie Anthony's performance of "Advance Australia Fair" at the Sydney 2000 opening. It still gives me goosebumps, and I'm not even an Aussie!

In my area, lots of attention has been given to gymnast Suni Lee and swimmer Regan Smith, both of whom have won medals, since they are local athletes.

It was also fun watching the local crowds cheer on Frenchman Leon Marchand, who has won 3 gold medals in swimming - especially in the breaststroke, when they chanted loudly each time his head came out of the water.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : August 1, 2024 6:09 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

My country has finally won a few medals, which makes us proud.😀😀😀

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 2, 2024 5:50 am
fantasia and starkat liked
Share: