Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Favorite Christian message from Narnia?

Page 5 / 5
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)
Secret Garden Agent Moderator

It's really tough to choose. There are so many good ones. I suppose there also may be somewhat of a distinction from "Christian message" and Lewis's personal theology, but it's all thought-provoking and very often extremely inspiring. :)

One of my favorites is Puddleglum's triumphant monologue. The Lady of the Green Kirtle's hypnotism and verbal trickery has come perilously close to talking Rilian, Eustace, Jill and even Puddleglum out of believing in Narnia and Aslan competely. Even when Puddleglum begins his final rebuttal, he says, "All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder." But he still goes on to say that he's on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it, and that he's going to live as like a Narnian as he can even if there isn't any Narnia, and that he's going to spend the rest of his life looking for Overland.

I feel like this is very relevant to Christians especially because we all go through times—sometimes very extended periods of time—where we cannot feel God's presence. We remember moments when believing was easy, like how Puddleglum recalls Narnia and says that the Green Witch can't make him forget it: not the sky full of stars, nor the brilliance of the sun. But like Puddleglum, so often we find that the Witch is in our ear, sowing doubt that even these memories of true faith and relationship with God ever happened or had validity until we find we can hardly believe in them anymore either.

Like Puddleglum, we need to remember to keep on calling out to God and reaching for the Truth when the spiritual darkness is closing in around us and making us feel as though He isn't there anymore. Even when Puddleglum was standing right on the precipice of unbelief, he still had the courage and fortitude to say "I am of the Light and not of the Darkness", and that is what finally broke the Witch's spell.

Thematically, it reminds me a lot of how Jesus still cried out to the Father on the cross. Even when it seemed he had been forsaken by God, Jesus still called out to God has his God. And even in the very moment where it seemed they had been abandoned, Puddleglum still affirmed that he was on Aslan's side, no matter what.

This is what Puddleglum's monologue has come to mean for me, and I find it to be deeply inspirational and comforting.

Posted : July 8, 2014 10:32 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I often find the message of staying strong and keeping to what you know is true, when there is deceit and falseness around.
That is encouraging, not just to keep trying, but also to know I am not alone in this experience.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

Posted : July 11, 2014 7:40 pm
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

It's been a very long time since I first read the Chronicles, and yet I can still remember being touched by the spiritual aspects of the books - especially in HHB. In addition to the passages in which Shasta encounters Aslan for the first time, which include an apparent reference to the Trinity and Shasta falling to his feet in worship, there's the overarching theme of the book, which I think is the loving sovereignty of Aslan - even in the lives of those who don't know him and thus are totally unaware of it. I think this is best summed up when Aslan says:

"I was the lion…who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."

This is one of my favorite passages in all the books. :) Just the power of this still, quiet forest, and hearing a Great voice saying, "I Am the one who has watched over you, I Am the one who guides you." It's a beautiful, beautiful scene, encapsulating what it feels like to realize, for/as if for the first time, just who God really is in our lives.

I think Aslan, in general, is another favorite Christian message of mine. I've been a Christian all my life and was raised in a Christian home and in church, so sometimes... it's hard to think about the Gospel with the same kind of wonder as I should. It's so easy to take it all for granted. Aslan, though, is presented so well--with so much mystery, gentleness, strength, ferocity, nobility--that I begin to remember again: the real Christ is even better.

Another message that resonates with me has to do with Aslan choosing children like Edmund, Eustace, and Jill. Eustace was a self-serving brat; Edmund was similar, to the point of betraying his family over it. As fantasia_kitty mentioned earlier, Jill was constantly so caught up in her own miseries that she couldn't see straight. And yet, Aslan chose these children, set them on adventures that would help them grow past that... and loved them all the same throughout the whole process. Such a great reminder that, above and beyond God using ordinary people for extraordinary things, He can even use those that anyone else might so easily give up on.

As Wikipedia notes in quoting C.S. Lewis's words from his work Of Other Worlds:

"Some people seem to think that I began by asking myself how I could say something about Christianity to children; then fixed on the fairy tale as an instrument, then collected information about child psychology and decided what age group I’d write for; then drew up a list of basic Christian truths and hammered out 'allegories' to embody them. This is all pure moonshine. I couldn’t write in that way. It all began with images; a faun carrying an umbrella, a queen on a sledge, a magnificent lion. At first there wasn't anything Christian about them; that element pushed itself in of its own accord."

And, I think this is why the Chronicles are so beloved, while all the time conveying such deep messages--even while other stories, which are pretty clearly written with the message in mind, tend to seem so superficial. C.S. Lewis started with characters, stories, and an adventurous world, and the things that shaped his worldview showed up naturally there.

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

Posted : July 19, 2014 2:09 pm
waggawerewolf27
(@waggawerewolf27)
Member Hospitality Committee

"I was the lion…who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you."

Yes, I do agree that this particular quotation from HHB is one of my most favourite bits. That in Narnia, at least, that there is a rhyme and reason for whatever happened to me. Some other bits I've enjoyed immensely, in HHB, at any rate, is King Lune's description of what it means to be a king, ie a leader. And I suspect this particular message, whether it is seen as Christian or not, is re-iterated elsewhere in the series.

"...to be first in every desperate attack and last in every desperate retreat, and when there is hunger in the land (as must be every now and then in bad years) to wear finer clothes and laugh louder over a scantier meal than any man in your land"

Christian leadership isn't really about domination of underlings. God is the leader over all. Or Aslan in Narnia. Not the king thinking he will live forever and can command instant obedience. Or the Tisroc's son's casual cruelty. Leadership is about example, getting others to co-operate in a team, vision, goals and taking the risks oneself. It is a good message to carry when put in charge of others for any reason. In various other ways in the Narnia series we see how the villains behave to others and how the good guys - Prince Caspian, himself, for instance - behave towards others.

Posted : July 26, 2014 1:52 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)

Wonderful thoughts, coracle, Rya and wagga!

While I've seen that this can be somewhat controversial among Narnia fans, one of my favorite "Christian messages" in the Chronicles of Narnia is embodied in the character and journey of Emeth. Aside from the fact that his Calormene-style storytelling is lovely to read when he relates to the reader his encounter with Aslan, it's full of meaning and hope as well.

I don't think that Lewis was saying that you can get into Aslan's Country even if you don't believe in Aslan, but rather you can get into Aslan's Country if you are ready and willing to believe in Aslan when you see his face and sit between his paws. After all, the Dwarfs were "in" Aslan's Country; they just didn't know it. Emeth knew it because he allowed himself to see it; unlike the Dwarfs, he wasn't so self-absorbed that he was blind to the truth. In fact, he was so unconscious of his own personal safety and comfort that he was willing to walk through the stable door in his quest for truth and God.

In some ways, I think everyone has a little bit of Emeth in them. We're all barking up the wrong tree in some way or another. It may be a little thing or a big thing, but we fallen humans certainly haven't got everything right. The important thing through it all is that we continue to seek truth and holiness and be ready to embrace it when we meet it. That seems to be the fundamental difference between the Calormene who had worshiped Tash all his life and the Narnian Dwarfs who refused to be taken in: Emeth sought the light, while the Dwarfs shut their eyes.

Lewis writes that all will find what they seek. It seems that if you earnestly seek truth and goodness, then you will eventually find it. :)

Posted : July 31, 2014 6:59 pm
Silly Girl
(@fallen-embers)
NarniaWeb Regular

I think it's the relationship between Lucy and Aslan..the childlike faith in God.

I even want to add that I think the most powerful scene is in VDT, where Lucy reads the spell to make invisible visible, and Aslan is there. It's such a great way of conveying that God is always there, watching us like a guardian.

For tomorrow may rain, so I'll follow the Sun.

Posted : August 22, 2016 10:18 am
WikkidPerson
(@wikkidperson)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I was raised in a quite strict Plymouth Brethren household and church, which seemed to focus more on hell than upon heaven. My imagining of heaven was a bit "thin," I guess you could say, partly as a result. The Last Battle provided me with the first imagining of heaven that sounded at all appealing.

Posted : September 5, 2016 8:16 am
The Rose-Tree Dryad
(@rose)

I think it's the relationship between Lucy and Aslan..the childlike faith in God.

I even want to add that I think the most powerful scene is in VDT, where Lucy reads the spell to make invisible visible, and Aslan is there. It's such a great way of conveying that God is always there, watching us like a guardian.

I love the representation of childlike faith found in Lucy as well. That scene where Lucy is reading the book of spells and Aslan becomes visible is one of my favorites!

That also makes me think of another favorite message of mine from Chronicles of Narnia... the providence of Aslan made visible to Shasta during their conversation on the misty mountaintop. I get chills every time I read that scene, and wonder what the conversation would be like if God were telling me my own story.

I was raised in a quite strict Plymouth Brethren household and church, which seemed to focus more on hell than upon heaven. My imagining of heaven was a bit "thin," I guess you could say, partly as a result. The Last Battle provided me with the first imagining of heaven that sounded at all appealing.

Wow, it's so neat that reading those last chapters of LB helped awaken your imagination to what heaven might be like! It's very interesting and heartening to think of children encountering certain aspects of God and theology for the first time through Narnia. Welcome to NarniaWeb, by the way. :)

Posted : September 5, 2016 10:42 am
Page 5 / 5
Share: