Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Would you rather have the series end at Voyage of the Dawn Treader or Last Battle?

KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

At the end of VDT, C.S Lewis closes off the book. All the Pevensies return to their own world, never to come back to Narnia again. Caspian's story is closed off with him marrying Ramandu's daughter. Eustace is left with a slight mystery of whether or not he'll come back, and most of all Narnia is left as the beautiful country the Pevensie's first saw it as. 

However, in LB, all of Narnia turns into a wreckage. Calmoren soldiers  invaded, Talking animals killed, Narnians divided, and most of all the name of Aslan misused in the most horrible ways. However, though Narnia ends, we are brought the beautiful land of Aslan's Country and Narnians are happy and at peace forever. 

Would you have preferred the series end at VDT or LB? Hmmm  

-KingEdTheJust

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 13, 2022 4:42 pm
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I really loved the ending of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but in order to complete the Narnia series we have to have The Last Battle and its wonderful ending, which is as good as Dawn Treader’s. I don’t think the series would have been complete as a trilogy, but seven books are needed to tell the entire story of Narnia. Some of Lewis’ finest writing is in the last four books, including The Last Battle, which tells us of the final days of Narnia. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2022 4:57 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

Great question! In a word...no. 

While I prefer The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as a book, (though not by a huge margin), The Last Battle is the better finale. It provides more closure and includes all those cameos from characters from past books. Plus, if the series ended with VDT, there would be no Silver Chair, no Horse and his Boy, no Magician's Nephew. I don't want to live in that world.

Also, we're all mortal. We knew Narnia was going to end sometime even if C. S. Lewis didn't write about it. We might as well get to read about it happening in a spectacular fashion.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Col Klink

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2022 5:50 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

It is true that Walden ended the movie franchise with Voyage of the Dawn Treader. If Netflix or any other company's plan is to make all seven, then the most logical ending would be The Last Battle.

I am glad that CS Lewis didn't stop after Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It made sense that the series ended with The Last Battle because we get to "see" all the characters we know and love from Narnia's past.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 13, 2022 7:30 pm
Glenwit
(@glenwit)
NarniaWeb Nut

All things considered, I'm actually pretty happy with the previous series ending after VDT and having a premature if not bittersweet ending (it worked as that adaptation focused so heavily on the Pevensies).  

However, it's still my hope to one day see the whole series play out onscreen (because some of my favourite characters have yet to make an appearance in any adaptation!). 

This is the journey
This is the trial
For the hero inside us all
I can hear adventure call
Here we go

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2022 4:02 am
Gretel liked
Share: