Would you have struck the Bell?

KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

"Make your choice, adventurous Stranger;
        Strike the bell and bide the danger,
      Or wonder, till it drives you mad,
    What would have followed if you had." - Magician's Nephew

In Magician's Nephew, Digory is overcome by curiosity, to strike the bell on the pillar. If you were in Digory's position, would you  ring the bell and put yourself, and possibly others in danger, or would you live your life never knowing what would've happened? Hmmm  

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : June 28, 2021 8:58 pm
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@kingedthejust Good question! I've always preferred to think I'd be sensible like Polly is as soon as she and Digory see the bell and read the inscription — "No fear! ... We don't want any danger." But if I were actually in that situation myself, who knows... Giggle I would probably be too cautious (and too wary already of what we'd seen of the ruins of Charn so far) to deliberately do something that I'd been told would bring on danger. But I can't say for sure that I wouldn't be tempted at all.

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 8:57 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I’m afraid I would want to know what would happen if I struck the bell. Unsolved mysteries intrigue me too much. I can’t blame Digory for doing it. The temptation would be too much.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 12:49 pm
Cleander
(@the-mad-poet-himself)
NarniaWeb Guru

I'm a naturally curious person, but I feel like if the bell had a literal warning label on it like that, I'd at least hesitate...

For about 10 seconds.

PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club!
Did I mention I have a YouTube Channel?: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCeuUaOTFts5BQV3c-CPlo_g
Check out my site: https://madpoetscave.weebly.com

signature by aileth

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 29, 2021 10:29 pm
DiGoRyKiRkE
(@digorykirke)
The Logical Ornithological Mod Moderator

Great question!

Seeing as i had a magic ring in my pocket that could take me away at a second’s notice, i would’ve struck the bell and then probably vanished as soon as the room started crumbling

Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 30, 2021 8:07 am
Blue Jay
(@blue-jay)
NarniaWeb Regular

The bell was already rung be me 2 weeks ago- I mean, I think I would definitely ring it, mostly to see what would happen. My logic would be "what could possibly go wrong?" And of course face palm later. Whistling  

“Auntie, why was there a nurse living in our walls?"
- Random Personal Book Quote

ReplyQuote
Posted : August 3, 2022 10:32 pm
Share: