Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

When / where / how were you first introduced to Narnia?

Page 1 / 2
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

I'd love to hear others' stories of how they were first introduced to Narnia!

How old were you or what stage of life were you in at the time? Did you read the books first? Which one did you start with and what did you think of it? Did you go on to read the rest soon after, and in any particular order?

Or did you first encounter Narnia through an adaptation — the Walden movies or another screen version? Or maybe the radio plays (BBC or Focus on the Family), or even a stage performance? If so, again, what impression did it make on you — and then when you read the original books, were they any different from what you were expecting?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who'd like to share! Smile  

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 5, 2022 4:16 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I was introduced to the Narnia series as a ten year old. I remember getting The Magician's Nephew for my tenth birthday, then got The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe for Christmas. From then on, I've read the whole series. I was actually introduced to the series in 2003, during around the same time that  movie adaption from Walden was announced.

I've watched the 1970's animated adaption of The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe. It is good in itself, though the animation style is kind of dated, compared to today's animation. I was kind of sad that they've cut out Father Christmas.

I've also watched all of the BBC series, and while good in themselves, there were times the pacing got slow then other times when the pacing got too fast.

Then I've watched all three of the Walden movies. There are good in themselves, though they're not perfect. The third was more of a hit-miss, though, in comparison to the other two. The Green Mist was the last straw (not a good villain like the White Witch and Miraz).

Honestly, I can't say what adaption I've prefer the most. Well, and of course, I think we can all agree on that no company is perfect.

So anyhow, I was introduced to the Narnia series as a ten year old. But if you ask anyone if they've ever read the Narnia series, they might say, "Oh, I've read The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe", because that's the best known.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 5, 2022 5:55 pm
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I was in the third grade when our teacher read to us The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  In the fifth grade the same teacher read The Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy, and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  As an eight year old and ten year boy it was great to hear the stories, although it was years later that I actually read the books for myself from beginning to end. It is so good to have teachers with a talent for speaking and acting read the stories aloud and dramatize the characters. I think I was introduced to the books in the best possible way.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2022 9:44 am
Ryadian
(@rya)
Member Moderator

I'm afraid I don't actually remember my first introduction to Narnia. Giggle It was either my dad reading the books to us at bedtime, or watching the BBC Narnia specials. I think it was actually the former, but I don't actually remember it until we got the BBC tapes.

I liked the BBC tapes, but I don't think I really got into Narnia until a few things happened. One, my dad started reading the books to us again when I was old enough to remember (though I don't really remember when that was). Secondly, the Focus on the Family radio dramas came out, and I finally had an adaptation (albeit audio only) that covered all 7 books!

The last big catalyst was finding out about NarniaWeb, actually. I was 12 or 13, and finding out about a community that wanted to talk about the books - and reading some of their conversations - made me realize that the Narnia books were deeper than I'd ever realized. And, well, the rest is history (since that was 18 years ago!!).

N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 6, 2022 9:17 pm
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

When I was around 5 or 6, my parents got me a series of picture books by Deborah Maze adapted from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I loved them. Then they got the real LWW from our Church library and read it to me. When I was about halfway through, we were staying at a relative's house and watched their VHS of the BBC adaptation. 

I tried to read Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader after that (or rather my parents tried to read them to me) but couldn't really get into either. (Don't worry. I love them both now.) I did read The Horse and his Boy and The Magician's Nephew though and loved them. I read the rest of the books very slowly over the course of some years, which is very different from how I read series now, at least short series like The Chronicles of Narnia. Now when I find one that I really like, I read one book after another until I've finished the last one without reading any other books in between. Don't know why I didn't want to do that as a kid.

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2022 6:58 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I was first introduced to LWW aged 13, but quickly realised it was a children's book that I was too old for !

It was about 5 years later that the leader of our Sunday School team told me about Tolkien and Lewis. I was in my second year of an English Literature degree, and read them with an almost-adult viewpoint. Enjoyed them!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2022 12:26 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

I think when you read the series more than once, you kind of get a new perspective.

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2022 1:23 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena I only read a couple of chapters of LWW... it was like new to me, when I got the set myself.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 8, 2022 8:02 pm
stargazer
(@stargazer)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @rya

It was either my dad reading the books to us at bedtime, or watching the BBC Narnia specials...

I was very familiar with the books by then, but I got some new insights listening to them being read aloud. The scene in chapter 8 of HHB, where Aravis and Lasaraleen overhear the Tisroc and Vizier talking, is hilarious when heard.

I was introduced to Narnia by a well-meaning friend back in my university days (in a decade which will not be named but was some 40 years ago 😉 . He was excited by a book he'd just read (LWW) and wanted me to read it. Unfortunately in his enthusiasm he gave a detailed plot description and "decoded" the spiritual elements, so those were not new to me when I first read it. Still, I liked it enough to seek out the other books.

But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 9, 2022 1:58 pm
johobbit liked
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I've always had Narnia. Some of my earliest memories are of the BBC version, and the Second Chapter of Acts album Roar of Love. My next-younger sibling has a Narnian namesake.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2023 1:10 am
Courtenay liked
Ginnerva
(@ginnerva)
NarniaWeb Newbie

I first read Narnia when I was 8 and I loved it. I finished reading it for the first time at 9. Again, I had to pick up the books in seventh grade (just this year!). I enjoyed it a lot because I had to pay a lot more attention to the content than before as it was for a Humanities class and I would have to discuss it. We examined the details of Narnia and studied it in-depth. Also, it drew me closer to God as I saw Lewis's neat pictures that correspond to the Bible. Then just after a month on completion an assignment on the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe came up. That surely is my favorite book but now I have read it so many times that I can literally say what each character says and when....lol. I still do like the book but I probably don't want to read it for another 5-6 years. Right now, I am working on a Persuasive Essay for Prince Caspian. So I am reading that again now. I have also watched the movies. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe... just that one. And I liked it but of course no movie can meet a book!! If you know what I mean. So ya... those are my adventures with Narnia. Something I thought worth mentioning, when I first read Narnia... I started looking through every cupboard door 😉 Definitely, not following Prof. Kirke's advice. I still hope I can get into Narnia.. I mean who would not want to ride a golden, talking Lion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2023 3:03 am
coracle, Narnian78, Courtenay and 1 people liked
littlgriz
(@tina-cat-moma)
NarniaWeb Regular

My mother win inwas oldenuf to understand the books red them to me 

I’m glad she did. One of my favret times with her 

in aslans paws have a good day

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 30, 2023 9:53 pm
PrinceRillianIX
(@rilianix)
NarniaWeb Regular

My first encounter with Narnia was actually the BBC series. I saw a video for The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in my local library. I can remember the cover having the White Witch on it and thinking I had to see it so took it out of the library and watched it many times. As a kid, I loved it and remember being terrified of Maugrim. From then on, I found out there were books, read them all and then eventually got a DVD box set of the series so I could watch the other adaptations.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2023 6:36 am
BismDweller
(@bismdweller)
NarniaWeb Newbie

Got PC from a local audio book library when I was eight, it was the only one they had at the time. Read LWW after that and the rest is history.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2023 11:54 am
johobbit liked
hermit
(@hermit)
NarniaWeb Regular

My introduction to Narnia was when I was 10. My parents had got me a selection of fantasy books for Christmas. I can't remember any of the others but one of them was Prince Caspian. I loved it and not long after that got The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as well. Over the next year I ended up reading the entire series. I remember having trouble finding The Last Battle and eventually my parents ordered it for me. I had mixed feelings about that book at first; although I did love the new Narnia in Aslan's Country I was a bit upset at the end of the old one. Over the years though TLB has grown on me and now it's my favourite, although I still love them all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 31, 2023 12:40 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: