Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Favorite Narnia Quotes

Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I found this article about Narnia quotes. 

https://thinkaboutsuchthings.com/the-chronicles-of-narnia-quotes/

Do you like the selection?  It is quite a good collection from the people who prepared the article. I will always remember many of them even many years after I read the books. It is hard to choose a favorite, but “Courage, dear heart” and “Once a king or queen, always a king or queen in Narnia” and “The beginning of the Great Story” are among the ones I like the best. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 14, 2023 3:07 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

Ummm... quite a lot of those quotes are from the movies, not from the books. Therefore they're not actually by C.S. Lewis. That wouldn't be a problem if the film quotes were marked as such or listed separately from the book quotes, but they aren't.

(This of course doesn't mean  the movie quotes aren't good quotes, but they're not "canon" as far as the original author is concerned, and it's only fair that that should be acknowledged. It happens with other screen adaptations as well, of course. I love making jokes about hobbits having second breakfast, but I'm well aware that Tolkien himself never wrote that!! Giggle )

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2023 3:55 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay 

I wonder how they could list the quotes as being from C. S. Lewis when some of them are actually from the movies.  Wouldn’t there be some legal issues in doing that?  Perhaps the people designing the website thought they were exactly the same as the books. I wonder what their intentions really were. Now I do not trust them so much anymore. One wonders why they would take the trouble of posting the quotes and not have them all accurate to the source. It appears to be a Christian website, and one would think the people who designed it would want to be truthful about who said the quotes.  But maybe they just aren’t careful enough. 🙁

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2023 5:24 am
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee

@narnian78 I've no idea! But it happens with other authors too, as I was saying. (Winnie-the-Pooh is another prime example — quotes from the various Disney movies, or even from totally different sources, getting attributed to A.A. Milne.)

There's a really good book, The Misquotable C.S. Lewis by William O'Flaherty, that collects a whole lot of quotes that are either wrongly attributed to Lewis, or else often quoted inaccurately or out of their intended context. O'Flaherty has a blog as well, and that and the book are good places for checking whether a quote is genuinely Lewis or not. Here's alink to his blog — it definitely includes some of the film quotes. But I don't know whether it would be worth contacting the maker(s) of that Narnia quotes website and pointing out that they're including quotes that the original author didn't write. I'm guessing they possibly think it's all the same thing anyway...

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : February 19, 2023 5:40 am
Narnian78 liked
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

@courtenay

I have heard of Mr. O’Flaherty’s book and have listened to some of his podcasts online. He seems to be very knowledgeable in his subjects, and I am sure he is telling the truth. It’s a mystery to me why people won’t always quote Lewis accurately.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : February 19, 2023 5:59 am
Narnian78
(@narnian78)
NarniaWeb Guru

I would recommend The Quotable Lewis, edited by Wayne Martindale and Jerry Root. This book has quotes from many of Lewis’ works, including the seven Narnia books.  The quotes are referenced by topics in alphabetical order, and I am sure they are all accurate. I recommend buying it and owning it if you want a quick reference to the topics covered in Lewis’ works.  There are other books (some of them are devotionals) which collect the quotes, but this one seems like the most useful for reference. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 12, 2023 7:24 am
Share: