Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Morals and Messages in each of the Chronicles of Narnia Books

KingEdTheJust
(@kingedthejust)
NarniaWeb Nut

I have just wanted to mention Morals and Messages throughout the Narnia Series. There are many great lessons we could learn from in the Series and I wanted to mention the overall message throughout each one of the books.  I really want to hear what you think! 

The Magician's Nephew 

I think the overall message of The Magician's Nephew is "Consequences for your actions." Throughout the whole of the book, we see Digory experiencing the consequences of ringing the bell and bringing Jadis to Narnia, a new world that had already been defiled just when it was made. Also, at the beginning of the book, we see Polly also had a consequence for taking a ring by Uncle Andrew and starting some of the mess. Digory's consequence is that he has to go and get the apple for Aslan from the tree and not falling for the temptation. He would have to learn that he has to clean up his own mess. You also see the opposite of the moral where because Digory did not fall for the temptation made by Jadis, he can bring an apple home to his mother to cure her. 

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe 

I think the overall message of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is belief because all throughout the book the character are learning to believe in things they never thought existed. Especially with the older character as in Peter and Susan, who wants to act responsible and mature for their younger siblings they have to learn to believe in Lucy and Aslan and to trust the beavers even if they just came into a new world. They also have to learn to believe in themselves. For example at the end of the book when he has to go to battle by himself because he thinks Aslan is dead. He has to learn to believe that he can lead the battle even with no help from others. Lucy shows them how to believe during the course of the book and eventually, they believe in Narnia as firmly as they believed in any land. 

The Horse and his Boy 

I think the overall message of "The Horse and his Boy" (as mentioned in the podcast) is Humility and to realize your own self-esteem as it is and not as you think. For example, Bree and Aravis have the same problem of thinking that they are more than is actually of them. They struggle with pride and learn a powerful message of humility during the book. Shasta and Hwin are quite the opposite. They are both humble, shy, and modest at the beginning of the book, but by the end of the book, they learn that they have to speak for what is right and learn they are more than what they are because of their humility. Lastly, I want to mention Rabadash. He learns humility because his consequence at the end of the book is because of his pride. 

Prince Caspian 

I think the overall message of "Prince Caspian" is change and growth. During the book, the Pevnesies realize this adventure is not at all like their first. They are faced with new challenges and problems and the Narnia they knew is not the Narnia that they came back to. Lucy is pushed by peer pressure and doesn't come to Aslan no matter what. Peter and Susan are pressed for their belief in Aslan and in their sister and eventually find they don't believe as much as they used to. This causes their last time to Narnia. A sense of Nostalgia comes when they find they are no longer the Current Kings and Queens they used to be. These changes and growth in who they impact who they are as a Narnian. 

Those are just a few morals and messages that I have found in "The Chronicles of Narnia" series!

"But even a traitor may mend. I have known one that did." - (King Edmund the Just, Horse and his Boy)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 17, 2021 7:26 pm
Share: