Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Middle Names for Narnia characters

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

In the series, the only character to have a middle name that we know of is Eustace (Eustace Clarence Scrubb). Sometimes I wonder if the other characters would have a middle name. Though I imagine that the royal Narnia families and the upper class, especially in Calormen, would have two middle names. Some of the characters I'd thought of were-

Peter Andrew (in reference to the two brothers, Peter and Andrew)

Susan Phyllis

Edmund Henry

Lucy Rose

Jill Margaret

Polly Anne

Digory Edward

What middle names would you choose for each Narnia character?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 23, 2022 11:18 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

Margaret and Rose are very good for their time.  Girls were often named after the two little princesses, Elizabeth and Margaret Rose. Phyllis was my mother's name ;she was born the same year as Princess Elizabeth (our late Queen). I'm not sure how common it was.  Perhaps Susan Elizabeth?

I like the others!

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2022 12:27 pm
Courtenay liked
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

@coracle 

Susan Elizabeth would actually be a good one. They may have been popular girls names at the time.

I think Polly Anne and Lucy Rose could also be an reference to the four children that C.S Lewis originally named- Ann (though spelled differently), Martin, Rose, and Peter.

And I would imagine that the royals in the different regions of Narnia would have two middle names, as it is kind of common for upper class to have two middle names.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 23, 2022 12:41 pm
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

@jasmine_tarkheena I had so many schoolfriends with an Auntie Margaret. Elizabeth is Biblical of course, but I'm sure that the Elizabeths I knew in my age group and older were from the Princess.

Not everyone had a middle name; my parents and their siblings didn't.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 23, 2022 1:18 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

Elizabeth is the name of the mother of John the Baptist and the cousin of Mary, the mother of Jesus. I think it grew into popuarlity in the 15th or 16th century, perhaps for Queen Elizabeth I. I have a cousin named Elizabeth, and three of my cousins are named Andrea Elizabeth, Jordan Elizabeth, and Kylie Elizabeth. So it kind of runs in our family.

Perhaps for the royals of Narnia, Frank Martin Thomas and Helen Victoria Julia (perhaps in reference to Queen Victoria, which happens to be the last year of her reign when The Magician's Nephew takes place).

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : November 23, 2022 1:24 pm
Silverlily
(@silverlily)
NarniaWeb Junkie

I like the idea of other Children of Adam and Eve from Earth-cultures having middle names, but I am not sure how popular the practice would be among Narnian Humans. Is it a thing in Archenland, or in Calormen, or the Isles?

...I do like Rose for Lucy. I need to think about what middle name I would like for Susan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : January 12, 2023 12:22 am
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @silverlily

I like the idea of other Children of Adam and Eve from Earth-cultures having middle names, but I am not sure how popular the practice would be among Narnian Humans. Is it a thing in Archenland, or in Calormen, or the Isles?

...I do like Rose for Lucy. I need to think about what middle name I would like for Susan.

I think different cultures uses middle names differently. So it wouldn't be surprised if the different countries like Archenland and Calormen use the middle names differently than in Narnia. That is, if it is a thing.

(Emeth, The Last Battle)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : January 12, 2023 1:38 pm
Share: