Forum

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Is "The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe" An Easter Story?

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

We've had discussions about Is “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” a Xmas Story? As Easter is around the corner, how about The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe as an Easter story?

Now CS Lewis never considered Narnia to be an allegory. He said in a letter:

What might Christ become like, if there really were a world like Narnia and He chose to be incarnate and die and rise again in that world as He has actually done in ours?

There is the death and resurrection of Aslan. The Stone Table broke in two. How about after Aslan's resurrection, he and the girls have a romp (which both BBC and Walden omitted)? It's almost that feeling a child has on Easter morning.

Would you consider LWW an Easter story?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 27, 2023 9:10 am
coracle
(@coracle)
NarniaWeb's Auntie Moderator

I believe it is an Easter story, although it has a lot more in it. 

It begins at the end of a long winter; a lot of northern hemisphere countries are still getting snow in March. We certainly did when I lived in northern England in 2018!  Then comes the thawing, the buds and new growth, and spring at last! 

Children can play outdoors, meet friends (and enemies), and normal activities resume.  

Then we have the significant events of Easter, both Good Friday and Easter Sunday.  In our world there is no battle, but we do know that Christ's return to life shows a victory, and that ultimately the evil one is defeated.

There, shining in the sunrise, larger than they had seen him before, shaking his mane (for it had apparently grown again) stood Aslan himself.
"...when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards."

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2023 12:41 pm
Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru
Posted by: @coracle

It begins at the end of a long winter; a lot of northern hemisphere countries are still getting snow in March. We certainly did when I lived in northern England in 2018!  Then comes the thawing, the buds and new growth, and spring at last! 

You're actually right about that. There's a saying that goes, "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." It's pretty chilly where I'm at in the State of Oregon, in the month of March.

The winter turning to spring is where Aslan is demonstrating His power that He has come back after being gone for who knows how long!

Posted by: @coracle

Then we have the significant events of Easter, both Good Friday and Easter Sunday.  In our world there is no battle, but we do know that Christ's return to life shows a victory, and that ultimately the evil one is defeated.

After the Resurrection of Christ, it's like the battle has already been won, the work has been done!

I know that Christians and non-Christians alike enjoy the Narnia series. I wonder if even the non-Christians have picked up the Christian theme of Narnia, especially LWW?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : March 27, 2023 1:00 pm
icarus
(@icarus)
NarniaWeb Guru

This is another topic where I would have to outright reject the premise, if only because i feel the very notion of being a "Christmas Story" carries with it a lot greater social connotation beyond mere Biblical Symbolism than the idea of being an "Easter Story" does.

When we talk about things being "Christmas Stories" it's never simply enough for them to be set during the Winter Holidays, or to have some biblical elements - we usually expect them to reflect certain seasonal sensibilities such as Warmth, Family, Togetherness, Giving to Others, Joy and Celebration.

It's why you get a lot of debate around whether certain contemporary movies which are set at Christmas but not necessarily "about" Christmas (such as 'Die Hard' or 'Home Alone') count as being "Christmas Moves". It's something which reflects a much broader cultural tradition surrounding the very nature of Christmas stories in general.

I don't however feel the same is true of Easter as a celebration in the public discourse.

Therefore, yes LWW has some pretty obvious parallels to the Easter Story, but that in itself isn't enough to make the entire book quintessentially an "Easter Story" in that sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 27, 2023 4:52 pm
Courtenay liked
Courtenay
(@courtenay)
NarniaWeb Fanatic Hospitality Committee
Posted by: @icarus

It's why you get a lot of debate around whether certain contemporary movies which are set at Christmas but not necessarily "about" Christmas (such as 'Die Hard' or 'Home Alone') count as being "Christmas Moves". It's something which reflects a much broader cultural tradition surrounding the very nature of Christmas stories in general.

I don't however feel the same is true of Easter as a celebration in the public discourse.

I'd say the same, definitely in both the countries I've lived in (Australia and the UK) — Easter is of course celebrated widely in a secular way, with chocolate eggs and bunnies and so on, but it doesn't have anywhere near the same prominence in the cultural calendar as Christmas does. There aren't well-known "Easter stories" and "Easter movies" that large numbers of people read or watch regardless of whether they identify personally as Christian and celebrate the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. There aren't Easter carols, Easter dinners, Easter concerts, Easter parties and so on, on anything like the scale of Christmas in our societies.

So while LWW is meant to remind us of THE Easter story (in the Bible), I'm not so sure it could be called "an Easter story", just in the sense that we don't really have such a concept of "Easter stories" in our culture in the same way we have "Christmas stories". I have seen plenty of colourful kids' books with stories of the Easter Bunny — or his modern native Aussie counterpart, the Easter Bilby! — but none of them have ever become so famous and so ingrained in the cultural consciousness that everyone knows those particular stories. Not in the same way that some particular stories of Santa Claus, like 'Twas the Night Before Christmas or The Polar Express or Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, have become world-famous secular Christmas classics. It's interesting to wonder why that's the case with Christmas but not really with Easter, but that would be going right off topic!!

"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed."
(Prince Caspian)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2023 3:11 am
KingNainofArchenland
(@king-nain)
NarniaWeb Regular

Given that "Father Christmas" appears, that pretty much dispenses with any notion of it being an Easter story.

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 29, 2023 8:10 am
Varnafinde
(@varna)
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum Moderator

But after Father Christmas has appeared, the whole of Narnia goes from Winter to Spring in the course of a few hours - and then it's not Christmas any more.

(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2023 4:00 am
Col Klink
(@col-klink)
NarniaWeb Junkie

It looks like this opinion is unpopular but the idea of LWW being an Easter story makes a lot more sense to me than it being a Christmas story. While the scenes that take place at Christmas are important, they're immediately followed by scenes during Spring which are presented as even more important. None of the themes of the story have to do with traditional Christmas themes, like love or generosity, either. (Aslan taking Edmund's place is not specifically portrayed as being motivated by love.) "Easter themes," like resurrection and renewal, on the other hand, are a big part of the story. I mean the whole climax is full of Easter-esque imagery. The Christmas imagery is just in the middle. 

For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen check out my new blog!

ReplyQuote
Posted : March 30, 2023 7:43 am
Share: