The Funniest or Darkest Moment Poll was created on Oct 20, 2021

Poll results: The Funniest or Darkest Moment
Voter(s): 7
Poll was created on Oct 20, 2021
Prince Rabadash turning into a donkey  -  votes: 1 / 14.3%
14.3%
Shift trying to say "Aslan" and Rishda tells him "Tashlan"  -  votes: 1 / 14.3%
14.3%
The Chief of the Secret Police refers to Edmund "Fortunate Favorite of the Queen or else not so fortunate"  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%
Lasaraleen catching anyone talking about Aravis- "Beaten to death then burned alive then after that kept on bread and water for six weeks."  -  votes: 3 / 42.9%
42.9%
Tash talking to Rishda in the stable  -  votes: 1 / 14.3%
14.3%
Eustace swinging Reepicheep around, and Reepicheep threateneds Eustace somewhat  -  votes: 1 / 14.3%
14.3%

Funniest or Darkest Moments

Jasmine
(@jasmine_tarkheena)
NarniaWeb Guru

If you have listened to Talking Beasts podcast on Top 10 Funny Moments In Narnia (shout out to @gp and @risto for their discussion on the topic), they have mentioned that there some that have a dark side.

Time to address the dark side of humor. Some could be on the funniest moments or on the darkest moments. Here are the following-

The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, where the Chief of the Secret is talking to Edmund-

"Come in! Come in! Fortunate, Favorite of the Queen- or else not so fortunate!"

I've talked about this in one of my earlier posts about "Funniest Moments In Narnia", but the more I find it dark, the more I find it kind of funny. It's like Edmund is now in for it. It's bit of poetic justice, since Edmund has been a bully to Lucy. Now, what Edmund didn't know, he was going get bullied by the White Witch.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader, where Eustace is swinging Reepicheep around.

Eustace had him off the rail in a trice and very silly he looked (thought Eustace) with his little limbs all splayed out and his mouth open. But unfortunately Reepicheep, who had fought for his life many a time, never lost his head even for a moment. Nor his skill. It is not very easy to draw one's sword when one is swinging round in the air by one's tail, but he did. And the next thing Eustace knew was two agonising jabs in his hand which made him let go of the tail; and the next thing after that was that the Mouse had picked itself up again as if it were a ball bouncing off the deck, and there it was facing him, and a horrid long, bright, sharp thing like a skewer was waving to and fro within an inch of his stomach. (This doesn't count as below the belt for mice in Narnia because they can hardly be expected to reach higher.)

"Stop it," spluttered Eustace, "go away. Put that thing away. It's not safe. Stop it, I say. I'll tell Caspian. I'll have you muzzled and tied up."

"Why do you not draw your own sword, poltroon!" cheeped the Mouse. "Draw and fight or I'll beat you black and blue with the flat."

"I haven't got one," said Eustace. "I'm a pacifist. I don't believe in fighting."

"Do I understand," said Reepicheep, withdrawing his sword for a moment and speaking very sternly, "that you do not intend to give me satisfaction?"

"I don't know what you mean," said Eustace, nursing his hand. "If you don't know how to take a joke I shan't bother my head about you."

"Then take that," said Reepicheep, "and that—to teach you manners—and the respect due to a knight—and a Mouse—and a Mouse's tail——" and at each word he gave Eustace a blow with the side of his rapier, which was thin, fine dwarf-tempered steel and as supple and effective as a birch rod. Eustace (of course) was at a school where they didn't have corporal punishment, so the sensation was quite new to him. That was why, in spite of having no sea-legs, it took him less than a minute to get off that forecastle and cover the whole length of the deck and burst in at the cabin door—still hotly pursued by Reepicheep. Indeed it seemed to Eustace that the rapier as well as the pursuit was hot. It might have been red-hot by the feel.

So this is kind of dark because Eustace thought it would be funny, but you got to feel bad for Reepicheep. You feel bad that Eustace is treating him like that. You already know what kind of kid Eustace is, being new to the world of Narnia.

The Horse and His boy, Lasaralen threatens her servants when she and Aravis arrive at her house (thank you to @risto for bring this up on the podcast)

"Sorry, darling, it had gone right out of my head," said Lasaraleen. "Here. All of you. And you, doorkeeper. No-one is to be let out of the house to-day. And anyone I catch talking about this young lady will be first beaten to death and then burned alive and after that be kept on bread and water for six weeks. There."

It's actually one of my favorite lines from the series. It is pretty dark. Lasarleen lives kind of a extravagant lifestyle, which I think a majority of the upper class Calormenes do. We could talk about what Aravis's reaction may have been like in another discussion. But it makes you wonder, "How's that even possible to be beaten to death then burned alive then kept on bread and water for six weeks?" I guess it's almost like where Rishda gives a threat to the talking beasts that if they surrender to him, he would spare them, and gives a list- "the boar in a cage in the Tisroc's garden, the dogs in the Tisroc's kennels, and the unicorn after his horn is sewn off drawing a cart." I think it shows how much authority Lasarleen has, and what lifestyle she lives... and how she is threatening her servants on what she will do if anyone she catches talking about Aravis.

Also, The Horse and His Boy, where Prince Rabadash is turned into a donkey

They couldn't help it. Rabadash had been wagging his ears all the time and as soon as Aslan said, "The hour has struck!" the ears began to change. They grew longer and more pointed and soon were covered with grey hair. And while everyone was wondering where they had seen ears like that before, Rabadash's face began to change too. It grew longer, and thicker at the top and larger eyed, and the nose sank back into the face (or else the face swelled out and became all nose) and there was hair all over it. And his arms grew longer and came down in front of him till his hands were resting on the ground: only they weren't hands, now, they were hoofs. And he was standing on all fours, and his clothes disappeared, and everyone laughed louder and louder (because they couldn't help it) for now what had been Rabadash was simply and unmistakably, a donkey. The terrible thing was that his human speech lasted just a moment longer than his human shape, so that when he realised the change that was coming over him, he screamed out:

"Oh, not a Donkey! Mercy! If it were even a horse—even a horse—e'en—a—hor—eeh—auh, eeh-auh." And so the words died away into a donkey's bray."

I have talked about this in my post about "Funniest Moments In Narnia", but I actually find myself feeling bad for Prince Rabadash. He's childish, and he wanted nothing more than to marry Susan, though she turned him down (you go, girl!). Aslan was trying to get Rabadash to accept mercy offered by King Lune and King Edmund, and even to forget his pride and anger.

The Last Battle, where Shift and Rishda are at the midnight meeting.

"Now listen, all of you. A terrible thing has happened. A wicked thing. The wickedest thing that ever was done in Narnia. And Aslan——"

"Tashlan, fool," whispered Rishda Tarkaan.

"Tashlan I mean, of course," said the Ape, "is very angry about it."

I've talked about this in my "Funniest Moments In Narnia" post, but I find myself laughing at this moment. There's actually a dark side to it, though. It's as Shift was saying, "Hey something terrible has happened! The wickedest thing happened in Narnia! Aslan-" And Rishda says, "Ah, excuse me, but it's Tashlan!" Then Shift says, "Oh, yes, I mean Tashlan! He's very angry about it!" It's poetic justice, since Puzzle had to do what Shift said. Now Shift had to do what Rishda and Ginger say. I'm sure when Eustace and Jill here "Tashlan", they were confused. I sometimes wonder if both Rishda and Shift were trying to come with something impressive for both Narnians and Calormenes, by blending the names of Aslan and Tash.

Also, The Last Battle, where Tash talks to Rishda in the Stable (thank you to @gp for bringing it up on the podcast)..

"Thou hast called me into Narnia, Rishda Tarkaan. Here I am. What has thou to say?"

This is actually the only line from Tash in the series. It's like Rishda has been playing with fire, calling on Tash though not believing in him. And was he in for a rude awakening when Tash appeared right before him? It's almost like Governor Gumpas where he says the king's name, then all of a sudden, "Here's the king right here."  I actually feel bad for him, though.

So which is both dark and funny?

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me beloved."
(Emeth, The Last Battle)
https://escapetoreality.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/aslan-and-emeth2.jpg

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : October 20, 2021 4:40 pm
Crunchy-P
(@queencrunchytheweeb)
NarniaWeb Regular
Posted by: @jasmine_tarkheena

Also, The Horse and His Boy, where Prince Rabadash is turned into a donkey

They couldn't help it. Rabadash had been wagging his ears all the time and as soon as Aslan said, "The hour has struck!" the ears began to change. They grew longer and more pointed and soon were covered with grey hair. And while everyone was wondering where they had seen ears like that before, Rabadash's face began to change too. It grew longer, and thicker at the top and larger eyed, and the nose sank back into the face (or else the face swelled out and became all nose) and there was hair all over it. And his arms grew longer and came down in front of him till his hands were resting on the ground: only they weren't hands, now, they were hoofs. And he was standing on all fours, and his clothes disappeared, and everyone laughed louder and louder (because they couldn't help it) for now what had been Rabadash was simply and unmistakably, a donkey. The terrible thing was that his human speech lasted just a moment longer than his human shape, so that when he realised the change that was coming over him, he screamed out:

"Oh, not a Donkey! Mercy! If it were even a horse—even a horse—e'en—a—hor—eeh—auh, eeh-auh." And so the words died away into a donkey's bray."

I have talked about this in my post about "Funniest Moments In Narnia", but I actually find myself feeling bad for Prince Rabadash. He's childish, and he wanted nothing more than to marry Susan, though she turned him down (you go, girl!). Aslan was trying to get Rabadash to accept mercy offered by King Lune and King Edmund, and even to forget his pride and anger.

This scene made me wheeze when it came on but I can see why this could be a little dark. He could of simply avoided it at all by forgetting his arrogance and accepting the mercy of the good kings and the fact that he was being laughed at the entire transformation.

"Have a Narnian Day!" (ナルニアの日を過ごしましょう!)

ReplyQuote
Posted : July 14, 2023 9:48 am
Share: